“half day guided tour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Attractions in Huskisson
Sydney, Australia
“half day guided tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great equipment: not the usual plastic stuff, but some real Kayaks in perfect condition, including dry bag. Everything very professionally organised.

Tour guide Tracy giving us a long introduction into the basics and while paddling pointing out things of interest + great to chat with.

Tour was about right for my fitness level (I do exercise, but I am a typical woman with low upper body strength), so doesn't require young male athlets.

Ok, the weather was great, too, which added to the positive experience.

Visited October 2013

Batemans Bay, Australia
“Brilliant paddle training program”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The sea kayak paddle training program provided by Jervis Bay Kayaks is very well thought out and organised. I've attended three training sessions so far (Sea Skills 1,2 and 3) and two recreational sea kayak paddles and intend to return for more. I took my own kayak but they will supply one if you don't have your own.

I felt a bit odd making a round trip of several hours to get to Jervis Bay when there are training providers closer to home. What I found out very quickly is that many of the other participants had done exactly the same. I've met people from Sydney and all the way down the coast to Batemans Bay. They come because there is a sea kayak training program organised in a logical order, each morning training session building on skills from the previous session, and the business is big enough so that there are groups running regularly that you can join. Recreational sea kayak paddles provide a relaxed and enjoyable way to practice the skills taught in these training sessions.

If you have to travel some distance I suggest picking a weekend that has a Sea Skills session on the Saturday and a recreational paddle on the Sunday. Stay in Huskisson and make a weekend of it.

Even if you have done a bit of paddling before it is I think worth going back to basics and start with Sea Skills Session 1. Give them a call at the shop if you are not sure.

Jervis Bay is a beautiful location. From a practical point of view, no matter which way the wind is blowing there is always a sheltered spot to be found somewhere. Even when a strong southerly wind had the tree tops swaying our Sea Skills session went ahead. We paddled off a sheltered north facing beach.

I've been in the shop a couple of times. It can get busy - this is a popular business. This suits me as I like to browse. Never had any problem with service when I needed it though.

Negatives? Paddles and training are conducted largely on weekends. I'd like the option of weekday paddling as well. Not enough demand unfortunately. A minor issue.

Visited January 2013
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Useless Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I went in to see about hiring/buying a kayak and had a look at what was available while the staff finished serving those already there, one was a large man. He went and I was hoping for some service. After about ten minutes I went and stood by the service counter. Just then the large man returned and a staff member came out and served him straight away. I was now getting annoyed and asked if I was invisible and asked why the large man should get preferential treatment due to the fact I had already been there for ten minutes. "We are busy" was the feeble excuse as I had seen the few customers in the shop.
If you want service, DO NOT GO TO THIS SHOP!

Visited October 2012
jbkayaks, Owner at Jervis Bay Kayak & Paddlesports Co, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Adam,
Thank you for your direct response to a visit to our premises in October 2012. As you mentioned there was a delay in the response you received from one of our staff members on the day and you were dissatisfied with the inattentiveness of our Team Members.

It was great to have a telephone conversation with you to ascertain the events that lead to this review and I appreciate your feelings given you were interested in our product range and our sport. As I am concerned about your review we have made significant efforts to ensure that this will not happen again.

As mentioned in our conversation our Store is only a small component of Jervis Bay Kayak and Paddlesports Co and as we are a busy and very popular business , and it is often a challenge to staff for excessive traffic and on occassion we are stretched with providing service to clients already in the purchase process as was the case with the Gentlemen you mentioned in you post.

It goes without saying that our store has possibly the best range of Kayaks, Accessories and Activity in Australia and most clients are happy to browse at the extensive range until a staff member becomes available and we take our customer service very seriously as I mentioned in our Phone Call. I understand we may have let you down in this instance, but am certain that you would find our service to be up to parr on a subsequent visit should you ever visit our Town Again.

Once again thank you for the review and for receiving my telephone call and I appreciate your comments.

Best Regards
Ross Boardman - Director / Sea Kayaking Instructor Assessor / Jervis Bay Kayak and Paddlesports Co / Seaward Kayaks Australia / Mega Surf Kayaks Australia