“I wanted for nothing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bannisters Point Lodge

You added Bannisters Point Lodge to your Saves list
Bannisters Point Lodge
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   191 Mitchell Parade, Mollymook, Shoalhaven, New South Wales 2539, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mollymook
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“I wanted for nothing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

From the moment i rolled into the carpark - till the moment i left (kicking and screaming!) - i had everything my heart desired for a fantastic weekend away.
I was lucky enough to stay in the stunning Ocean deluxe room which had magnificent views of the ocean and the pool. Beautifully decorated and well appointed, i was really pleased with the room and the standard at which Bannisters keeps it. I love that there were great mags and books to flick through and good facilities to make a cuppa to enjoy on the sun lounge.
I had high expectations of the restaurant- and i wasn't disappointed. Great seafood and reasonable wine list to go with. I also ate the pool bar where the pizza's were delish, and where i also had one to many God's G&T's- please do yourself a favour and try one (or two) of these.
Breakfast is Great- a good ole fry up is what i had and it couldnt be faulted.
I cant wait to go back! The staff were so accommodating and friendly during what was a busy period, it is a well oiled machine at Bannisters- thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters Point Lodge, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your fabulous review Miss daley, I am thrilled you had such a fantastic weekend away. I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back soon!

Peter Bacon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Thirroul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in early December for our 10th wedding anniversary and what a great choice we made. We were in one of the luxury suites and whilst we were apprehensive as had read our room could get a bit noisy this was not the case at all. Firstly the location of Bannisters is gorgeous. From our room we could hear the waves crashing each morning, rather nice start to the day. Followed by a dip in the pool to awaken the senses. Breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic - a great selection and always plenty of food available. The service was absolutely wonderful. Be it from check in to the cleaners in the morning who would kindly get me a towel with a morning chat or the staff at the pool/pizza bar, (Rob in particular was great), they were all very attentive and always with a smile. We ate in the pizza bar on the Saturday night and the food, service and atmosphere were great. We then ate at Rick Steins on the Sunday night and again had a lovely evening. Service and food was good. My only complaint would be that the fish pie was not so great (a little overcooked) and rather tiny for the price. Everything else was lovely though. And a nod to the sommelier on that evening - a lovely wine choice. We hope this is now going to be our little yearly getaway. Thanks for a lovely time Bannisters!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear And1moremakes4,

Thank you for choosing Bannisters for you wedding anniversary and for taking the time to share your review.

We pride ourselves on our staff and I am very pleased to hear you were well looked after by all departments. I will certainly pass on your compliments to Rob, our Pool Bar Manager.

Our Luxury Suites have double glazing to ensure a relaxing and peaceful stay.

Thank you for your feedback on the Fish Pie, I will ensure Rick and our head chef Paul receive your comments.

I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back to Bannisters soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have stayed at Bannister's twice previously for only one night each time. The 1st time in early 2012 and the second in early 2013. This year my dear husband organised 3 nights for us just prior to Christmas to celebrate our wedding anniversary - 41 years - yikes! I love Bannisters and Rick Stein's Restaurant. We ate dinner in the restaurant twice and both meals were absolutely beautiful. The fish curries are the best. The breakfasts (included in the room rate) are really good. I think it petty that they charge extra for espresso coffees so I had the regular coffee and I think it was actually better that the capuccino I had the first morning - I thought that coffee a little ordinary. The rooms are not huge but they are more than adequate. Usually one would be out at the pool, beach etc. The 3 days we chose, unfortunately the weather was not great. However, the decks on the rooms are a good size and we enjoyed ourselves just chilling out on the sun lounges overlooking the lovely ocean. I am surprised at the comments re the rooms not being clean, we have always found them spotless and the cleaning staff are also very friendly and accommodating in doing the room while you are at breakfast or whenever. Some of the wait staff are a little over-zealous, especially the young European staff. Maybe they just need to learn a little more Aussie "laid-back" style. It is expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. I just hope we can save up some moolah to have another trip to Bannisters!

Room Tip: A room away from the pool area and restaurant is best - on the east side overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CMKEX,

Thank you for your review at Bannisters, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with some feedback.

It is always wonderful to hear from return guests and I am very pleased you chose Bannisters for such a special occasion.

I am thrilled you had such a wonderful meal at Rick Stein at Bannisters and will certainly pass on your feedback to the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

I hope we have a chance to welcome you back to Bannisters soon.

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

395$ room n°17, confortable, lovely view, well equipped but tiny bathroom: knees on the shower door when on the toilet!
Service very average, reception & welcome very unprofessional in peak season announcing a 4$ surcharge for expresso at breakfast as a major issue...bodes badly for the rest of stay. Restaurant delivers good (not exceptional) fish, but in a very unwelcoming atmosphere, and actually no special menu on new years eve & we are almost forced to leave at 11pm as the last table !! Wine awful, unless you are prepared to pay more than 70$ for a bottle. Takes four days to understand we need 5 seats and a baby chair for breakfast;..and last but not least, no breakfast available at 7:15am in morning despite us having forewarned an early departure on 2nd january. We shall not come back.

Room Tip: avoid 20 to 25 above the pool and pizza smells ; mind you there is a prevailing smell of cooking oil...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Iariflette7,

Thank you for your feedback, although I am very disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff and I am surprised to hear you experience service that was anything less than welcoming. I do offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the whole team at Bannisters.

Every New Years Eve, we welcome our guests from the restaurant to join our Pool Bar Party free of charge. I fear that perhaps your waiters offer was misconstrued as an attempt to move your party out of the restaurant.

This is certainly not the impression that we wish for our guests and it is disappointing to hear that you will not be returning to Bannisters.

Should you wish to discuss this matter with me, my personal email address is below.

Best regards,
Peterbacon@bannisters.com.au
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Love the setting, the service (brilliant), the food, drink, the movie collection and live music. Sensational part of the world. We would highly recommend. And I think we will come back for a winter break.
We came away for 5 nights to escape the city and relax.

We did not expect so many kids - unfortunately we have found it hard to relax properly around the amazing pool setting as there have been lots of kids screaming and having a ball all day (fair enough too - they are enjoying themselves) - just not what we were expecting. In the end it's been a case of heading to the beach or our room for some peace and quiet. So just set your expectations accordingly.
Agree with an earlier poster regarding coffee charges given we are paying over $450 a night.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike S,

Thank you for your honest review of Bannisters, I am delighted to hear you both enjoyed some R+R with us.

The Christmas and New Year holidays are the busiest time of year in Mollymook and we do welcome families to Bannisters during this period. I am pleased to hear that despite this unexpected factor, you still managed to have a very enjoyable time.

Thank you for choosing Banisters and I look forward to welcoming you both in winter. I think you find a very different atmosphere in the region, and certainly will enjoy some coastal tranquillity.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We just spent the last 3 nights here including Christmas Day.

This is not our first trip here we came about 4 years ago for Easter. We had stayed in the penthouse previously and that was lovely.

This time the 3 of us were in a Luxury room.

First lets cover the positives, the restaurant is fantastic. Breakfast was five star as was dinner. The view is lovely and I could have spent all morning on the patio reading and drinking coffee.
Christmas lunch was amazing, the food was some of the best I have had in five star restaurants in the city.

The property is lovely with easy access to the beach.

The pool area is great also, the pool lounges were fantastic, the pool was heated and the bar and food was great.

The service everywhere was very good from the friendly cleaning ladies to the young foreigners trying their best in the restaurant.

Now to the accommodation.
It was a one bedroom apartment with a sliding door to separate the lounge and bedroom. The apartment had seen better days from the furniture to the bed. Don't get me started on the prison camp rollaway they provided for my daughter. I was informed later they had just purchased new ones. Would have been great if we were given one.
The "Luxury" apartment needs a renovation. The bathroom is really terrible, with mould and grout.
Either the price needs to come down from $660 plus $60 for the rollaway or it needs to be spruced up.

On the whole we enjoyed ourselves immensely, we actually wished we could have stayed longer, however for us to return the accommodation really needs to improve.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters Point Lodge, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear mel2627,
Thank you for your review and I hope your family had a wonderful Christmas at Bannisters.
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, particular your time at our restaurant. I must apologise most sincerely for the mix up with your roll away. We have recently purchased new rollaways and disposed of their predecessors. Apparently one roll slipped through the crack and ended up in your room. I make no excuses for this oversight and I would like to refund your additional roll away charge for your stay.
I would also like to speak to you regarding your comments about the suite. My personal email is below and I look forward to speaking to you soon.
Best regards,
Peterbacon@bannisters.com.au
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

It's a nice place, but if you want to get away from people for the holidays this is not the place to go. There are people everywhere and even if you get one of the penthouses you will not be safe from their annoying ness. Go for a couples retreat massage and get interrupted by screaming kids because of the bad positioning of the 'retreat' area is not private and open to common areas that kids obviously enjoy screaming in. I can't fault the massages they were lovely and really relaxing until the interruption - after that it was just impossible to relax. Considering the amount we paid - it's not really good enough. They should have intervened and asked the family to control things.

The rooms are really nice but as I mentioned in much closer proximity to people than we got the impression of from the website. We are currently tolerating kids stomping loudly above us as well as screaming their heads off constantly. If it were a bunch of young people having a party the hotel would intervene but because it's a family somehow everyone has to deal with it. In addition the website makes a point of saying the hotel is adult getaway and romantic - not impressed. Frankly, I want my money back.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Zia,
I am very disappointed to hear that your stay was anything less than the tranquil experience you were looking for. We do advertise as a coastal retreat, however, we do not advertise as an adult’s only space. I understand the day you wrote this review was Christmas Day and I imagine the noise you were experiencing was due to the excitement of opening presents. I have spoken to our Day spa regarding your massages and I am sorry that we did not try to ameliorate the situation by better managing the noise or offering you inside but individual rooms. Whilst the majority of our guests are couples, the families we do welcome to the hotel are usually very respectful and relaxed.

Christmas and New Year period is our peak tourism season in Mollymook and like many coastal towns the whole region fluctuates with guests from Sydney and Canberra. Once again Zia, I am sorry that Bannisters was not the quiet hideaway you and your partner were looking for.
Had you experienced the hotel at any other time of the year I am sure you would have left with a very different impression. Should you ever in the area again I would be happy to personally guarantee you a more relaxing stay.
Best wishes for the New Year,
Peter Bacon

Been to Bannisters Point Lodge? Share your experiences!