“Disappointed ” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra on Salt Beach

You added Mantra on Salt Beach to your Saves list
Mantra on Salt Beach
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Gunnamatta Avenue, Kingscliff, New South Wales 2487, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kingscliff
Brisbane, Australia
“Disappointed ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

So excited about this holiday only to be disappointed as soon as we walked in.

The girl on reception was picking at her finger nails when we walked in, continued to pick her nails when I was waiting to check in - looked up at me and said " checking in?". No I'm just standing here with all my luggage because I want a coffee?? My partner experienced the rudest of our experiences with staff while waiting for a lift - two staff members with trolleys were also waiting for the lifts. Both staff took both lifts and closed the doors and making my partner wait for the next one. What happened to the guests taking priority?

Rooms are average - the sink was filthy and there was mould in the shower. I appreciate that the resort is highlighting the ocean views with the shutter blinds however I'd like to sleep in on my holidays which was impossible unless the blinds were closed which meant no sea breezes.

Breakfast was average most days - having cold eggs is not a way to start the day.

In our opinion it's very rude of the hotel to put all TVS on Hotel Mode which means you are forced to watch free to air TV or a pitiful range of Fox channels. So if you have children, there is no DVD player as stated on the website and if you want to keep them entertained with a movie be prepared to pay through the nose for it. I understand it's a holiday and TV is not the most important thing but it's nice to watch a movie on the days when it's raining or after a lovely dinner at the many restaurants in Salt Village.

Overall, I don't think this was the place for couples - especially school holidays.

It's very close to the beach and the surf club is great.

I'd comment on the pool but in 7 days I never got the chance to use the pool due to over crowding and the huge amount of children - I don't want to be splashed and listen to crying. An adults only pool would be a great idea.

Kingscliff is great - but I think Peppers will be our next choice.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MantraSalt, General Manager at Mantra on Salt Beach, responded to this review, January 21, 2014

It is hard to reply to comments on the hotel being full of children in the holiday season. Salt is such a drawcard for familes due to the surrounds, walking/bike tracks, creek, beaches and the pools. Mantra has 3 pools, one of the pools is tucked away and is a desirable choice from escaping the little ones in the wading pool and the family draw card lagoon pool.

I am disapointed to hear of your checkin. I recieve so may comments on the staff, friendly courteous and helpful- this will be addressed.

Sorry we missed meeting your expectations this time.

Kind regrads,

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Brunswick Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We just spent 2 nights here and almost everything was great, friendly staff, loved the pool, great sized 1br Ocean spa apartment and comfortable bed the only negative was a funny musty or previous guest cooking smell in our apartment.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Danielle,

So glad you enjoyed your break with us. Thank you for taking the time to review.
Cheers

Batehaven, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We have been holidaying in Kingscliff for a number of years now, and have stayed at Mantra many things. The property is in a great location ,good condition, and friendly helpful staff. But Mr manager, your specials are not so special. Not the room rates, the poolside BBQ special. We looked forward to the odd night having the BBQ dinner ,as it was a great treat of a selection of meat, fish and chicken cooked fresh ,and how you like it. The sides were a great mix of salads etc, but this year the price has gone up and the selection has decreased and the sides have disappeared. For a family wanting a mix we could no longer see a value in this special. $29/p.
You might think that's not a bad price, but when you have had the selection of a steak with a chicken piece either a sausage or two with a choice of a couple of salads and fruit with a bread roll, down to one piece of meat or fish or chicken (smaller sizes as well) and only one salad of mainly green leaf ,we felt the need to eat else where. When on hol's you still look for value in all that you do ,eat and drink... Staff as great as always

Room Tip: Still a great location and place to stay, on the beach front and hand to Kingscliff
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Sparkie Rob,

In response to your comments on our food offerings. Mantra has always aligned its pricing with the current market and local surrounds. It is a buffet style menu designed for the entire family and made to order on an outside BBQ.

I am glad the rest of your stay was to your liking and mantra has been your chosen accommodation for many years.

Kind regards,

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Our room was booked at the last minute and was rack rate given this is peak season. We paid for an ocean view which was fine and the apartment had a reasonable fit out, including kitchen. However the standard of cleaning was not good with grubby fingerprints on surfaces and the room looked faded and tired. The oven which we didn't use smelt of fish from a previous guest even when the door was closed The kitchen glassware etc didn't match as often occurs in units that are strata titled which takes the gloss off the stay a bit. Breakfast was not of an international standard in terms of choice. On the plus side the gardens and grounds were well maintained and the boardwalk is great for morning exercise. Good dining options at Salt Village connected to the hotel.

Room Tip: The beach looks great, go for an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks Ross for taking the time to review the resort,

As mentioned the leisure facitlies are a highlight for the resort. A little concerned on the lack of attention to detail in the cleaniness of your room and something I will address.

Kind regards,

Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here for three nights the first week of school hols. Surprisingly, it wasn't too packed which was nice. you could always get a lounger by the pool and it wasn't too chaotic.
The pool: Is great especially for young children. Our son (2) was able to walk into the lagoon pool and there is a small toddler area at the far end which was great.
Location: Awesome, you are out of Kingscliff itself though, we knew that though it didn't bother us. Walk to the beach, restaurants, fish and chip shop and a small IGA. Having a small child we got takeaway fish and chips two nights in row - was beautiful food and ate in the grounds of the resort.
The grounds are very well looked after, shame about the rooms though. This is where my review turns slightly negative I'm afraid.
The room (4202) had a musty smell quite overpowering after the room was locked up.
I went out to the kitchen one night to find a huge cockroach on the floor. Could have been cleaner. There was no room servicing which was disappointing also, kinda what a mum looks forward to when on holidays! But again my fault for not looking at the finer details more closely.
The final negative point, is I actually emailed reservations after reading reviews, and requested room that had been refurbished with a new bed. I explained I was recovering from an injury and it would be greatly appreciated. Kia replied saying it had been requested on our booking, but of course couldn't be guaranteed. disappointingly, this didn't happen. As I mentioned at the beginning of the review, you could tell the resort wasn't overly busy, so not sure why they couldn't do this. Perhaps because we got their special rate 'stay longer and save'? Who knows.
Don't get me wrong we did have a great time, but I will struggle to return even though my extended family wants to go there at Easter - we'll see.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Family of three,

Thank you for taking the time to review the resort. Our resort is currently working through replacing the bedding. This should be completed by the winter months providing a new an improved product.
Disapointing to hear you had issues with the room on arrival, however comforting to know your issues were dealt with promptly.

So nice you chose Salt as your family destination, wish you well on future getaways with your family.

Many Thanks,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

When we arrived the room wasn't ready,( we did arrive too early) the guy asked me for my Australian number (which I of course don't have) so he could call me when the room was ready, I offered him my cell number to which he replied he couldn't call that number. A blatant lie that forced us to stay in the restaurant where screaming children and their depressed parents sat by the pool. The food btw was very gross, no love at all. It was to much of an effort for them to come to us to tell us if our room was ready so I was expected to check with them every 20 min. Apartment was nice enough but for what you pay I expect service aswell and none was given. Everything is outsourced ( wifi/movierentals) so if you have a problem with anything the reception just smiles and says that it's out of their hands. So if you want to be surrounded by crying families, disgusting food and bad service you really should book a room here, you will not be disappointed.

The beach is very beautiful though.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MantraSalt, General Manager at Mantra on Salt Beach, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dissapointed to hear you did not enjoy Mantra at Salt.

I am concerned on your check in service. Our staff are held in high regard for customer service and these comments indicate we have missed the mark- I apologise for this.

Our food offerings are fresh daily and change seasonally to ensure the best presentation to our guests. This is not a usual comment from our guests, however I will ensure my team are informed.

I wish you well on future travels,

Lakelands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a hotel room which was very comfortable with a small balcony and a pleasant view. The resort is very busy but the amenities were excellent. We hired bikes and explored along the fantastic cycle paths north to Kingscliff and beyond and south to Cabarita Beach. Only downside was there is no housekeeping and the hotel rooms have no laundry facilities to wash towels. Otherwise, I would recommend this place as good value for what it cost.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for writing an honest review. I will take your comments on hotel rooms for review at my next meeting, it is a very good point.

Many Thanks

Lisa
Resort Manager

Been to Mantra on Salt Beach? Share your experiences!