“Culinary delight in beautiful surroundings with exceptional service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spice Den

Spice Den
9 Dianella Drive, Grand Mecure Resort | 2487, Kingscliff, New South Wales 2487, Australia
+61 2 6674 8924
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Kingscliff
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Street Food
terranora
“Culinary delight in beautiful surroundings with exceptional service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The food, atmosphere and service was top class. The young waiter chatting to us at the Bar happily shared his knowledge of the local beers which is great for the area, as well as the international beers. The waiter taking our order offered suggestions with the menu for us first time diners. The flavours in the dishes were a taste bud sensation. Finally a dining experience us locals can proudly share with friends and family. Thank you.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Pottsville, Australia
“Delicious as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Spice Den never disappoints! Today we were treated to the same delicious, punchy Asian flavours and fantastic service we have experienced on earlier visits. We have been for dinner a number of times and today lunch with the kids - who begged us to take them back because they loved the pork buns and dim sum so much last time. We can't go past the crispy half duck, soft shell crab and barramundi and caramel pork dish but all of the dishes we have tried are fantastic. We'd also recommend trying some of the more unusual Asian beers and the cocktails are to die for. It really is the best restaurant in the area and we'll be back again soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burleigh Heads, Australia
“Amazing food, excellent service and well priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Myself and 3 others visited the Spice Den on the Sunday afternoon, and the friendly waiter, Mark, suggested we try the $45/pp banquet. Some of our party, were not too happy with eating soft shell crab so the Spice Den kindly allowed us to replace this section of banquet with another meal. Firstly we were delivered the vegetable fritters, which came with a recommendation on how to eat it to get the best experience. Secondly we were presented with salmon sashimi with some amazing sauce and fresh herbs as a garnish. The freshness, texture and flavour of these first two dishes surpassed our expectations! Up next we were presented with satay chicken skewers accompanied with fresh produce, when eaten as suggested by the waiter, was bursting with flavour. The next dish was Salted Squid with fresh herbs & lemon that helped balance out the entire dish. Finally we were delighted to receive mussel omelettes, then barramundi & pork, then the chicken massaman curry, then the crispy duck and finished up with peanut butter ice cream.

Eating at the Spice Den was one of the best dining experiences we have all had in a very long time. I would authentically recommend this restaurant to anyone from Brisbane to Balina to make the trip to experience this culinary delight for themselves, confident that they will be blown away as we were.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Best restaurant in the area, food was fantastic as was atmosphere. It's great to finally have a great restaurant like this in one of our regular holiday destinations.
Highly recommend the corn fritters, massaman chicken curry. Wine list was good and reasonably priced. We will definitely be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tweed Coast
“Disappointed........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We are locals and have enjoyed dining at Spice Den several times previously - the food has always been delightful and mostly the service is spot on. The last two times we have dined there though there have been errors made by the wait staff which have resulted in us receiving the wrong dish on the first occasion and on the last occasion they have totally forgotton our drink order AND our last two dishes. The first time it happened we just let it pass and did not comment assuming it was a one-off and we dealt with it. Even though they were aware we were served the wrong dish they did not offer to remove it from the bill and we paid for the dessert which we didn't order but enjoyed anyway - we don't like to make a fuss. Now that it has happened again I must admit that I'm not happy and won't be returning to Spice Den with my patronage. It started when I ordered a glass of wine from the waiter. He did not seem at all interested in my order and as he walked off I honestly wasn't really sure that my drink would be returning anytime soon. I knew he heard my order as he mumbled it back to me but it never arrived. I waited and waited but ended up finishing my dish without receiving the glass of wine. I mentioned it to another waitress who came to clear our plates - she went away and prompty returned with my drink order. Great I thought - I will enjoy this glass of wine with my next course - only the next course didn't arrive!!!! The same waitress attended our table some 10 minutes later to ask how our meals were. We mentioned to her that our final course had not yet arrived - we had been waiting quite some time and she obviously thought we had finished. She then set about trying to find out what went wrong and a few minutes later came back to assure us our dish was on the way. The dish ended up arriving and was delicious as always but it had obviously been forgotten about. We finished it and then went up to the bar to pay our bill. The waiter at the bar sorting out the bills gave our bill to our waitress to check - she then handed it back to him stating it was correct. I could not believe that we were charged for the drink which had been forgotten and also our last two dishes which had also been forgotten. I thought they would at least apologise for their error and this would be reflected in our bill. I did not want to take the matter up with the poor waiter attending to the bills as it was not his problem so we simply paid our bill and left. I'm sorry though Spice Den - you have lost me as a loyal customer. Obviously Management hasn't impressed enough on their staff the importance of keeping the customer satisfied.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
mark w, Owner at Spice Den, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Wow! That does sound frustrating. Firstly, thanks for taking the time to tell us your issues. We could not improve without honest feedback. Secondly, the experiences you mention in no way reflect our ethos or desired service quality levels. We are genuinely sorry for your situation. As you mentioned that you are local we would love for you to contact us directly to see if we can resolve the situation. We would love to have a clear understanding of the time and date of the situation so that we may assist the staff involved in improving. Thank you, sorry for the negative experiences and please contact us if you are comfortable in doing so.