“Worst Hotel Ever!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Dolphin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nambucca Heads
Blue Dolphin Motel
Fraser Street, Nambucca Heads, New South Wales, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Nambucca Heads
“Worst Hotel Ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Travelling from Queensland to Sydney when we needed to stop over somewhere for 1 night. Booked this motel based on what I saw on their website. When we got there though, it was nothing like advertised. It was a very, very hot day & the website advertised both air conditioning & a pool. The first thing that hit us was the heat coming out of our room. To make matters worse, there was NO air conditioning. Thought we'd go down for a dip in the pool (a picture of a beautiful pool is shown on their website) but couldn't as we were met by an empty pool with NO water. Frying of heat, my husband ended up sleeping on the balcony. The rest of us slept indoors with the neighbouring cockroaches which surrounded us. Awful motel. It's a shame it hasn't been maintained at all as it has amazing water views. But even the views couldn't save it...

• Stayed January 2013

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Port Macquarie, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Run down and has an uncared for look and feel. It is in a great location with beaut views over the river especially from room 17, and the RSL Club is nearby but this is one motel that I will not be staying in again anytime soon. I agree with all of the recent reviews - a disaster!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I (unfortunately) stayed here for for one night on the way from Sydney to Queensland on 13/10/12 and have to agree with all the other reviews here regarding the dilapidated and run-down state of the place. I think my room number was 11, it was downstairs near the pool which was not usable...it had no water in it, apart from about a foot of sludge in the bottom. When I first checked in and rode my motorbike to my designated parking spot, there was a car parked there so I went to see the office lady who told me that it was her husband's car and to park wherever I want. She wasn't rude but had a real "couldn't care less" attitude. My room itself seemed clean but it it had a really damp smell about it. About a week later I started coming out in huge red itchy lumps all over my body. It was so bad, I went off to the doctor to find out that I had been attacked by bed bugs!! I've since learned that it takes up to 10 days for the symptoms of bed bugs to appear and without going into further detail, I can 100% guarantee that this is the only place I could have been attacked. I am considering reporting this place to the health authorities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
314KenR, Owner at Blue Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
13.10.12 Reviewer registers in Unit 11, Blue Dolphin Motel.

29.11.12 Via email reviewer alleges he was bitten by bed bugs. We immediately checked the room.
WE FOUND NO BED BUGS
29.11.12 Our main cleaner had worked in Nth Qld and was familiar with bed bugs.
SHE SAID THERE WERE NO BED BUGS.
Nevertheless, we insisted she check the mattress and linen.
THERE WERE NO BED BUGS.
To be absolutely certain we checked every room on both floors.
THERE WERE NO BED BUGS.

29.11.12 Via email reviewer requests reimbursement of accommodation and medical expenses. We invited Council to send their health inspector. The advice was given that a private pest inspector would be better so that Council would be seen to be unbiased.

(At the same time, a "review" was published in Trip Advisor without substantiation of allegations.)

03.12.12 A licensed pest inspector was requested to check all units thoroughly.
THE INSPECTOR FOUND NO BED BUGS IN UNIT 11 OR ANY OTHER UNIT.

It should be noted that there were previous guests, who had occupied Unit 11, before and after 13 October, 2012. They made no complaints. This seemed strange.
IF THERE WERE BED BUGS, WHY HADN'T PREVIOUS GUESTS COMPLAINED?

30.11.12 Via email we requested a copy of the doctor's report and waited for a response.

01.12.12 Reviewer advised he would send doctor's report and photographs, but nothing arrived.

Late March 2013 We received hints that we should check the website of Trip Advisor.
We did. We were astonished that unsubstantiated allegations could be published.
Eudlo, QLD, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here on a recommendation of some friends who had stayed there about 20 years ago.
But I must say these friends only said that it has a million-dollar view, and that it was built in 1958.
The room was clean, and the view is spectacular, (room 17), but that is where the bad begins, single bed was not usable, and the swollen and flaking chipboard was everywhere.
The pool is obviously not usable, and the derelict cars and boats in the car-park are a disgrace.
The whole place is due for the wreckers.
Enough said, don't stay here if you want a tiny bit of comfort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I've had the profound misfortune of spending a night in this [--] hole earlier this year. Yes, same deal, arrived late and everywhere else was full. If I had only had the sense to look before I handed over the plastic, I would have willingly driven the 400 klms home to avoid this hovel. The state of disrepair is of biblical proportions, incredible that any motel can continue to operate in the condition this place is in. Here is wisdom, what ever you do, regardless of how desperate you are, sleep in your car rather that contemplate a night here. I've got some great photos, check them out.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stayed here 1 night coming back to Sydney from QLD - all other hotels fully booked. The hotel needs MAJOR renovations, repairs and should be inspected to see how it measures up to health and safety regulations (poorly I would think). It was very run down, the pool didn't look usable, the foyer was full of old box TVs and kettles etc. Rubbish was piled up and overflowing in the carpark area. In the morning linen from some rooms was thrown down a external staircase to the dirty pool area. It was still there when we left.The room was smelly and musty with the noisiest air conditioner situated right next to the head end of the bed so that it blasted whoever was on that side of the bed. The electricals looked dangerous and the chairs in the room were plastic chairs from outside and were very dirty. Cups had a good coating of dust, Bathroom had mildew, a shelf that was broken and there was a large hole in the wall with what looked like a motor wedged in absolutely covered in rust and dirt (Exhaust fan???), The tariff was expensive and service poor. Manager (or owner?) seemed totally disinterested.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

this motel is very old and tired; room was clean but carpet had stained. there were bags of rubbish in the car park the two days we stayed and an old matress; this was unsightly. there are certainly newer and better places to stay but if you are stuck like we were (the other places were fully booked at Christmas) it would be ok for a night as long as dont expect much more than a somewhat clean room, an old style tv and a truely amazing view of the river and ocean.
room had a microwave but limited utensils.
the pool is now filled and working BTW but much nicer to walk to the river for a swim.

Room Tip: the family rooms have a double in a seperate walled off area if this is important to you. avoid if y...