“Would have fared better if not for the cost...” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Would have fared better if not for the cost...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My partner and I visited after having been here once before roughly a year ago.

The service was 'informal' at best, and unprofessional at the worst of times. A disheveled sloppy waitress made me feel as if we were in a dodgy RSL which would be fine if we didn't end up paying well over $250 for the meal.

The food itself varied, my partner's snapper was dauntingly generously portioned, and my pork was dishearteningly stingy. The desert was tasty was nothing special.

I hate to make comparisons but there are pubs in Sydney that would rival the quality of this food for a fraction of the price, and without the romantic, special-occasion atmosphere I don't see the cost warranting the experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MasterGlamper, Owner at The Gunyah Restaurant @ Paper Bark Camp, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Misomiso,
We thank you for coming to dine with us despite the poor experience on this occasion. As owners, we are deeply concerned about this review and want to make sure that our guest experience continues to be of the quality that our regulars are used to. If you could take the time to email info@paperbarkcamp.com.au and give details of the night/time of your booking so we can work to correct this poor feedback we'd very much appreciate it.
Being a seasonal restaurant on the South Coast has been particularly difficult both for us and the growing number of restaurants in the area but make no mistake, we care very much about our guest experience and will make sure it improves.
Kind regards,
Ben

Canberra
“Taking diners for granted”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

With two New Zealand visitors, we ate at Gunyah on Monday 7 October. Our daughter had her wedding dinner there ten years ago at a time when we found the dining experience excellent. We have been there sproadically since,hoping to experience the same excellence in an unusual and interesting venue for visitors. We have always been disappointed (one reason being that the so-called 'special' has each and every time been salmon! Not much special about that!); on this latest occasion, we were closer to scandalised than to disappointment.

The experience was a disgrace - and a 'take'. They started modestaely well with the first courses, cauliflower and blue cheese soups (2), duck pate (1) and a squid so tiny it was closer to a degustation course size than an entree. Things then went from average to bad to worse. Two of us had snapper, one salmon and the other a lamb dish which implied a robust shoulder of lamb but, as my hungry carnivore of a husband said could have been eated through a straw. Again it was very tiny. The snapper was spoiled by being served with a few slices of pickled vegetables and the salmon was similarly leanly adorned. We had specifically asked did vegetables come with the main course. Oh yes, we were told. But anyway, being serious vegetable lovers, we ordered two side dishes to share, one of eggplant and feta cheese, the other some kind of water spinach. The former was tiny but OK, the latter was literally inedible. It could not be cut even with a knife and fork.

We decided to proceed no further with our meal but to retreat home for something pleasant to eat.

For the first time in a long time, we were not asked was everything fine (did they dare?).And to cap it all, they overcharged us by $68! We actualluy paid $320 for what we did have - and for the first time in many many years, we certainly did not leave a tip.

This is all very sad, especially because Paperbark Camp, where Gunyah is, mostly caters for overseas visitors. It would be a dreadful thing to be locked in there without a vehicle to escape and be confined to that limited menu. And pity Australia's culinary repitation. A Monday of a long weekend - tired out and run out of everything? Not an excuse in an establishment that boasts it is among the best. We will never go there again - and will advise friends similarly.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear June,
We thank you for coming to dine with us despite the poor experience on this occasion. As owners, we are deeply concerned about this review and want to make sure that our guest experience continues to be of the quality that our regulars are familiar.
Kind regards,
Ben
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Enjoyed several good meals within a 3 day visit at Paperbark Camp. The chef/cooks prepared special meals for the children. I would have liked to see a bit more variety on the menu but overall worth a visit.

Visited August 2013
Bowral, Australia
“Yummo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Ate here while staying at the property in June - wow it was so good! Service was spot on, could not fault it and it was the perfect balance of attentiveness without being intrusive. I had the duck pate for entree while my husband had the squid - both were delicious and perfectly sized. I then had the lamb for main which was somewhat tough but still tasty while my husband had the risotto which was amazing, I had serious food envy! For dessert, I loved my dessert of quince crumble - I loved it so much I came back the following night just for that! My husband had the chocolate marquis which was good also but not really a winter dessert. Good wine list and beautiful atmosphere, this restaurant is well worth the visit and we will be back!

Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
“The Gunyah holds the monopoly.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed in the Paper Bark Camp for a night over the Queens Birthday long weekend (see the review) we were phoned the morning of check in and told it was booking out quick and was the only restaurant around, which is true. Pure convenience saw us eating here that night.

We were seated at a table for two, the waitress gave us the menu and told us the specials, oysters (I'm not a fan). We decided on the lamb and risotto. I was very disappointed by the lamb, it was nothing special, I had expected better quality for the price.
The seafood risotto was too salty, but overall quiet generous with its prawns, squid and snapper. The snapper was wonderfully cooked.

We asked for the bill but it was never brought to us, instead we gave up and went to the counter and paid the pricey bill for a starter and two mains. They also throw on a $7 pp surcharge for public holidays and sundays. Oh and it is not BYO!

I'd suggest taking a drive into town to one of the restaurants, try The Gunyah for one night, but eat elsewhere for the rest if you are staying multiple nights.

• Visited June 2013