Had been wanting to visit Lord Howe for a long time and had often considered staying at Capella. Capella was not available for the full week we were looking for and Arajilla did not disappoint. In fact, I feel it was the preferable option overall.
The location was central and beautiful and the food and service was outstanding. About 100 metres to the gorgeous Old Settlement Beach and turtles literally swimming around us! Also the best position from which to undertake large variety of scenic walks, and within easy walking distance of the little town centre, Ned's Beach, a variety of tour operators etc.
Nothing was too much trouble and they catered wonderfully for my gluten-free and other specific dietary requests. The menus at dinner were especially creative and we enjoyed the complimentary wines and canapes before dinner. The packed lunches were also of an excellent quality and there was an overall healthy, wholefood approach with plenty of yumminess! My one comment would be some of the music played at breakfast and lunch in the restaurant - some classical and other peaceful options would add even more to the relaxed ambience.
The accommodation was very comfortable...nice linen, good bed, upstairs room with TV and videos (with a rather awkward couch with impractical pillows), well cleaned each day. Probably would suggest thicker curtains at front to provide privacy and block out light if required.
The bikes and snorkelling gear and recommendations were great.
The spa was a little disappointing in comparison to everything else on offer. The treatments were very expensive and we were wanting deep tissue massages rather than Ayurvedic style massage. That being said, there was good knowledge about Ayurdeda from Scott and the spa will no doubt offer a broader range of treatments over time.
Bill, Jan, Kate, Harry, Rebecca and all the team were incredibly customer-service oriented and always accommodating, warm and smiling. It is a family business built up over 25 years and there is a real family atmosphere as a result - laid-back, friendly ....and importantly, very high quality and attention to detail.
Arajilla is excellent. Highly recommended. We will definitely be back. Congratulations!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renowned for its warm, friendly service and laid back ambience, Arajilla Retreat encapsulates the very essence of Lord Howe Island, offering guests a haven of tranquility and relaxation. Located on Old Settlement Beach, Arajilla Retreat is nestled under a canopy of Kentia Palms and Banyan Trees ~ meandering pathways lead through beautiful gardens to the beach, to the luxurious Ayurvedic Day Spa, to Arajilla's spacious suites and renowned Restaurant. Explore the extraordinary scenery and wildlife of World Heritage listed Lord Howe Island.. Be as active or as passive as you like ~ bushwalk, mountain climb, swim, surf, dive, fish, cycle around the island, play golf, lie on a deserted beach, enjoy a massage, savour fine food and wine ~ it's completely up to you! And it is all less than a two-hour flight from Sydney or Brisbane. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Arajilla Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arajilla Retreat Hotel Lord Howe Island
- Arajilla Retreat Lord Howe Island