“Would be great if it wasn't school holidays.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Salt Resort & Spa

You added Peppers Salt Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Peppers Salt Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Bells Boulevard | South Kingscliff, Kingscliff, New South Wales 2487, Australia   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Kingscliff
“Would be great if it wasn't school holidays.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Peppers Salt Resort 22nd-25th April 2014 in a 1 bedroom spa bath suite. The room was nice and quite clean minus the sand all over the floor but being near the lagoon pool and beach it is hard to eliminate sand! Housekeeping was great cleaned the room, made the bed, did the dishes and replenished towels. We didn't cook ourselves but the kitchen is full of anything you would need too make a proper meal if you wish. Amenities are great washing machine and dryer, full size fridge and dishwasher. Free movies and complimentary WiFi. We had a room overlooking the lagoon pool which was a nice view however it gets noisy with squealing kids early in the morning but isn't an issue during the day. The only problems we had were the fact we were in a room which shared the main door with another room and they are very loud, banging doors! It gets annoying, every 2nd room has this awful feature. My boyfriend even figured out a way that this problem could be rectified. The only other problem KIDS. The kids and families were awful we would've chosen not too go during school holidays but had no other choice. And we don't blame the hotel, that's all a case of bad parenting and disrespectful parents. Children should have fun we get that but constant squealing and running around the restaurant pulling out chairs and carrying on while people are trying to have a nice dinner is too far and even one child being naked in the pool! Yuk. If you are a parent who stayed here within these dates please help the rest of the world and take some parental classes before you take your things on another holiday :)! I guess if your a couple, young or old who wants some peaceful relaxing time choose another hotel if it is a peak time. Peppers is very family and group focused. We had breakfast included which tasted great and also dined at Season for dinner one night, also tasted great. Quail supreme is delicious! Would've been nice if the lady on checkout asked how our stay was. Overall a really nice break with only minor faults. Great location close too the beach and restaurants. Also easy for a day trip at Byron Bay which we did and was great. Definitely would stay again when it isn't school holidays. Staff were always pleasant.

• Stayed February 2014
Peppers2487, Manager at Peppers Salt Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear CelesteJade,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. Your comments are highly appreciated and ensure we maintain high standards of service to our guests. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and we would love to see you return for another weekend getaway in the not too distant future.

Kindest Regards,

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Runaway Bay, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights to celebrate his 70th birthday and were so disappointed with the service from start to finish. We were rushed through on checkin and no one else was around, I asked for assistance to get help with the luggage to the room as my husband is part disable and was told i am the only one on and can't leave the desk, I'm sure he could have called for assistance from another employee for help, I got the luggage up myself in the end, I wasn't interested in excuses. Got to the room and settled and went to turn on TV and not TV remote, had to call for one, promptly delivered. in the 4 days we were there our room wasn't vacummed once, our bathroom wasn't cleaned, just the towels replaced and a few amenities,the coffee cup dirty rings were on the bedside table for the 4 nights we were there, I miss placed my sunglasses and had a look under the bed if they fell under there and there was rubbish and dirty tissues under the bed for the 4 days, the service and cleanliness was way below standard for a high end hotel like yours. We were thinking of coming back in October/November to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary for a week as the hotel suits out needs but with this disappointment we may change our minds I would seriously think about coming back to the hotel again or recommend the hotel to family and friends

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Peppers2487, Manager at Peppers Salt Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Kaye,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at Peppers Salt. Naturally I am disappointed to see that your expectations were not met. Please rest assured that this is not the standard of service we pride ourselves on here at Peppers Salt and your concerns have been addressed and rectified. We would of course love to see you return to celebrate your 40th Wedding Anniversary and I would be delighted to personally look after your future reservation and take care of any requests you may have to ensure you enjoy a wonderful Anniversary.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed at Peppers Salt in January 2014 for 6 nights, and had such a lovely time that we came back for 3 nights in April 2014 before heading to Gold Coast for a work related trip. Obviously the first trip in January was great, but unfortunately our expectations were no where near met this time.

We stayed in room 5310, a one bedroom apartment, as a couple with 1 1/2 year old son in a cot. The bedroom was very bright during the day as the dividing doors from the living area are glass, so we ended up with our sons cot in the darker hallway and snuck around the rest of the apartment during his midday naps. This wasn't a huge issue for us as we were only there for three nights, but might be worth getting a 2 bedroom apartment if you have a napping baby or child and you want to actually use the living area while they nap.

The pool and local area are fantastic and the hotel definitely has a family friendly feel, however the manner in which management dealt with some issues during out stay was atrocious.

On check in on Thursday 3rd April, we weren't informed of any issues with the water, and proceeded to take our son for a swim in the hotel pool and had a lovely time until he got cold and tired and bit grizzly. Trooped up the hotel room planning to put him in a nice warm bath, but on turing on the water it came out deep brown. Like coffee with grounds in it. We called reception and were informed a water pipe had burst and we needed to just run the hot-water tap until it cleared. So we have a cold and crying young child and no way to bathe him. 2 hours later the water is still coming out gritty, and I gave up and showered him with me, which was a hugely unpleasant experience as bits of grit literally stung your skin in the shower, and then had to wipe him down with baby wipes to get the grit off after the shower, but at least the chlorine was off his skin and he was warmer. Talked to the manager that evening (5 hours later) and he suggested we could move rooms, but he informed me he had already checked a couple of other rooms and there was still grit in the bottom of the bath tub when the tap was run. By this time that was exactly what our bath was like, and frankly there was no point in moving to another room which still had grit in it. Discussed that this we were unhappy that we hadn't been informed on check in there was a water issue (apparently the pipe burst in the morning so they should have known by our check-in time), as we would not have taken our son swimming if we had known we couldn't bathe him afterwards. Was told when I suggested they should lower the room rate for the night since the facilities (all the hot water in the apartment) was not in a usable condition, I was told that it was out of their control. I agree a burst pipe is out of your control, but it is also not the customers fault, and frankly the room was not at the standard we were paying for, and I don't think we should have had to just accept that without compensation. The water stayed gritty for 48 hours.

To add insult to injury, the next day housekeeping came and did not clean the drifts of brown-red dirt from the shower cubicle or the bath. We called and talked to reception and the manager again and were told this would be rectified. Never happened. We cleaned the bath ourselves so our son could be bathed that day (with grit still coming out of the taps and settling in the bottom, but at least not cola coloured any more). So two requests to have the shower cubicle cleaned when unheeded and we had to clean our feet separately after showering the whole stay. After a major incident like a burst pipe and dirt running through the water system, I would have imagined a hotel with pride in cleanliness would have asked the housekeeping staff paid extra attention to the cleaning of the facilities, or at least responding to customers requesting a basic clean.

The water pressure in the shower remained pitiful the whole stay, whether from the burst pipe, pipes clogged with dirt and grit, or some other issue, but it took up to 10 minutes to rinse shampoo from my hair fully, and we couldn't actually rinse the edges of shower of dirt, since the water didn't even reach there.

My husband tried to use the gym on the Friday of our stay, and walked in to the gym to find painters cloths on the equipment and painter in there. Came back to the room and called reception and talked to the duty manager, who claimed she didn't know there was going to be a painter that day until they had turned up, and didn't know how long the gym would be unusable. Pretty poor for management to have no idea what is going on in their own hotel. Went back the next day to find the painting finished but the gym shut up with no airflow and the fumes making it unusable. Didn't bother trying the gym again.

Overall, we were so disappointed with the level of service and the behaviour of management at Peppers Salt that we aren't going to stay with them again, which is very frustrating as we thought we had found a good family holiday location for regular get aways.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lyn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Naturally I am disappointed that you experienced such inconvenience due to the burst water pipe, which I can assure you is not a regular occurance, and that your requests and needs were not met during this time. Please rest assured that your comments have been addressed with those concerned. It would be a shame for you not to return and we would love the opportunity to change your Peppers Salt experience and welcome you back to the resort again. I would be delighted to personally take care of your future reservation and requests.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Paying top dollar for a 3 night stay in a 2 bed plunge pool room was so disappointing. Room was not clean on arrival. Bathroom had a wipe over but far from clean, cockroaches in kitchen drawers and cupboards, carpet ripped and tripping hazard. Plunge Pool and both resort pools dirty and extremely murky. NOT very accommodating for food allergies or the restaurants across the road. Been there ticked it off and for sure WILL NOT be staying again. Staff were pleasant.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Naturally I am disappointed your stay did not meet & exceed your expectations. Your feedback is of high value to us here at Peppers Salt Resort & Spa as it ensures we maintain a high standard of service to our guests. Please be advised that your comments have been passed on to the required departments for review. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back and change your Peppers Salt experience. I would be happy to personally take care of any future reservation. Again, thank you for your feedback.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a week with our 2 grandchildren 6 & 8years old, bed and breakfast.
The breakfasts were great, plenty of variety, nicely presented and well organised considering the number staying. The catering staff were, with few exceptions, pleasant and obliging.
The reception staff too were courteous and most helpful with advice on all our queries, as were the domestics.
The apartment was, supposedly, self catering but though the were enough cooking utensils, eg. Pans, etc to prepare food there was only a small microwave and a small 2 ring hot plate to cook on. There was insufficient crockery or cutlery to have a meal without having to wash up between courses. 4 each of the following, dinner plates, cups, side plates, glasses, tumblers, knives, forks, spoons, teaspoons, were all that were provided.
Other than that the apartment was what one would least expect for a "resort" of this standard, serviced daily as required but not to the standards we have at home.
The location is rather isolated and after the 2 very nice pools there is very little else for young children other than the beach. The cycles were a saviour and the cycle ways made for safe and easy riding. It's about 2km into Kingscliff, a nice walk.
We were fortunate that the weather was very good as we were without our own transport which would have enabled us to enjoy more of the local attractions and nearby recreational locations.
In short if you want a beach holiday, to crash out and do nothing, have your basic needs to hand, then this would be OK. but for us on the whole disappointing.
To cap it all I having paid my account on leaving I realised that I had not been deducted $100 in house allowance shown on my booking, and, having paid by card was told that the system wouldn't allow me to have it credited back onto my card and that it would have to be credited to a bank account within the next few days!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are always happy to cater to your needs, and would love to see you return. If the need for extra crockery, utensils etc for your room are required, we are always happy to assist and can always provide on request. I am however pleased you were able to enjoy some lovely weather and the local area during your stay. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I've stayed here a few times, in a one bedroom suite. The bathroom, laundry and kitchen facilities are great. The beds are fine, but the living rooms tend to be very plasticy and have too many hard (wipe clean) surfaces. I guess that's for ease of cleaning. If there are a lot of people in the hotel, the internet connection is very slow. The pools are lovely, and the attached Golden Door Spa is worth a visit. The hotel provides pool towels.

Room Tip: Ask for one that overlooks the pools, not the road, as otherwise you can find yourself facing a subu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Liz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent stay at Peppers Salt Resort and Spa. Your feedback is highly appreciated and ensures we maintain high standards of service to our guests. It is pleasing to see you have stayed with us a number of times and we do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Peppers Salt in the near future.

Coolangatta, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Hubby and I stayed last night for our 16th Wedding Anniversary treat. We stayed in a one bed apartment with spa. Asked for quiet room with hinterland view. We were on the top floor (3rd floor) right at the very end of the corridor which was good, however when we went out on the balcony realised we were right next to the roundabout. Good thing with doors closed it was quiet, so that was ok. Well until we tried to get to sleep. It was really humid so needed to leave air con on low. Really needs updating as it sounded like a jet engine! Way too loud to leave on, then the fridge had its own jet engine (also needs replacing) so loud we had to turn it off to get to sleep. A couple of other minor things, still annoying though when paying big bucks. Made cup of coffee to find no milk! Waited 15mins to have milk delivered to room. In the evening when we sat down to watch a movie - no sound! Had to wait 15 mins for tech to fix.. Cords were in wrong position and one unplugged!
Apartment itself was really spacious and great floor plan, and modern furnishings. Not sure about the extra shower screening for the toilet? Bed was really comfy. Couch great size to lay on while watching TV. Breakfast was good, lots to choose from. The resort pool is pretty special, even has sand! Was going to book room with plunge pool, but thought the pool was shared with next room - not the case, is just not separated with solid structure, instead lots of nice lush trees. They looked awesome and wish we had off booked just for the pool. They are on the ground floor so not sure how much noise you would get from above apartment and street where we were. Overall pretty good.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Peppers Salt Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!