“Beautiful hotel by the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rae's on Watego's

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Byron Bay
Rae's on Watego's
You added Rae's on Watego's to your Saves list
8 Marine Parade | Wategos Beach, Byron Bay, New South Wales 2481, Australia   |
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Byron Bay
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel by the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

This hotel is on Wategos beach which is about a 5 minute drive from Byron. The view from the hotel overlooks the beach and is fantastic. The location is slightly out of Byron and so would require a taxi if you have dinner in Byron (we paid $13).

We booked last minute and stayed in the Garden Suite and paid $250 (originally quoted at $600!). The suite was lovely. It has the feel of a Moroccan Riad. There was a large bedroom area, inside seating area, large bath, separate bathroom with shower and then large outdoor area that had a cushioned seating area. The suite opened directly onto the pool. From the Garden Suite, there is no view of the ocean, but that is fairly obvious from the name. We feel $250 per night was a good deal but it isnt worth $600. We're not sure if this changes with high/low season. The pool was lovely but as it was in an enclosed area and under a tree, it was full of branches and leaves. It wasn't suitable for swimming and we feel this is something that should have been cleaned on a daily basis.

The staff were lovely. We had our breakfast in the restaurant which overlooks the ocean - amazing. We stayed with the continental (included in the price) and is was great. Fruits, coffee, croissants, muffins. There was a wide selection of choice on the breakfast at an extra cost (approx $20-$30 per meal). The dinner menu looked amazing but we opted to have dinner in Byron instead.

This hotel is great! A quiet retreat with good service. This hotel offers something different and there is a feel of exclusivity. We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We had our wedding here in Jan and booked out the hotel for the weekend. The hotel was stunning and the staff were exceptional in all areas. Each room is very unique but equally impressive, hospitality was first class, food was to die for and the team at Rae's couldn't have been more accommodating. Marionne, Andrea, Steve, Brendon, Vincent... you helped to make our wedding absolutely perfect! We had a great weekend! Thanks.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
BYRON BAY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Why is it that my review from this year has been removed from Trip advisor and ones that are years old are still there especially after ending up staying there for a month and we've never done that in any other hotel before. We were just a little disappointed that the review was removed.

So I wish to reiterate that Rae's is a unique experience where we enjoyed luxury with an artistic and fun edge to it creating an interesting, unforgettable delight of pure indulgence on every level.

We loved the staff, the heavenly food, the decor, the enchanted pool and the most beautiful beach across the road. It is a living dream. It is now our favorite place ever.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Rae's is accommodation with personality.
If your idea of luxe is a Hilton hotel with boring (aka perfect) clean lines where an 'appeal to the masses' approach was the goal, then this is not your hotel. But, if you're after a unique retreat where you'll experience something that you're unlikely to experience anywhere else in this country where stale, rubbery and pale hospitality experiences are the norm, then book Rae's.
I felt like I was in Europe. You know, where the accommodations are sometimes small and qwerky, where you expect that 'romantic' old-world creak of the floor boards when you stand out of bed every morning. The wobbly unpolished antique vanity taps.
While there were no creaking floor boards or wobbly taps at Rae's the feeling was just as familiar.
Here, you feel comfortable putting your feet on the furniture. Like as if the energy you'd use to reach for a coaster would be better used reaching for a magazine you'll inevitably dribble coffee onto while reading it. Just like it happens at home. It's used. It's wabi-sabi, but it works.
I stayed in Suite 6. Apparently Elle McPherson's favourite room when she occasionally stays. A large rambling room with Balinese and Moroccan styled furnishings. (Yes, coffee cup ring marks in tact. It's homely!) With beautiful creaking louvers that open onto a lovely terrace with glimpses of the stunning beach only metres away. But the soundtrack is in stereo! Ground floor. Right next to the front desk. So close that open the door at an inopportune moment and you'd clap the butt of your fellow guest checking-in. But remember this is a converted beach villa built circa 1960's, not purpose built. It's part of Rae's charm.
There are no common areas at Rae's except for the restaurant and pool area. So it's a real secluded affair. Perfect for spending time alone or with that someone you'd rather not leave alone.
The staff are friendly, in the real sense. These guys will actually talk with you about things more interesting than the weather. They're attentive, and a good looking bunch too.
Rae's is a unique place. The guests. The staff. The Food. The hotel itself! Uniqueness, it's a good thing!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I'm an Aussie expat living in the US with my partner and our 18mo. old baby girl. We recently visited Byron Bay, one of my and now my wife & child's, favourite places in the world! Naturally enough the only place to stay on the eastern seaboard is 'Rae's on Wategos'. Even though it wasn't summer, our stay in Byron and with Vincent Rae was delightful. It's good to see him back in the kitchen and on the reigns working on some fine Italian dishes after a recent jaunt in Europe. Totally fine dining. Vincent's menu reflects his worldly appreciation of food and wine. We loved it all. The decor and overall 'vibe' of the hotel makes the heart sing. To roll out of bed and flop into a quick dip in the ocean and a refreshing walk along the beach is nothing short of magical. The level of attention and care shown by the staff, makes you feel like royalty. Vincent and his team provided my family with a lifetime of happy memories. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Recently, I was fortunate enough to experience this divine luxurious hotel located on one of the east coasts most beautiful beaches.
My boyfriend and I travelled from Brisbane, a one and a half hour drive away to join his business partner and wife from Sydney for a delightful 'catch up' couple of days...
Whilst the gentlemen carried out 'very important' business over a sumptuous and delicious lunch in the restaurant overlooking Watego's beach, I indulged myself in Rae's Spa with a Steam followed by a Stones of Morocco (hot rock) massage (wonderful for this time of year) and finished with one of the best facials I have experienced, a huge Thank you to Marion... I'm still glowing...And so relaxed!
We dined at Rae's warm and inviting restaurant in the evenings, where the staff were attentive and generally fabulous... as was the food and the wine... Kingfish capacio my favourite dish and a must!
I really cannot fault the hotel even on a rainy day. The open fireplaces in our rooms, lit for us before dinner ended kept the cold at bay in the evenings...
I cannot wait to return... I'm missing the walk from the hotel to the glistening beach... listening to the waves on the shore as I sleep... tres romantic!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
gold coast/ ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

i had such a amazing time at raes my partner took me for my birthday middle june and it was just fantasic the staff where fantastic and the views where beautiful a perfect setting for a romantic getaway we watched the sun set we watch the dolphins right at the shore line. the rooms and service where just perfect a visit to raes is a must my favorite destination since coming to australia from Ireland its just like been in a movie the staff made me feel like a celeb. we stayed at the crowne plaza in sydney recently and it was so basic. my personal opinion is nothing can compare to Raes it a must see.... Thank you to all the staff you made my birthday so special .

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rae's on Watego's? Share your experiences!