“Echoes of a past era” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria's at Wategos

Save Saved
You added Victoria's at Wategos to your Saves list
Victoria's at Wategos
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Marine Parade | Wategos Beach, Byron Bay, New South Wales NSW 2481, Australia   |
Ranked #20 of 30 hotels in Byron Bay
Mapleton, Australia
“Echoes of a past era”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This property does have a charm about it! The furnishing are of an era past but some items are in need of refurbishment.
The room itself was cosy with a wonderful updated bathroom with all amenties. The room was spotlessly clean! At the hefty pice tag though, I expected a more roomy bedroom.
The pools were fabulous and I pretty much had the pool near my room to myself. The shared areas were well appointed. The only thing missing was an airco in the stairwell.
Lovely location with the delectable Rae's close by. However if you want something less indulgent, you have to drive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ByronBayHospitality, Owner at Victoria's at Wategos, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at Victoria’s At Wategos, your feedback is much appreciated.
We are constantly refurbishing and updating our properties, to maintain the standard and quality our guests expect, but it is a work in progress.
We do hope to see you again, sometime soon.

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Last minute booking escaping the floods at Lismore and the continuously changing plans of thwarted relatives, on this a weekend out of Sydney.

Booking over the telephone easily achieved we arrived mid afternoon, me a little worse for wear.

Victoria's is very conveniently located about 30 meters from Rae's and the beach.
Greeted and in our rooms in minutes, despite the heavily over cast sky a walk and swim was required.

Somewhat relax on the coastal walk over to the Pass (check a map) & absorbed into the locational vista but hot it was very humid (yes another storm must come....apparently it was worse in Sydney....) Stripped out of my sweaty clothes and into the ocean at Wategeos a vast improvement.

Walking back, the verandah at Rae's, though clearly worse for storm damage, looked perfect for dinner, Fish.

Into Victoria's embrace, I was swimming and seriously refreshed soon after - almost human I ventured back to my darling wife in our rooms. There was a couple seemingly enjoying themselves extraordinarily (unless she was being murdered if the later she was laughing as she expired).

The villas are opulent, there is great attention to detail through out. Victoria manages to retain style and maintain casual elegance. The grounds are lovely, lizards, bustards and a myriade of beautiful birds many calling at different times.It is private,lots of light and fresh air, fans and or air con if desired though and there are comfortable common areas and some excellent pieces scattered about. I especially enjoyed the pool, deep(6feet) long(15m)clean and cool - I believe there is another heated but I was well happy here.

Too brief, we were gone( not without another swim though) by 7am to the airport no flooded roads please and hopefully a plane, an opportunity to land (without storm delays) and a home to find undecimated.

Victoria's is good value, and we will no doubt return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The location is perfect and the property is stunning. The facilities are clean and my room was lovely. My concern here is less to do with the property or actual accommodations and is more to do with my expectation of the type of service I will receive when paying 5 star prices. This was my first time to Byron Bay so was looking for some guidance on things to do and places to go. I suppose I was really needy as far as guests go, I was just surprised at how hands off the service was. I arrived early in the morning and planned to just drop off my bags and hit the beach until it was time to check in. Nobody was onsite when I got there (ghost town). Samantha was wonderful and offered to come over in 20 minutes to get me checked in and show me around. It was the last I would see of any human being at this property for the rest of my stay - until it was time to check out. In hindsight, I should have stayed at a larger hotel - somewhere with a staff that was available and more full service. I called the "front desk" to ask for restaurant recommendations (first time in Byron Bay and traveling solo) and was referred to a binder of old menus in the front room (I tend to like recommendations from real people). I asked for a cab and was told to call for one myself. I think this would be a great spot if you were familiar with the area and didn't want any help or assistance with anything during your stay. I think maybe I'm old school and just wanted a concierge or front desk manager who was accessible, available and helpful. Again, Samantha was sweet to let me check in early and she held my bags for me once I checked out (10AM check out time)... I just expected more for the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ByronBayHospitality, Owner/Manager at Victoria's at Wategos, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
I’m sorry to hear that this reviewer’s expectations were not met, as we do try very hard to provide friendly service and helpful assistance to all of our guests.
Our “Victoria’s – Byron Bay” properties, are small, boutique guesthouses, therefore, we do not have a “front desk” as such, however, we are always available 24 hours a day, either in person or via the intercom, internal & external telephone systems, to assist our guests with any requests or queries that they have, even if it is not face to face.
This guest booked an online special through a third party, and as it was a quieter few days, they were paying the discounted gross rate of $299.00 per night.
We were provided with an international mobile phone number, so we contacted the guest the day prior to arrival via a text message, to confirm the reservation and to ask for their arrival time, but we did not hear back. Our check in time is 2.30pm. The guest arrived unannounced at the property at 9.50am. I personally spoke to the guest through the intercom at the front door, as I was working at our other guest house, Victoria’s At Ewingsdale. I advised the guest that as she was early, I could have someone there within 20 minutes to check her in. At 10.15am, one of my staff members arrived to check the guest in. The guest requested a kayak excursion be booked, which was done immediately.
When we were asked for a recommendation for lunch, the Pass Cafe was suggested, which the guest enjoyed. In the evening, the guest called (by dialling ‘9’ from the room phone) to ask how far away the Figtree restaurant was, and I advised, that it was 10 kms away, but closed that night, so I suggested that they try Rae’s, which is only across the road from us. I was asked where else l could recommend, and I suggested the Beach Cafe which is a short walk over the hill. I was then asked where else I would recommend, and I then suggested to have a look at our dining guide, (which was shown at check in) where I have written a brief description and provided sample menus from restaurants and cafes around town, that I personally recommend. Later, I was again contacted, and asked about internet access and how to contact the taxi service, in which I replied with the details on where the taxi phone number was, and to dial ‘0’ for a line out. If I had been asked to book a taxi, I would certainly have done this, just as we did at another time, later during the stay. As for this guest not seeing another “human being” during the two night stay, it just shows how quiet, private and tranquil the property is. We had other guests staying in-house and staff members discreetly servicing guest rooms, preparing food in the kitchen, mowing lawns, gardening & I was at the property also. As we are a hands on family run business, we are all working behind the scenes, to keep the properties stunning, and the facilities and rooms clean and lovely, as mentioned, but just as important, we are also accessible and available to help our guests, whenever we possibly can.
I agree with this review, that perhaps this guest was, quote, “really needy”.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

OK, it's a beautifully appointed small hotel in a great location right opposite the beach. We had a lovely room at the rear on the ground floor which didn't matter as I'm not convinced that any rooms really enjoy a sea view. The common areas and bedrooms are very comfortable and well-appointed, the breakfast is truly superb, but ...but ... what? Can't put my finger on it .... if pushed I would say that we only met the proprietor on our arrival and she was pleasant and very helpful, but I couldn't help but feel that she cared more about her hotel than the guests in it! Not sure what it cost as we did an all-in tour, but I guess it's quite expensive. So, I would recommend it, but ....?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ByronBayHospitality, Owner/Manager at Victoria's at Wategos, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at Victoria's At Wategos. I'm a little confused by this review, as it does not pin point what the actual issue was, therefore it is difficult to improve or make any changes to our facilitlies or services. I do care very much about each and every person that visits my guesthouses, which is why I am involved in all aspects of the business. Along with my professional staff, we strive to provide great service and hospitality, in beautiful surrounds, so that our guests leave with fond memories of their stay at Victoria's and Byron Bay.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We paid $750 for a superior spa room and it definitely was not worth the money.

Although the room and bed were lovely, the bathroom was a complete letdown. It had a nice spa, however the shower was awful. A small, cheap looking shower head in a small shower surrounded with gossamer curtains that kept sticking to your legs as you showered and let the water go all over the bathroom. Terrible shower, and not what you expect for $750 per night!

Also, the room was located on the lower floor right next to the kitchen and lounge. The noise was terrible as you could hear the breakfast service clatter, phone calls, people using the toilet right outside and conversations as people came and went. Definitely lacked privacy (for them and for us) and the noise was a major issue, and I would not book this room again under any circumstances.

Otherwise, the service is nice and the location a short walk to Wategos Beach. Disappointing however for the price, and I left wishing we'd booked a hotel for something much better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ByronBayHospitality, Owner/Manager at Victoria's at Wategos, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Victoria's.
Firstly, I would like to clarify that this guest stayed for two nights, and the rate was $350.00 for one night and $399.00 for the other night, and not $750.00 per night as stated. The superior spa room that this guest stayed in, offers easy access for wheel chairs & disabled guests. For this reason, the marble ensuite has a 1200 x 900 mm shower, which is open and does not have a shower door. The room has been sound proofed in accordance with the building code of Australia's requirements, so noise should not have been an issue, and if it was brought to our attention at the time, we may have been able to address it. We can only apologise for the inconvenience caused. We do hope you return to Victoria's sometime in the future, to enjoy a postive experience like so many others do.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

My husband and I work very hard and have not yet gone on our honeymoon. With our one year anniversary fast approaching, we knew we wanted to pull out all the stops yet be somewhere close to home. What a great choice with Victoria's at Wategos!

The drive through Byron Bay to get to the gorgeous guest house leads you through a winding road with sudden bursts of dramatic ocean views, then the guest house is suddenly in front of you - warm, softly lit, manicured garden surrounds and a beautiful feel all around.

Victoria is wonderful - she has a quiet elegance with a "i've found the key to enjoying a blissful life" feel about her. We were given a quick tour and then left to relax and enjoy - we were also upgraded to the executive spa room, which was amazing!

The colours, the soft music, the fragrant soaps and the gorgeous balcony opened with dramatic french doors is everything we could have wished for. We felt immediately comfortable, special and so relaxed.

Victoria's at Wategos is at a prime location, we spent some time up at the lighthouse, hubby with his photography skills and me chatting with locals and other drifters... what a lovely 3 days.

Oh and your chef - superb. Such yummy cakes and slices, recipes please!!

Don't miss Gosea kayaking with the dolphins and sea turtles ... just down the road from the guest house.

Everything is so close, at Victoria's you feel so connected with Byron Bay yet at the same time feel like you have your own private castle.

Thank you, thank you and thank you. We will most definitely return!

Sangeeta & Ashwin.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
northamptonshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Superb accommodation in wonderful grounds a with views of byron bay from the lawn.
Liked the look of this place from the Australian bed&breakfast book but thought it to be a bit expensive so reviewed it again through what if .com when we were in Australia got a better price with a stand by deal . Had a excellent garden room with veranda.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ByronBayHospitality, Owner at Victoria's at Wategos, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful feedback, it is much appreciated.
By the description of the room this reviewer stayed in, the gardens & the outlook, it sounds like this guest may have stayed at our sister property, "Victoria's At Ewingsdale", our exclusive country retreat on the outskirts of town.
We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our properties again soon.

Been to Victoria's at Wategos? Share your experiences!