“Service and more friendly service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Poet's Recall Motel & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gundagai
Poet's Recall Motel & Restaurant
You added Poet's Recall Motel & Restaurant to your Saves list
West St, Gundagai, New South Wales 2722, Australia   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gundagai
Canberra, Australia
“Service and more friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I must confess that I didn't use TA to locate this motel, as I wasn't actually planning to stay in Gundagai on Anzac Day night. However, due to an altercation with certain public officials in the wee hours of the morning on the Hume Highway, I was forced to make an unscheduled stopover. Now before anyone starts jumping to conclusions about my character and hence the worthiness of this review, *I* rather than the other party concerned have initiated what might be described as a rather more official review of certain other "services" which are provided around Gundagai. However, that is all by the by, and is just mentioned to set some context.

I was in a position of being left in the middle of Gundagai at 3 AM in a t-shirt as the temperature headed towards 0C, together with a rather frayed emotional state. My car was 30 kms away, there were no available public transport options, and trying to flag a truck down on the Hume at that time of night would simply have compounded the insanity that I had already experienced. Fortunately, thanks to the wonders of smart phones, I was able to establish that Poet's was one of the few/only places in town that offered 24 hr check-in, although suggesting this was for travellers with an advance booking.

Seeing as I didn't have much more to lose at this point, I gave Poet's a try and of course dragged someone out of bed. He was way more obliging than I would have been in that situation (even on a good night!), and quickly sorted me out by setting me up in one of the few vacant rooms left. This was way bigger than I as solo needed, but didn't come with a corresponding price tag. Personally, I preferred upstairs with the balcony views and a bit of extra distance between me and the SUVs that everyone seems to insist upon driving nowadays, but I can see why that might not be everyone's cup of tea for a lengthier stay.

I'd love to wax eloquent about the restaurant, the pool, and the gym, but as you may understand I had other priorities. Such as solving my ongoing public transport problem that hadn't really improved as daylight arrived on a Saturday. This is where Poet's service leapt into overdrive. I was driven to my car for nothing without even asking. I tried to offer taxi money but the chap wouldn't hear of it. We had a morale-boosting chat (for me) on the way down the Hume. I'd like to conclude this review by gushing on about country hospitality from a city-slicker's (Canberra) point of view, but that would be slightly incorrect. Suffice it to say that these particular staff, who I gathered are contractors rather than owners, work at Poet's frequently and blend in so well that they elevated my opinion of the local populace after an extremely unpleasant start the previous evening. Good on you for the consideration that you showed, and I hope the "what goes round comes round" adage delivers for you sooner rather than later (and incidentally as well for a couple of other individuals in the area)!

Room Tip: Go upstairs if you can handle it. Arrive at 3 AM without a booking during a period when Easter an...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Poet's Recall is one the more reasonably priced motels on the Hume. We've stayed here before and probably will again but we'd opt for the slightly larger slightly more expensive downstairs rooms next time - if available. The upstairs room was tiny compared to downstairs. Having said that we did manage to squeeze in two porta-cots for the kids but it didn't leave much room to move around the room. The bathroom was reasonably large though.

There's a microwave, toaster and fridge in the room. The free WiFi signal is very weak.

There was a function at the motel the night we stayed and some of the younger guests created a a bit of an annoying ruckus (screaming and singing and thumping up and down the stairs and veranda) but we did manage to eventually get some sleep. So our stay wasn't as excellent as last time we were here.

Again, Poet's Recall is one of the cheaper more comfortable options for an overnight stop on the Hume Highway.

Room Tip: Upstairs room was tiny - stay downstairs in the larger rooms if possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Welcomed by a very friendly receptionist, Jane I believe, and checked in with out any problems. Jane also checked out the local golf club for me and organised a discounted game, excellent golf course to.

The motel unit was quite large and well furnished. Also contained a significant amount of information about Gundagai and the history of Gundagai. Big bathroom and single bed. Big flat screen TV and al other facilities.

Attached restaurant produced a good quality meal and was staffed by friendly and professional people.

It is difficult to rate country motels with 5 stars because of the services they do not supply but I thought this was an exceptional motel in a lovely historic town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed in a lovely quiet downstairs room that was large ,with a very comfortable bed at a very reasonable rate. Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful. We also ate at the restaurant. The meals were lovely but be warned - generous serves!!! Couldn't eat it all. All in all very good value. We would not hesitate to recommend the Poet's Recall.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Our group was impressed with the standard of our rooms, given the very competitive rates the motel offers. Decided to eat in house as well, and many thanks to the chef who recommended we change our selection as our first choice was a roast that she advised had been cooked the night before. We went with her suggestion for a fresher option.
Front desk couldn't be more helpful and was genuinely interested in making sure we had a trouble free check-in

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Ground floor rooms a good size and apart from movement on balcony and wooden stairs, no excessive noise from units above. Would probably take 1st floor unit if visited again and save $30! Room was clean, equipped OK, good size bathroom (we had spa bath with shower over it). We were there in summer and while aircon was effective, terribly noisy inside and no adjustment for fan that just blasted away. Fortunately the night cooled as would have been impossible to sleep with fan noise. Wifi free but no signal in room so useless. There is plenty of off street parking with spaces allocated. Set well off road so no night traffic noise but hear locals as head to work next day plus yappy dogs next door when let out in the morning. Had a good sleep but the body was a bit stiff next morning from hard mattress. On site restaurant does not open for evening meals on Sunday.

Room Tip: For one night if not much luggage to move up stairs, would suggest 1st floor which is cheaper.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

An excellent very reasonably priced option for a stopover between Sydney and Melbourne. Compared to other motels in Gundagai, Yass or Holbrook, Poet's Recall is excellent value. A double room with a cot for the baby was at least 25% cheaper than motels of the same standard either here in Gundagai or in the other towns I mentioned. I would suggest that this indicates some other motels are way overpriced.

The double room we had was large enough to fit two travel cots and still move around. The room had all the standard motel mod cons - good air con, minibar, TV, a good sized shower and bathroom and a comfortable bed.

The staff were excellent - friendly and helpful.

The one minor irritation I have with this motel and many others like it is the free WiFi had connection issues and seemed to have limited range.

Being a small country town Gundagai has limited choice for eating out but I can highly recommend the local Chinese place Chan Kong for a decent feed.

Poet's Recall Motel is a reasonably price comfortable stopover to break up the journey between Sydney and Melbourne. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Poet's Recall Motel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!