“Great hosts - noisy location” 3 of 5 stars

Poplars Motel
and 1 more site!
You added Poplars Motel to your Saves list
Poplars Motel
Lot 31 Old Hume Hwy, Braemar, Mittagong, New South Wales NSW 2575 , Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Mittagong
Lorn, Australia
“Great hosts - noisy location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in a family unit. Our hosts were lovely and went out of their way to be helpful. Our car had broken down in Mittagong and the owner drove in to pick us up which was very thoughtful. They even had the aircon running to warm the room for us. As we did not have a car for that evening, they also offered to drive us into town to get dinner as there are no restaurants or shops within walking distance. We had originally booked 4 nights but due to our car troubles, we cut the stay to 2 nights and were not charged, which was also very kind.
The room and furnishings were clean and of good quality. The toilet was separate to the bathroom which was just as well, because the bathroom was one of the smallest I have every seen! It was less than 1m wide and 2m long. It would have been very difficult for a larger person, or someone with limited mobility to get dressed in there.
The hotel website states that the motel is in a 'quiet neighbourhood of Braemar'. The town is certainly quiet, but the motel sits on the Hume Highway with traffic noise 24 hours a day. We could also hear another noise that was either a motor running in the motel or trains on the nearby track.
This motel would be great for those just passing through, as it sits on the highway, making it simple to continue a trip. Those planning longer trips may find the location a little remote and noisy.

Room Tip: The configuration of the Family Room is better than that of the 2 bedroom unit and the same size, ex...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I am glad I stayed at the Poplars Motel and recommend it to others considering "middle of the road" standard motel accommodation.

What I liked most about the motel was the service. The manager was very friendly, helpful and cooperative. For example, when I realised I would be checking in later than I had originally told him, I called ahead to say how far away I was. This did not bother him at all and he even went and put the heater on in my room, so it would be warm when I arrived. (Mittagong can be very cold.) When I made the initial booking by phone he introduced himself to me by name which gave me a sense of professional care and personal service.

The motel is not new, but nor is it old. It is not luxury and the light blue paint on the walls in my room gave a slightly cold feel, but this is only minor. The toilet seat was "loud". I have never seen such a bright coloured toilet seat in my life. It gave my partner and I quite a laugh.

Breakfast was also very good.

For the price I paid ($140 for one night, for two adults) I thought it was good value.

Room Tip: The motel is not in the town centre. If you want to go out and get something to eat, you have to dri...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed just one night. Friendly management, spotless and well appointed room. Motel is set well back from road, but still quite noisy, though no problem later at night, when there is little traffic going by. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed overnight on route from Qld to Canberra. Very good value, friendly and helpful management, clean and spacious rooms. There is some noise from the main road below the hotel which may disturb light sleepers. Parking at the door, mini kitchen for self-caterers and free wifi. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

we have stayed here quite a few times over the years and we have never had anything negative to say about this place. Owners are always friendly and helpful, rooms have always been clean and spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Although we visioned negative reviews of this Hotel, we still booked and were welcomed very friendly. The room was great as well as the location. Too bad is was raining but inspite of that, it was great. Free internet on the spot and they guided us to a good restaurant in town.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed here for one night only over a weekend. I usually stay at the Best Western Country Lodge, but have come to the conclusion that it's too expensive for what you get. I was able to negotiate a discounted price over the phone which saved about $30 by comparison to other motels in the area.

Poplars has been around for years and is next door to the former restaurant of the same name, although it is now a B&B.

The rooms are very clean with everything you could need. A comfortable queen size bed, flst screen TV, microwave and ample cutlery., etc if you need it. A nice size bathroom with good shower and complimentary extras.

Although the motel is on the main road, it is set back off the road - which menas that any passing traffic noise is muted and you can get a decent night's sleep.

The husband and wife owners are exceptionally friendly and make you feel at home from the start.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Poplars Motel? Share your experiences!