“Very nice - room and facilities were excellent.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Resort Gerringong by the Sea

Save Saved
You added Mercure Resort Gerringong by the Sea to your Saves list
Mercure Resort Gerringong by the Sea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Fern Street, Gerringong, New South Wales 2534, Australia (Formerly Bellachara Boutique Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Gerringong
Sydney
“Very nice - room and facilities were excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

Bella Chara cater for all. The rooms are stylish and well appointed, the restaurant is good but a little pricey, there is a kids club next to the restaurant. Children are entertained while you eat and close enough to check on. Bella Chara has great facilities and friendly helpful service. Breaky was included and had a great selection. There is a pool bar operating, lounge chairs around the pool area, bbq facilities which you can use, BYO food to eat by the pool if you wish. A small kitchen, microwave, large fridge, stove. Pool towels also. A charming boutique hotel. We really really enjoyed our stay. Great quality. We will be going back for sure.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
NSW Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

We ended up at the Bella Chara by accident and were thrilled! I've travelled extensively with my 2 children to many 5 (and the few 6) star resorts and don't believe any have catered to families as well as the Bella Chara. The rooms are stylish and well appointed, the restaurant is fabulous, if occasionally a little slow, and the fact that there is a kids club, Jak's Place, located next to the restaurant is a dream. Children are entertained while you eat, but close enough to feel comfortable and check in if you wish. You can order your children's meal to be delivered to them while in the club enjoying painting, playing with toys or video games. What was most refreshing about Bella Chara was the pricing. We were treated to great facilities, awesome food and friendly service at great prices. Our stay in room 214, next to tennis court with full fridge, adjoining room if required, close to both the adult only and family pools, and day spa was a joy from check in until check out. More 5 star resorts should take a lesson from this charming boutique hotel.

• Stayed January 2011
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Nice hotel, really nice pool but the adults pool is not that nice.
Hotel restaurant is good and all the staff at the hotel are lovely.
Room is nice and quite spacious, but the sofa bed mattress was 2 cm thick and very uncomfortable and made squeeky noises every time you moved.
The lock on the bathroom door was faulty and so was the lock on the main door.
The view was supposed to be a garden view but it was a view of a few weeds in dirt and a wooden fence and we got dvds for reception and thought they were free but then we got charged for them in the overall bill. Also its very expensive for what you get. Besides all that it was a fantastic hotel and it the only nice hotel in that area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

My wife picked this place thinking that would be a great place for a short getaway. The Gerringong area is lovely, with its beaches on one side and very picturesque country side on the other.
After viewing the photos online i thought "Great babe, can't wait, great choice".
Once you drive up the driveway at Bellachara, it seemed more like a Motel than a Hotel.
The outside seemed modern, but the way things were positioned it definitely had a Motel vibe.
Service was great at reception, can't complain about that, but when we got to our room our faces dropped and we thought to ourselves, what the hell is this?
We had organised for one of the balcony suites or rooms which was suppose to have a lovely view of the country side. Don't get me wrong the country side was there, you just had to look past the tennis court, huge trees and main road blocking what would be a gorgeous view.
Room was quite small, furniture quite tacky but its was very clean which sort of made things easier to deal with.
We had a door which separated our room to the next, it would be a great idea if this was sound proofed as we could hear all of the activities of our neighbours and there was definitely more than i wanted to hear, this definitely gave more of the Motel vibe to the so called boutique hotel.
The restaurant there was terrible. I'm no master chef, but when you pay the $70-$80 per person rate, i think its fair to say that you shouldn't serve frozen packet vegetables. I don't want to accuse anyone of not knowing how to cook but frozen packet vegetables is not a great way of proving you can cook.
The spa was not bad, i little expensive for pedicures and manicures. $80 pedicure and $60 manicures are a ridiculous price by any standard. We have recently stayed at a top resort in the Maldives and the spa treaments there were no way near the price Bellachara are charging. Also i don't believe it is appropriate to ask for a tip after your treatment. This is something for the customer to offer, not the other way round.
To conclude, Bellachara is a great Motel, but a Boutique Hotel it is not! I guess you have to try everything once in life.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Bellachara is a refreshingly welcome break from the cheap and nasty motels that dot the south coast.

Bellachara is not located on the beach however it is an easy 10 minute walk. We had a balcony room and the view to the mountains and across Gerringong towards the ocean was lovely. We also faced the main road however noise was never a problem. Even when we sat with our door open. The room was very large and even when we looked at their basic garden rooms so were they. There was a king size bed and large L shaped sofa. There was also a very large plasma, full fridge and kitchenette. I was very impressed overall.

There were 2 pools - the main one is absolutely stunning and has ample deck chairs and lounges. The adults only pool at the back of the resort is very nice but pales in comparison to the main pool and probably with a bit of extra love could be a beautiful garden lined oasis.

We had treatments at the day spa. They were very reasonably priced and both the therapists were professional and very good.

We also ate in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. The selection of entrees was not fantastic as the flavours were quite elaborate but that said the food tasted very nice. The mains were senstational and cooked to perfection, as were our desserts.

The breakfast buffet was also very nicely done although the pastries were a little stale. Again, everything else was cooked to perfection and there was a nice selection of hot dishes, fruits, cereals, pastries, juices, teas, etc. It would have been nice however to see on offer poached or fried eggs made to order. If this is available it was not offered.

Overall I would happily reccommend Bellachara. The staff are friendly, rooms are large, well appointed and spotless, food excellent and amenties very good. We would happily return.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
wollongong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

I was interested in Bellachara for our wedding. The website states that you will be contacted within 24 hours of making an enquiry. I made 4, using 2 different email addresses on the site, over a period of 2 weeks, and never received a response. Sorry Bellachara, but you have lost a regular diner at your restaurant and a 120+ person wedding reception. I will be taking my business to the venues that actually responded to my enquiries.

Stayed July 2010
bellachara, Sales & Admin Manager at Mercure Resort Gerringong by the Sea, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Our sincere apologies for the lack of response you have received regarding the wedding enquiry submitted via our website. We have tested this function and found that a technical hitch as disabled this function working correctly. This problem is currently being worked on to ensure other brides & grooms are not adversely affected. Your experience does not reflect the usual quick response time for wedding enquiries. On average we receive about 5 enquiries per day and these are actioned same day when I am in the office or on the next working day.
We regret that the problem with our website has impacted negatively on your impression of bellachara. If we can assist further then please do not hesitate to contact me directly on
02-4234 1359 or email: sales-admin@bellachara.com.au
Best regards
Tricia Ashelford
Sales & Admin Manager & Wedding Co-ordinator
Canberra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I have stayed at Bellacharra before and had a great time. I wanted to take my 2 daughters for a 2 day stay as well as book treatments at the day spa. I called bookings and asked if they could put together a room/spa package for me. I was told this wouldn't be a problem and something would be emailed to me. Four days later I rang again and said that I hadn't received anything. I couldn't speak to the original girl as she was away and was told that someone would ring me at 4pm that afternoon to arrange the booking. That was 8 days ago and nearly two weeks since my original call. It was going to be a special time for my daughters and myself and I was prepared to pay a lot of money to make it a great occasion. I am not prepared to contact them again as I am the customer and they are running a substandard business that they expect people to pay a lot of money for. I will be taking my money and business elsewhere and will not be recommending the hotel to any of my friends. It is their loss.

Stayed June 2010

Been to Mercure Resort Gerringong by the Sea? Share your experiences!