“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monarch Hotel Motel

Monarch Hotel Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moruya
Monarch Hotel Motel
50 Vulcan Street, Moruya, New South Wales 2537, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Moruya
Brisbane, Australia
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I booked one of the suites at this hotel at a very reasonable rate over the long weekend in October. Being a hotel/motel my expectations were not particularly high but was pleasantly surprised by the room. It was large with a comfortable bed, good sized bathroom and even a microwave. I was concerned with being on the highway it may of been noisy but this was not the case. The staff were friendly and the addition of a free continental breakfast in great old dining room the next morning made the stay a very pleasant one.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I read the review after booking the hotel and find it a little bit unjust. It is a country pub hotel and I don't think it is for family who is looking for facilities in a hotel. Our stay was excellent. I love the mix colour of hotel. Its mix and match and a tad daggy but its just remind me of the 70's though I was not born during that era.
The pub got a good beers and pokies and the service is really friendly and its just what you expect in a country.
The room was clean and bathroom was excellent. The spa was working perfectly and we also got a bubble bath liquid provided (it was a kid one but still do the job). Some of the curtain need replacing due to wear and tear and the aircon need a tad cleaning. There were few stain mark on the bed cover but other than that our stay were fantastic! Michel was really friendly and polite. If you looking for a place that is really value for money then this is the one.
For the previous commenter I have to say that you should not expect much for the price that you are willing to pay. This is a basic hotel and it does a basic service. Anything else is an extra.
We have been to 5 star hotel or higher and paid reasonable price for those stay, the service and the quality was much better. But if I'm paying 500 a night or more for a stay, I would expect awesome experience (in which some were not), buy not when we pay 85 a night or less in some other rooms.
I really enjoy my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone that looking for simple but nice stay so they can spend more on food, attractions and sightseeing around the area.

Room Tip: get the room on the side street. you can hear the traffic a bit but its not much at all. I sleep nic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My mother & I were booked into the Monarch Hotel Motel in Moruya for 2 nights to visit relatives in the town. We had booked online & didn't realise it was actually a pub rather than a motel. We checked in with our pre-paid voucher & went into the room, only to find that it was in desperate need of renovations & an update to the decor. Also, there was no bathroom facilities in the room. We went in search of the bathroom, which we eventually found at the very end of the corridor. It had only one shower & 3 toilets for about 10 rooms. The room was also not air conditioned & as it was one of the hottest days of the year, we decided that we would not stay & would instead search for a proper motel.

We take full responsibility for not thoroughly checking that this property is actually an old pub & not a motel, but having said that the photo's which appeared on the website where we booked looked totally different to the one we were allocated. Also, the website constantly referred to this place as a Motel & not a Hotel Motel.

My mother was contacted by someone from the Monarch when we returned asking why we didn't stay, but when she told him that the room was nothing like the pictures that we saw online, he told her that those photo's were not of the cheap rooms which we had booked.

So, a lesson learnt. Alwys check Trip Advisor before booking anything online.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We decided to stay on our return journey to Sydney after walking past this pub on the main street in Moruya.
I read somewhere this place was renovated in 1972 - believe me, the front part of the pub hasn't been renovated since - it's a time capsule.
As far as the accommodation is concerned, it's a regular country pub. My only complaint was that the rooms were hot with no aircon or effective fan. The sound comes in off the street (we had to keep the windows open).
But if you are paying $50-$80 for a room with continental breakfast included you really can't complain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

A last minute decision to get away on Boxing day to go fishing with a mate down the NSW south coast ... Moruya sounds nice and the Monarch was a reasonable rate.
Once you get past the colour scheme (very bright and varied),the accomodation is what you would expect from a oldish country pub and the value was quite reasonable. The pub could do with a bit of an upgrade, but on the whole it was both clean and comfortable, rooms cleaned each morning we stayed. The room with 2 single beds, wash basin, television was simple but ample for two people. The cost also included a nice basic continental breakfast and the staff were both willing and friendly. As for Wifi, it was available but clearly not working very well.
For two single blokes like us on a fishing trip, or if you wanted a cheap overnight stay, then this is just fine. Located in the main street, with parking off street, it is only a short walk to shops and restaurants.
Yes I would be happy to go back again.

Room Tip: Choosing a room not facing the main street may limit the noise from the few revellers late on a Frid...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I booked this accommodation on the strength of the photos.
Bad decision!
Obviously they are NOT photos of the $99 rooms.
Now, where do I start?
The room I was given was painted in striped colours of purple and yellow.
with purple bedspreads and curtains, one drape yellow and the other purple.
The washbasin which which was situated in the bedroom area was purple plastic with white and brown tiles very modern but not really suiting the rest of the decor. The bathroom I have no complaints with. It was clean with a shower and toilet. Pity the bedroom was not the same.I mean, I could have forgiven the bizarre decor if not for the following
The carpet was dirty! There was an iron. Great if you wanted to iron but where was the ironing board? The double bed mattress? Well, my two children started jumping on it as children are wont to do. I admonished them but them but when I sat down on it, I realised why. It was a cross between a waterbed and a trampoline. I thought that maybe the single bed might be better but no it was exactly the same. But things were not to get better. That night I did not sleep at all. This is no exagerration. The street lights came in from the window. The noise from the road came into the room. I could not close the windows at all and they are partially opened at the top.The walls are so thin, I could hear the occupant/s next door showering, coughing, talking, their tv, etc. And to make things worse, when I inquired about the wi-fi, the gentleman that showed me to my room had no idea about it. He gave me what he thought might be the password but said the owner would know. I went downstairs several times to find the owner but he was never around. I had booked two nights. I decided the next morning after my sleepless night that I would leave. I told the gentleman in the morning. He rang the owner who informed me that I would be forfeiting the night (this IS mentioned on the website). The gentleman said the owner would be coming in ten minutes to talk to me. So, I waited and waited and waited and waited for thirty minutes!!! Meanwhile, thinking it would only be ten, I had the kids waiting in the car for me. When he finally came (he is the guy in the photo), he nodded at me, then I said I was the one who was leaving, he smiled, then obviously I realised that he wasn't understanding that I was the one he wanted to talk to. So, when I explained that I was the one leaving it turned out, he hadn't wanted to talk to me after all. So, I don't know why the other gentleman had told me that.
So, that is my story. Now, the good things: Like I said the bathroom is good. And the telly is good if you are planning a sleepless night. Brekky is included in the $99.

Room Tip: Don't stay there if you are a family. Try the Motel Luhana instead. If you're a backpacker...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Monarch Hotel Motel? Share your experiences!