“fun for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra on Salt Beach

You added Mantra on Salt Beach to your Saves list
Mantra on Salt Beach
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Gunnamatta Avenue, Kingscliff, New South Wales 2487, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kingscliff
“fun for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We loved that everything was there and we didn't have to pack toddler into the car to go to the beach or dinner.
Buffet breakfast was good and an ample selection. We were only there 4 nights and ate at resort which was easy. I hadn't realised cafes were all so close. Handy having IGA just there too - but we should have been more prepared with supplies.
The pool was busy with kids and I felt sorry for any couples without kids as hard to avoid but all the families were happy.
Definately worth having ocean view for outlook. Got the best deal with free upgrade the ocean view through Flight Centre. 1 bedroom fine and nice size balconies. Even though the hotel was busy it never seemed too crowded or noisy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MantraSalt, Manager at Mantra on Salt Beach, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.

We value all comments and trust we will see you again real soon.

Much Appreciated,

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I just returned from four nights at Mantra on Salt Beach at Kingscliff, and can honestly say it was a fantastic trip. The hotel is recommended, and my family will stay there again next time we visit (we stopped by the adjacent Peppers for a meal and it had a less inviting vibe).

The hotel's site is very deceiving. It is much bigger than what you're expecting. We booked a stay 4 nights pay for 3 deal in a 1 bedroom spa suite and were impressed with how big it was. The place is stocked well, with tv, stereo, dishwasher, fridge, cooktop and all cutlery etc., spa bath and shower, air con. Plenty of tea and coffee which we liked as big drinkers of both. We were situated away from the pool area, which I'd recommend requesting as the rooms near the pool seemed way too noisy given the popularity of the pool at all hours. Everything else was taken care of, with buffet breakfast and dinner put on by the hotel each night at Surge Restaurant and Bar, as well as a small gym which I made use of. I highly recommend checking out the nearby restaurants though, next to the hotel. Very popular and while expensive and in some cases heavily overpriced, the fish and chip shop and Salt Bar are great.

The best thing about Mantra is the vibe. The staff are friendly, no one gets in your way and everyone is laid back. It has a good atmosphere. Only downside is that the place is full of children, so if you aren't into kids and families this place is not for you. Otherwise, definitely go there.

Also, it's right on the beach. I swam in the ocean all day every day. It was great. A must if you're wanting to surf and swim.

Last recommendation... Get a spa treatment at Golden Door Spa. Very expensive, but it made my trip. Well worth the money!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the pool for quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
So glad you enjoyed your time with us.

This resort is fantastic for kids for all the above mentioned.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on line.

Much Appreciated,

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Went for the New Years weekend, very nice hotel, small room but that didn't matter, comfortable beds, well situated short walk to beach, lots of shops close by. You stil have to take the car out if you want a sheltered swim depending on the weather. Hotel pool quite small and not many sun lounges, as the beach conditions were dangerous and everyone was in the pool. Enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: had a room on south side which got the prevailing southerly with no common area noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

The team value all comments as it assists consumers with an inside view to a 'real stay'.

Glad you enjoyed your time,

Many Thanks,

Lisa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great place to treat yourself to sun beach pool and resort holidaying. Facilities are excellent and location by the sea perfect. Great eating options at Salt Village to suit different budgets and tastes.

• Stayed January 2013
MantraSalt, General Manager at Mantra on Salt Beach, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed Mantra!

Perfect for all the reasons mentioned.

Much appreciated,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Staying here for Christmas Break. In short summary the resort does not cater well during busy season. There are never enough beds around the pool - even at 7.30am in the morning we are unable to get one. The restaurants in Salt Village are over priced and rude - particularly the pizza place. Often a wait for breakfast tables and there seems to be a constant need to top up the breakfast supply which doesn't happen fast enough to meet demand.

Apartments are nice enough and reasonably child friendly apart from coffee and nest tables.

Definitely have a car so you can venture out if resort and avoid overpaying for everything you need.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

I take all your comments on board. I agree we are a very busy resort during these summer months especially during the Christmas New Year period and as everyone enjoys the morning sun over breakfast it can be busy.

Please make the time to visit the area in the quieter months if an escape is more your desire.

Happy New Year!

Kind regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Don’t risk it is my summary. I have stayed all over the world and never given a bad review here – this is my first. As you can see there are many varied comments, some good, some bad. That should be the first warning sign. I can see if you have a trouble free stay how this place would be a great holiday – the problem is too many of us seem to have problems!

Mine started with a stay at Mantra for my birthday weekend in November. I am a Club C U Soon member and booked through there. But when I arrived I was in a disabled room. What this means is the bathroom and shower feel like you are in a hospital – it is a really poor experience for a weekend away. I understand they have disabled rooms and if the hotel is booked they may have to use them – but the guests should be told this and either given a discount or given the option to not book because the hotel is full.

I rang reception and asked to be moved and were told they were full. A few minutes later they rang back and moved us – which I am eternally grateful. But even the move was fraught with problems – they booked the new people into the room before we had even vacated. The new family turned up while we were still there – very awkward. Which also meant they did not check the room between us exiting and the new family staying. I felt very sorry for the new family. I even got a follow up phone call later that day saying we had left some of our bags in our öld room - not so, these were the bags of the new family staying there. The mix ups continued...

We were also told when we checked in that breakfast had been added to our stay. No, I did not book with breakfast, but they told us they were giving it to us - again we were happy for a moment. But when we went for breakfast the next day, we were told we were not on the sheet. They rang reception – nope, we were not getting breakfast. I went to reception to discuss this and explain we were given breakfast when we checked in – we were still told we were not getting breakfast and that they had no record of us being told that and we should not have been told that. No apology, no explanation for the mix up – one minute we were told we were being given it, then they took the offer away. We ended up paying for breakfast anyway, but that is because it was 10am and we were already there and did not have a plan b.

The facilities are just okay too – I have stayed in far better. The resort covers a lot of ground – it is a rabbit warren – so you could walk for a very long time and not get to your room. Similarly the small pool is tiny for a resort this size. And most of the rooms look out over car parks or into other people's front yards and houses!!

Salt Village is okay, but I found the service very ordinary. This village has 3 big resorts surrounding it so clearly does not have to work hard for their clientele and this shows.

And don’t get me started on the pizza restaurant in Salt Village. The rudest rip off merchants I have ever seen. Do not eat there.

The one shining light was the Day Spa at Peppers – the Golden Door Spa. It was divine. Definitely treat yourself.

But all in all one of the worst weekends away I have had (and we do this about 4-5 times a year) - there are many other choices far better.

Room Tip: Make sure you stipulate in your booking "No disabled room"" Also ask for a room faci...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Vanessa,

I thankyou for your honest opinion of the resort it's layout and the surrounding facilites of the Salt Village. Some of these mentioned are out of my direct control,however so disspointing to read about the service and the mishaps which occured during your stay.

I sincelery apologise for the shortcomings during this stay. This is not what our guests have come to expect of this resort or a standard we pride ourselves on.

I have passed this feedback through to all team members who I know will be devestated with the comments.

Vanessa, please accept my apologies.

Kind regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights during early September, a little early for me to swim but a few kids were enjoying the pool.

This hotel was nice, clean and friendly staff. No complaints at all. They even moved us as our first room felt like people in the restaurant could see directly into our room, that was very kind of the staff.

Buffet breakfast was nice, not as efficient as Peppers though and sometimes had to wait but it's not a major issue.

We wanted to try this hotel after staying at Peppers and loving it, so my review is a little more of a comparison.

Personally, I'd rather spend an extra $20 or so a night and stay at Peppers, it's a bit more private (Mantra's rooms circle the pool), the movies are free in the room if you feel like chilling out, I thought the breakfast was a bit better - hey isn't that what holidays are for?? eating heaps, and they will give you a free late checkout if they can (Mantra will charge). I found that Mantra was a bit more of a family resort which isn't really what we are after.

Some positive points...
- The bathroom was really nice, and our room came with a bath that had jets, really nice bath gels and moisturisers.
- The room is huge for a "resort room" it had a little dining area, a kitchen, washing machine etc, bedroom that had cheeky blinds to the bathroom and some deck chairs to chill on the balcony, I enjoyed that a lot.
- The pool looked nice too even though I didn't brave it.
- The staff were all so friendly and welcoming.

In conclusion, I would stay here again but I think for a special couples occasion I'd rather spend a little extra at Peppers.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask to be moved, they might not be able to but they were very helpful for our...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Morning,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay late last year. It is fantastic to see you have chosen this destination again for a getaway.

This destination has great facilites and surrounds to make it an attractive resort for families. I thank you for your comments on our staff. Our team do strive to ensure our guests have the best possible experience and service,

Wishing you a fantastic New Year,

Resort Manager

Been to Mantra on Salt Beach? Share your experiences!