We had never heard of Lord Howe Island and it was recommended by our Travel Agent, all I can say is what a find! The island is a hidden gem with the nicest locals and overall attitude and ambience I have ever experienced.
This was topped off by Capella Lodge.
From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we have never been made to feel so special. The attention to detail of everyone who works there was incredible, but what made it even more special was that it felt like you were old friends, even though it was our first visit. As an example, my wife is vegetarian and each night she had her own special menu. The options were so perfect she had to keep asking to carry meals over for the next days menu so that she could experience them. The fact that the staff knew this before we arrived even though we hadnt told them was amazing - I am not sure how they new! Whatever we needed or asked for was easily accomodated, and it never felt like any trouble for the staff. People remembered what you were up to for the day so when you got back it was like being met by friends again. It would be unfair to single out any of the girls, or Mark, as all were excellent; attentive, and couldnt do enough for us.
As the lodge only has nine rooms we did have reservations that it may be too intimate, and the staff would be fussing over you. Please be assured that this isnt the case. Everyone measures their input so that they are there to talk to you, but its up to you how much you interact with them.
The island itself is beautiful and the ethos of not having to lock everything up due to no crime on the island was amazing, refreshing and in modern day society reminded us how things really should be. The values of the locals and their approach to their island is a lesson to everyone that they appreciate what they have and dont want to lose any of it.
I cant recommend the lodge enough.
A few quick tips:-
1. The flight luggage allowance of 14kg each is fully enforced. We had a rush at Sydney airport repacking our essentials into one case. Our other case would have been put on standby to arrive at a later date, but luckily the flight wasn't full and it all arrived together.
2. Get on a bike and take the time to explore the island, we didnt do it early enough and only found a perfect empty beach on the last day.
3. Be aware that flights on and off the island can be cancelled due to the weather, and you could be spending another night on the island. This didn't happen to us, but it happened once while we were there, and made us realise that if we had a connecting flight back to back with this flight, we would have missed it. If you have importantant connecting flights, it may be worth giving yourself a bit of leeway just in case.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Celebrated as the pinnacle of luxury on World Heritage-listed Lord Howe Island, Capella Lodge rests atop romantic Lovers Bay. An inspired architectural design welcomes spectacular views of the ocean, reef and mountains into the Lodge.A short flight from Australia’s east coast transports visitors to a real ‘treasure island’. Capella’s nine contemporary island-style suites are designed to complement Lord Howe’s pristine natural environment. Luxurious surrounds, exceptional island-inspired dining and unforgettable ‘first-name’ service combine to create an outstanding Lord Howe Island lodging experience. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Capella Resort All Inclusive
- Capella Hotel Lord Howe Island