“Reflections everywhere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Gerringong Resort

You added Mercure Gerringong Resort to your Saves list
Mercure Gerringong Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Fern Street, Gerringong, New South Wales 2534, Australia (Formerly Bellachara Boutique Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gerringong
Sydney
“Reflections everywhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

This hotel is pretty good for what it is. While it’s a good walk from Werri Beach (500m) and similar to Gerringong shops we knew exactly where it was when we booked, and Gerroa (v short drive) has a better child-friendly beach anyway.

Not sure about all the outdoor mirrors (the mirror-cure?) but hey, each to his own. Our room was large, with a giant TV, giant mirror and a playstation console (an interesting choice). There were two wedding parties on successive nights when we were there, and there was no noise.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The Mercure Resort has the potential to be an excellent hotel but is let down by poor management and poorly trained and supervised staff.

I first became worried at check-in. Although the check-in process was quick we were given almost no information and had to ask about simple things such as meal times. We were not asked whether we wanted two keys. In fact each question really appeared too much trouble for the receptionist to answer.

In our room key “pack” we found two pool towel vouchers. This is a really odd system – you have to take the vouchers to reception and you are given up your vouchers – then when you return the towels you are given another two vouchers. This means you are not allowed more than one towel per person – and this is strictly enforced!

Room cleaning was hit and miss with something missed on each day of our stay. The issues were only minor such as a cup not washed, a dirty towel left on the floor rather than taken away or coffee not replenished. But a basic supervisor check following completion of the cleaning would have resolved these without the guest being aware.

The restaurant at dinner was chaotic and to be avoided at all costs. The menu is limited but the food is good when it finally arrives – when being the real issue. To be fair on the servers, they were doing a very good job of trying to keep diners happy, but with food not appearing for long periods of time, the dissatisfaction levels on most tables were very high. With only a few items on the menu, dishes should have appeared quickly from the kitchen, but to say it appeared that they had “lost the plot” is probably being too polite!

Ordering lunch poolside was equally as disappointing. Coffee was served cold and half spilt in the saucer and the simplest of dishes were taking half-an-hour to an hour to appear.

Breakfast was little better. The choice is extremely limited and the hot food was anything between cold and tepid.

This hotel is a real disappointment. It has the facilities and the location to be excellent but it would take something quite radical for me to stay here again – and if I was tempted to stay I would avoid using the meal services at all costs.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael E, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Andy_L680
Thank for your your comments regarding a recent stay at Mercure Resort Gerringong.

I sincerely apologise that your stay did not live up to your expectations.

Feedback such as this is not always pleasant to receive, but this has highlighted areas of our operation that require attention, so I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

This feedback has been copied to our management team for review, and this will become the main topic of our weekly communications meeting.

Andy_L680, I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure Resort Gerringong, as this is not a true reflection of the service we do provide.

Mercure Resort Gerringong
Wollongong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I have resubmitted this review after revising it as my issues in the original review have been addressed promptly and intelligently by hotel management.

Management have advised they will now offer a lunch menu on Saturdays rather than just high tea and they will accept Advantage Plus cards for lunch. They will offer a set discount on Ad Plus cards for high tea.

I have seen advertisements in local papers advising lunch now on Saturdays, (not just high tea), so they have been good to their word.

Congratulations to hotel management for listening and responding in a reasonable, practical and timely manner.

I have also received the menus via email, (mentioned in review below), I was after, so all issues have been resolved.

Original review follows;

I saw in a local Wollongong paper mention of the Mercure Gerringong resort and realised Accor must be managing the boutique resort formerly known as Bellachara. Rang them to see if they accept Advantage Plus for meal discounts, put through to restaurant and advised yes for meals with discounts. Girl also advised she would email my work email with menu as could not fax. Email never came unfortunately.
Took my elderly parents for drive to Berry the following Saturday with idea to come back to Gerringong Mercure for surprise lunch. Rang the hotel from Berry to ensure they were open for lunch as access road flooded from Princes Highway end due to heavy rain. Assured they were open but only serving high tea. Got to Mercure and got my parents inside which is not easy as Dad has mobility issues and needs walking stick plus someone's arm.
Got inside, not many people there, one medium sized group of maybe 8 ladies and two other tables taken. Asked if we had booked for high tea. No we hadn't as no one mentioned we had to. This was a problem but advised they would see what they could do. Then brought out my Ad Plus card and told no go for high tea. Wish I had been advised to book when I rang earlier that day with my lunch enquiry and wish girl at restaurant had advised no Ad Plus discounts for Saturday high teas or sent me that menu which may have mentioned it earlier in the week. No net access from my govt dept pc so couldn't check online although later looked at home and couldn't find website apart from limited Accor info at Accor website. I realise if I dig deep enough there may be info re dining including high tea but felt with 2 phone calls I may have been alright to assume they took Ad Plus and I didn't need to book for Saturday.
Young man passed on problems to Anita who was very kind and helpful and advised not planned for extra 3 people and offered concession on my meal to same price as Mum and Dad's seniors cost and would put together what they could. I appreciated the help as didn't want to get Mum and Dad back out to car and drive back to Gerringong for lunch as they are 87 and 82 and were tired.
I was nothing but gracious as I always am and tipped for help from Anita but would have appreciated a little better information in my 2 phone calls and non existant email for a smoother lunch date with my parents.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Michael E, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Dear TravelBug_Mike

Thank you for your comments.

As mentioned to you, our management team discussed your experience, and acted on what we thought were appropriate measures and offerings in our Restaurant for our guests and loyalty club members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Resort Gerringong.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

It was a mistake to stay here. $325 a night is a significant expense for an overrated motel. Perhaps once glorious, Mercure have grabbed control and sadly this has become a famly resort. I guess this is what Mercure is good at. Expect no money to be spent, as this is likely to be run down to the level other Mercure proerties are....tired!

Kids had taken over every dining experience making us decide to dine elsewhere, plus quite frankly a better meal and experience.

The venue is very noisy and we were woken several times by drunken revellers. Mentioning this to staff achieved nothing but a blank expression.

For $325/night I expected considerably better

I would not recommend this if you were a couple looking a special getaway.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Michael E, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Dear Jhn718
Thank you for your review following a recent stay at Mercure Resort Gerringong.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet expectations on this occasion. Our mandate under Accor Hotels, and indeed within the Mercure brand is to provide good facilities to all of our customers and guests, whether they are families or couples.

The owners of this property, although having owned this hotel since 2006, have only recently regained operational control, and have appointed Accor Hotels as managers. A capital expenditure plan for improvements to the property (signage, landscaping, walkways, restaurant etc) is underway, but you will appreciate that this all takes time to implement.

I am sorry that you had a restless night, but please note that we have staff on hand who can take action of noise complaints

Again, thank you for your review. I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure Resort Gerringong.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We were lucky enough to be recommended to Mercure Resort Gerringong by friends who stay on a regular basis for business. I have passed through Gerringong on many occasions and stayed in Kiama but this gorgeous boutique hotel is a real treat. The grounds and gardens are beautifully maintained on the drive in and the reception area is full of 'old world charm'. (I want those wing backed chairs!!!). The staff were amazing - I have travelled extensively and not come across such friendly staff from the receptionist to the restaurant that cannot do enough for you to the housekeeper you pass in the corridor. Our rooms were 5 star. Beautiful decor, lovely tranquil outlook, amazing big tub for 2. You could really escape here! We asked about families (thinking of bringing the kids) and were surprised to know that the rooms can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children using a sofa bed. The family pool was gorgeous and we were lucky enough to have warm weather. We spent hours lounging by the pool before heading off to the dayspa - wow - again I've visited many dayspa's but the one at Mercure is of a really high standard. Beautifully decorated - you feel a bit like royalty after all the pampering. We enjoyed lovely sandwiches and a glass of champagne overlooking the mountains after our treatments. Dinner in the lovely restaurant was great. The staff were welcoming and had reserved a lovely private table for us being our anniversary (nice to know that the little things are picked up in conversation when making the booking). The food was out of this world - only negative - too many choices on the menu!! We loved our stay at Mercure Resort and whilst we understand it has only just been taken over by new owners and management we could not fault the service. We will definitely be recommending your hotel and will be back with the family for future holidays (and the occasional trip on our own when we can get it!!).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Michael E, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear FranC
I was delighted to read your comments regarding a recent stay at Mercure Resort Gerringong, and thank you for taking the time to post details regarding all aspects of your experience.

I have copied these comments and forwarded to all departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Resort Gerringong.

MIchael Eggers
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Having just returned from an overnight stay I could not believe earlier negative reviews. We found everything to be a very high standard, the room was immaculate, the staff both in the restaurant and reception were very friendly and efficient and the food was delicious. There was a Thursday night special of two courses for $49.95 making it very good value. The setting both inside and out is delightful although we could not take advantage of the pools because of the weather.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Michael E, General Manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear LizK
Thank you for your review of a recent stay at Mercure Resort Gerringong. I am glad your experience was a pleasant one.
I will forward your comments onto both our Restaurant & Reception Staff.
Thank you again, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon (Hopefully with sunnier weather, so you can enjoy the pools).
Kind regards
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

In the months leading up to my wedding (which we had booked to be held at this hotel), we had attended the premises on a number of occasions, eating in the restaurant and staying over night. The hotel grounds are always kept neat and tidy, and staff are alway accomodating and more than helpful. The rooms are stunning, very large and spacious. Decor of rooms is stunning - only hope that it is not changed under the new management. The restaurant has a gorgeous atmosphere, and the food is absolutely divine. I highly recommend High Teas on Saturdays. We have turned our wedding into a weekend getaway, where all of our guests will be staying for the three days because the hotel is so fantastic. Not to mention that the location of the hotel is situated in one of the most gorgeous and quaint south coast towns. I cant beleive reading the reviews below that others have had negative experiences, because this has not been the case over the last eighteen months that I have been visiting the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mercure Gerringong Resort? Share your experiences!