Stayed here in a two bedroom apartment overlooking the pool area. The apartment complex itself is great, it's quite new by the look of it. The corridors, stairwells and pool all looked well maintained, the room was spotlessly clean, and the furniture in the room didn't look worn or anything.
The reason, however, that i'm giving this place 3 stars is because it is quite poorly run. As the room I stayed in was directly overlooking the pool, I did worry somewhat about the noise from the pool, as during the day it was quite noisy. Not complaining about the noise in the day, that's understandable, especially as this is a 'family' hotel after all with lots of kids staying there. There was a sign on the pool gate that the pool closed at 9:30pm, which seemed great as those in the rooms near the pool would be able to get sleep and not be interrupted by the noise from the pool.
However, the security guard that was on patrol (a contractor, not employed by the hotel) who was apparantly in charge of enforcing the pool curfew couldn't have cared less. She didn't do anything to stop people going in after 9:30pm and didn't do anything to get people out. She just sat in her office drinking coffee. There were splashes, yahoos and loud voices well into the night, it only stopped around 11pm when the security guard finally went and told them to leave the area. Even then, she just went straight back into her office and didn't actually see if the people had gotten out or not (which many didn't for at least 30 minutes after that). This happened each of the 4 nights I was staying there.
The morning after the first night, I went to the guard and complained about her not enforcing the curfew, she clearly didn't care and was quite rude about it too, telling me to complain to reception (which hadn't yet opened). When I did complain to reception, they told me to take it up with the guard. It seemed that noboby wanted to know about it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Self contained 2 and 3 bedroom apartments,large solar heated pool with gas heated spa and BBQ area's. Under cover secure parking. Right in the heart of Nelson Bay only a 5 minute walk to Bowling and Golf clubs and the Marina. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Mantra Aqua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Aqua Hotel Nelson Bay
- Mantra Aqua Nelson Bay, Port Stephens