“Big day out” 4 of 5 stars

Gympie, Australia
15 attraction reviews
“Big day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Booked on line a few weeks before ,and visited Lord Howe environmental tours the day before the climb . They asked about my health and fitness and explained what I was in for . The walk started with a nice stroll along the beach then it was all uphill . Mt Gower was covered in cloud in the morning and the track was slippery . After a rest and big drink at the creek the real climb started , lots of ropes and rocks . At the top the clouds lifted and the view was perfect , wood hens and kurrawong joined us for lunch then back down . I found it harder going down the ropes and the slippery track than going up . The group was aged from 12 to mid 60 and Dean the guide kept us on time and safe , he had a great knowledge of all the plants and animals we encountered . I had a great day , anyone of moderate fitness should do it .

Visited September 2013

Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“not a walk - climb is more apt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

While this is listed as a walk, albeit level 5, this is a very challenging activity. We had 15 people set out, and 2 did not proceed to the top. Early on you are challenged by steep climbs both in rainforest and grassy hillside, as well as inching along the cliff face with only a rope to grasp onto. If you are carrying any injuries, have a slower walking pace, or have recently been ill, you're best off doing the unguided self paced walks around Lord Howe - this track is not easy to follow. I found myself wondering how I'd get down when climbing up - and wondering how I got up when descending. Its been about a week, but I still have bruises from the roots, rocks, and sticks that I encountered. Using the shuttle service available to get to and from is also strongly recommended. My legs were wobbly and I don't think my feet would have been able to make the walk back to my accommodation.

Aside from the arduous trek, you are rewarded with spectacular views at most stages of the walk. Sometimes though you are just focusing on finding the next foothold. The view from the summit of the lagoon is beautiful. Despite the terrifying drop, the ocean is like sapphire beneath the cliff face. I would absolutely do this walk again - having appropriate shoes is essential, as well as clothing that offers flexibility, protection against the sun, sticks, and rocks, as well as breathable to allow for cooling!

australia
27 attraction reviews
“Wow What an experience !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

we booked our trip with Jack Shick and were really looking forward to a good hard hike. Let me tell you it's a good hard hike with some climing involved as well!.
Starting at sealevel the only way to the top is up, then up some more and just when you think you might be nearly there .... you go up a bit more !
At time you use ropes to assist you with the climb so strong arms as well as strong legs are the order of the day! ( especially on the way down!)
The stop at Erskin's creek to rest and refill water bottles is lovely.
We didn't have a view the day we climbed as the mountain was shrouded in cloud but we had Done The Goathouse caves walk a couple of days earlier ( a good warm up for Gower ) and the view from there is practically the same.
The rainforest at the top is well worth the effort , just beautiful , almost prehistoric.
I felt a bit scared on the way down as everything was a bit slippery but it is indeed a challenge i'm glad we did !
Good shoes and ,good fitness level and do something active the next day (swim ,walk or bike ride) to alleviate stiffness ... it definitely helps !

Adelaide, Australia
“Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Very nice beach, beautiful colours and views to the 2 mountains, just not a much coral as Ned's Beach.

Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Great day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

This was a highlight of our time on LHI. Need to be pretty fit, my wife made it about 3/4 of the way. Went with Jack who's a great guide. A must do.