“Nice room but definitely wouldn't return” 3 of 5 stars

You added Dolphins to your Saves list
Dolphins
32 Bangalow Road, Byron Bay, New South Wales 2481, Australia   |
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Byron Bay
“Nice room but definitely wouldn't return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I left this place with mixed feelings. The room was pretty good, typical of a motel room really. It had everything you would ask for. However there were two problem which I had which would stop me from returning.

1. This was largely my fault but the way it was managed left a lot to be desired. We booked this motel to break the journey from Sydney to Brisbane. What I didn't realise was that this hotel had a 7pm cut off for check-ins. Ie. you've to arrive before 7pm. So without realising this we arrived after 8pm. To their credit the receptionist had stayed on as she knew we had booked on booking.com that morning. So if it wasn't for that we would have arrived with no way of checking in. But her attitude left me feeling very unwelcome, having spent a large portion of the day in the car to arrive to a frosty welcome was the last thing I wanted. She advised that it stated clearly in my booking.com confirmation and on checking afterwards it did, but after spending 3 months travelling this was the only place we came across where checkin times were limited. Again it was my fault for not checking the confirmation, but with the way I was welcomed, if i hadn't prepaid, i would have lefy and checked in somewhere else.

2. A visit to the bathroom in the middle of the night included a welcome reception from a large cockroach. Not a nice surprise in the middle of the night. Although friendlier than the welcome at reception!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've stayed in Byron Bay many times and I stayed at this place over the busy public holiday week-end. It's about 10 minutes' walk away from the sometimes noisy downtown Byron Bay area. Very clean, quiet, spacious room and bathroom (we stayed in the twin share) - good, powerful hairdryer. All the decor was in excellent condition. Both beds were very comfortable. Handy kitchenette included all we needed to fix our own continental breakfast, tea and toast - kitchenette had dishwashing liquid, dishwashing cloth and towel. Nice, basic, outdoor picnic area. TV worked fine. The owners were very helpful too.

Given how popular Byron Bay is, particularly over public holidays, I think this motel offers excellent value for money. For people seeking cheaper accommodation, I'd say stay at one of the backpackers/hostels where you share bathroom and kitchen with zillions of others. I look forward to staying at Dolphins again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

It wasn't a bad stay. We're used to the more luxurious type of accommodation, but on this occasion we needed a lower cost room, considering we weren't planning to be there to relax. The only time we were in the room was winding down from our day to hit the hay.

The room was spacious and the TV worked well. The air-conditioner seemed to be on the fritz, though. The bathroom was clean, but the drainage was not very good in the sink. The bed was comfortable enough, but I noticed that the alarm clock had dust gathered on it, as did the bed headboard.

I liked that they provided plates, bowls, utensils and even a cooker and microwave. They even provided dishwashing liquid and a drying rack. However, considering this, I thought it quite odd that they didn't offer anything to clean the dishes with... like a brush or dishwashing cloth. Odd.

Anyway, our experience was a good one, for the most part.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

A cheapo motel that charged us $150 for one night. The location is on a main road and not within an easy walking distance of the town. The room had one uncomfortable bed and a noisy, barely working air-conditioner. Traffic noise is terrible in any of the rooms near the main road (we were in 3). No bath, dirty motel bathroom looking on to the neighbouring water/septic tank. Rude front counter receptionist basically stiffed us - refused to cancel our awful room after we had seen it - we had pre-booked at $150 (it was vile!) because we hadn't given 48 hours notice. DO NOT PRE - BOOK! Beware. This place is an awful, rundown motel that tricks Byron visitors into paying top rates. It is not near town so for the price you could stay somewhere nice outside of town and just drive in. As I was about to post this review my partner just killed a cockroach near the tv. Need I say more?

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our first trip to Byron Bay and I would certainly stay here again. If you want comfort, value for money and a good location, this is the place to be. Whilst it is a 10-15 minute walk to the "main strip", Dolphins is conveniently located for a reasonable price.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We found this motel well-located for the price - it is a kilometre or so from the centre of town but an easy flat walk. The room was spacious and clean, with a larger (half-size) fridge than most motels and a microwave. Bathroom was also quite roomy. Only complaint was that the queensize bed was a little too soft for our liking, but overall a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great value for money. I was pleasantly surprised with the size of my room. It was spotlessly clean, and had a little kitchette which was very handy. The owner was charming, welcoming and helpful. I think that this would be great accomodation for elderly or disabled guests, as well as couples or small families.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dolphins? Share your experiences!