“Friendly, nicely appointed, great views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bannisters Point Lodge

You added Bannisters Point Lodge to your Saves list
Bannisters Point Lodge
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   191 Mitchell Parade, Mollymook, Shoalhaven, New South Wales 2539, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mollymook
Sydney, Australia
“Friendly, nicely appointed, great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Like many others, my partner and I stayed overnight so we could experience Rick Stein@Bannisters and decided to lash out on a jacuzzi suite. Nice to see an old motel given a very stylish makeover. Loved the location and the view from our deck. Room was extremely comfortable and the bathroom nicely appointed...though I'll never quite understand the trend for glass bathroom walls, they're just a tad creepy. Service at reception was excellent and even offered to get my books autographed by Rick and posted back to me (I'm sure they're on their way). WiFi didn't seem to work but that just meant more time for the jacuzzi - strange that these suites have a deck that faces what appears to be a public reserve - I just hope any passersby were too busy stargazing to notice...Seems to have some great, reasonably priced packages for 2 day stays so we will definitely be visiting again. Thank you

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters Point Lodge, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear EdwardBR,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay our Jacuzzi Deck room and appreciated our cliff top location.
Rick was signing books on Monday so you can expect your parcel shortly!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Bannisters in not too distant future.
Peter Bacon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I travelled over from WA with mum & friends for a special treat for the Dinner & Days Cooking "experience" with Rick Stein. The whole event was very well run from start to finish and a must for foodies and fans. The 3-4hr drive down from Sydney was very pleasant and the countryside lovely to take in... Bannisters is in an idyllic location atop of the cliffs with priceless views from the ocean front rooms and very clean & comfortable. The staff are attentive, friendly & professional & nothing is too much trouble... Rick should be very proud of his set up and is a genuinely nice guy, passionate about food, interesting to watch in action & listen to his varied stories & the food here is exceptional. Worth a splurge!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TravelTrishWA,
Thank you for taking the time to share your family’s experience of ‘An evening with Rick Stein.’
It was absolutely our pleasure to look after your group and we were so pleased that you made the trip from Western Australia.
Feel free to contact me directly should you wish to make the trip again, we would love to have you back.
Warm regards,
Peterbacon@Bannisters.com.au
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Enjoyed a night in the hotel, upon checking in we noticed a problem with the toilet and was promptly upgraded to a beautiful jacuzzi suite. Location is spectacular and found the rates on this site extremely cheap for the room and view. Unfortunately didn't have time to check out the pool or the day spa but both looked fantastic

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters Point Lodge, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Gibbo623,
Thank you very much for your review of Bannisters. Its wonderful to hear you thoroughly enjoyed the views and ambiance of our clifftop location. I am also very pleased you were well looked after by our staff and the issue with your bathroom was resolved immediately.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip up the coast.
Kind regards,
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I booked into Bannisters overnight, not because I necessarily wanted to stay there, but because I wanted to try Rick Stein's celebrated restaurant, which is part of the house. The only room available was known as a "luxury suite" at $465 for the night. Now I suppose it was worth that much, given that it was directly above the ocean with quite a magnificent view. Had it been in the City of Sydney, it would probably have cost considerably more. I had a bedroom and a separate sitting room.

The bathroom had a spa and brilliant shower, but both lights were non-functional, which made life a bit difficult. Fortunately I could open the louvres into the sitting room and gain a bit of light.
Another quibble lies in the fact that there was no offer to help me with my luggage. As a septuagenarian I found it difficult to manage the various levels, stairs etc while carrying my luggage.

Breakfast is included in the tariff and it's here that Bannisters lost the fifth star. Despite the fact that my breakfast comprised just two slices of toast, and I had spent $465 for the room and $280 for dinner for one, they still charged me $4 for an espresso in lieu of the dreaded drip-filter stuff on offer! The ultimate in pennypinching.

By the way, the restaurant is very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear stayalotNewcastle,
Thank you for your review of Bannisters, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to review both our hotel and restaurant and am thrilled you had such a lovely evening at the restaurant.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your view and the rainshower in the suite. I am very sorry that you were not offered help with your luggage upon check-in, we do have a porter service and I have addressed this with our Front Office Manager.

Included in our rates is a fully cooked breakfast at Rick Stein at Bannisters and a continental buffet. As you will find in most luxury hotels the espresso is additional.

I would like to follow up on your comments about the lighting in your suite with our head of maintenance. I agree that lighting is a very important aspect of the functionality of the room and if it needs updating we will certainly address this as soon as possible. If you have a moment I would appreciate a quick email with either your booking number or the number of your suite.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Bannisters on your next trip south.
peterbacon@bannisters.com.au
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

There is not a great deal of choice on the South Coast of NSW, unless you are happy with white bread motels. This used to be one of those -- an unremarkable property that made the most of its stunning headland location with big windows and rooms all facing the right way. It's had a makeover since then. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable, the service very attentive. But it's difficult to disguise your roots, even if you are Rick Stein. Inside the room you could be in a five-star resort. Outside you're in a nicely appointed motel. However, when compared to what else is on offer on this long stretch of coastline (where all the best possies are taken by caravan parks!), Bannister's is a gem.

Room Tip: They're all good -- even the cheapest rooms have the great view!
Dear Boyd A,
Thank you for your review of Bannisters, it is lovely to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
We do have a truly unique spot on the coast and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the views as much as we do!
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you Bannisters.
Kind regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed for a girl's weekend and splurged on the Terrace Penthouse. I couldn't fault anything about the hotel. It was perfect. The staff were helpful and charming. The penthouse was flawless and had everything - fruit plate, iPod dock, dvd player, spa bath, plunge pool...

The day spa was fantastic. We each had the Pinnacle Signature Wellbeing Facial. The therapists were all excellent and attentive. The products were organic.

The only slight down side to our weekend was the restaurant. We shared two entrees, three mains and two desserts. The fish pie, seafood curry and ginger pudding were up to standard. The rest fell short of my expectations. Not bad, but a bit overpriced for uninspired dishes. That said, our lovely waitress arranged for our dessert to be sent to our room so we could run back to the plunge pool. A very small blip on an otherwise perfect weekend.

We will be going back.

Room Tip: Terrace Penhouse has a plunge pool and limited views, but also gets fumes from the restaurant. If yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review tenbillion! I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Bannisters.
I am thrilled you thoroughly enjoyed the penthouse and were well looked after by Tahlia and the spa team. I will be sure to pass on your wonderful compliments.
I am disappointed that the restaurant fell short of expectations. On your next stay I welcome you to contact me directly so I can ensure we regain your confidence and provide you with some outstanding seafood!
Warm regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed for three nights in what must be said is a stunning location. The room finishings were very good but the noise transmitted from other rooms and from the car park area was disappointing It just needs that to be attended to. We were asked to have our room free from 0930 to 1400 for servicing so it was disappointing to return to the room close to 1400 to find that it was still unserviced.
The Pool Bar is a must to visit

Room Tip: An ocean view is a must
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters Point Lodge, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear LesW2020,
Thank you very much for your feedback from your stay at Bannisters.
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our clifftop and pool bar ambiance.
I do apologise for our delay in servicing your room and any inconvenience caused. This is a very rare occurrence in our accommodation division and I can assure you this will not be case with any future visits to Bannisters.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Bannisters in the not too distant future.
Peter Bacon

Been to Bannisters Point Lodge? Share your experiences!