“Amazing Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rae's on Watego's

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Byron Bay
Rae's on Watego's
You added Rae's on Watego's to your Saves list
8 Marine Parade | Wategos Beach, Byron Bay, New South Wales 2481, Australia   |
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Byron Bay
“Amazing Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I came to Rae's with my partner for dinner our host Ashleigh, was amazing she was very understanding to my dietary requirements (no seafood) and made sure I still got great food.
When ever I come to Byron I know where to go now. Five star food five star service and all at a reasonable price.
I had a beet root salad which was just absolutely mouth watering and a cardamom brûlée which was just perfect, I've been to a lot of amazing restaurants around Sydney but none of their brûlées even came close to comparing with this!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We were at Rae's recently for my daughter's special birthday celebration. Being a visitor from Sydney I relied on her recommendation as a local of Byron Bay for special place befitting the occasion. was more than pleasantly surprised, and moreso we were totally blown away by the impeccable 5 star service we received from our host , Dan. Everything from our start up cocktails, to Dan's extensive knowledge and recommendations from Rae's fine menu and complimenting wines, against the backdrop of the beautiful sight and sounds of the awesome Wattego's Beach, made this one very memorable evening indeed! I have dined in many fine places all over the world and I am proud and amazed to find one of the worlds finest dining experience and most charming hosts right here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Fell in love with this place instantly. Amazed I'd never ventured there before. Cocktails were delicious, service was authentic, friendly and detailed. For a small crew you could tell they loved the place and took great pride in everything. The banquet was exquisite and perfectly timed between drinks. Would live at Raes if I could. A perfect escape from the hustle of the bay.

• Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I am a big fan of small over large, boutique over big so when I can, I try and stay at smaller more personal hotels. Now Rae's is an institution. It's been 'the' place to stay in Byron forever and it is like staying in someones rambling beach house complete with private pool and big baths.It's not cheap.

The vibe is cool and understated. The location can't be beat and if you are a long board surfer padding down 20 metres to the beach every morning to a perfect wave is just incredible. The restaurant is high quality and I had the best curry I have ever had outside India here.

Now for the bad news: Raes is getting a wee bit shabby. Our suite was nice, but the door didnt shut, the bar fridge only worked intermittently and we noticed the bath wasnt completely clean.Service was inattentive. There was hardly anyone staying there so we kind of got the feeling that the 'A' team werent on and that they werent really trying.And that is a shame.

My husband and I had a massage at the lovely spa which was not the worst nor the best massage I have ever had.

Dinner was included in our package and the food was awesome as was the smiling service. Unfortunately, couldn't say the same for breakfast. We walked in to an empty restaurant except for another couple (tables still piled up from the night before blocking the views and a ladder up with some work going on). Our greeting from the woman (wait help?) holding a mop was "Are you the other room here for breakfast?" We answered yes and were popped into a side booth (no view). We were then simply bought out the breakfast, not asked what we wanted, coffee just popped on the table (would have been nice to have a proper barista coffee or what about tea?). Then we saw absolutely no one after that.

We heard the staff talking about the fact that Rae's is on the market. Mmmm- I look forward to seeing what the new owners do.

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Wategos has been a favourite beach for many years - magic position, crystal clear warm water. Raes was a place my husband and I always wanted to try. From the outside it looked like just the sort of small, boutique hotel that we love. Reading tripadvisor reviews though, we were wary. Not all were positive.
Despite this, we booked a weekend and were not disappointed. We stayed in the Moroccan Suite - roomy, fabulous furniture, beach views. Service was sunny and attentive. The massage in the spa was excellent and the food at Fish Cafe delicious. For us, everything about this place was faultless. I'm glad we trusted our instincts.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

There is something special about staying in a small yet luxurious boutique hotel with a front lawn that flows directly onto the beach. If you want to hide Rae’s is the place to go. If you want quality and style Rae’s would be one of the best hotels in Australia to experience a private getaway and yet you give up nothing in the way of luxury, space and style. When you are close to Byron Bay, please don’t miss this hotel.
A big thanks to Lizzie. She delivers your breakfast every morning her smiling face and easy nature. A nice way to start the day in this beautiful place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Stunning hotel & the food divine. . The manager Marion was lovely. Perfect location right on the beach. We stayed in the Penthouse, so much space & eclectic furnishings from all around the world. Beautiful fresh breakfasts on the verandah every morning & the restaurant was to die for.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Rae's on Watego's? Share your experiences!