“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge

You added The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge to your Saves list
The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Skinners Shoot Rd | Arts Factory Village, Byron Bay, New South Wales 2481, Australia   |
Sydney, Australia
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here in a camper van and used everything there. Kitchen clean, bathroom clean, showers abit rubbish. $6 meal were vile but what to expect for that price. Great location. Friendly staff. Would stay a

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ArtsFactoryByronBay, Manager at The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Les, thanks for your great comments. I will tell the cafe that their meals are vile, and see if they lift their game! Happy travels! From the Arts Factory crew

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had booked my room for 7 days and paid half, with an agreement that I will pay for the other half later on. Due to some confusion with the dates, I was in Nimbin when the next instalment on my rent was due at 11am. I explained over the phone that I was in Nimbin and would return at 6pm to pay the rest of the rent...I was on a Nimbin tour so couldnt exactly hurry back!
I returned to find that the reception staff had put all of my possessions in the black bag and dumped it in reception like a piece of trash. I was absolutely disgusted. When I tried to confront the young receptionist, she hid like a stupid child and wouldnt answer my questions. Then I was able to speak to her "Manager" who was equally as rude. She explained that the hostel was "full" but that was rubbish as I had been staying in a half-full dormitory for the last few days plus I had already spoken to them on the phone about being stuck in Nimbin. There was no apology for doing that to my things. I am not a high maintenance person or someone that gets bothered easily but this treatment really upset me and I was LIVID.
I came to Arts Factory as a teenager in 2003, it was a great place - hedonistic, beautiful and hippy. After all these years, I dont know whats happened. This place has changed beyond recognition - Gone is the hedonism and replaced with rude staff, drunk, loud idiots and pure over commercialisation, I guess thats Byron Bay in general though. The Hippy days are over here, wish Id never come back!

Room Tip: Avoid the tents and wigwams - you will sweat like hell and have the worst sleep ever
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at the Arts Factory.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Byron bay - Arts factory
Date of stay: 22/04/2013 - 01/04/2013
Dorm: 6 bed mixed / $25 per night
Deposit: Passport or $20
Overall: 8/10

Arts factory was one of my favourite hostels to stay in, but I don't think it is for everyone. They have a very relaxed atmosphere which isn't for everyone. The hostel is based on 5 acres of land with a lake in the middle & surrounded by trees.

The hostel is very relaxed & is mainly younger people. They have great entertainment & a lot of people will stay in the common area is really nice . As a solo traveller I found it very easy to meet people.

The rooms were nice & relatively clean. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm & also a 10 bed wagon (big tent). The kitchen area was okay but not the best. You can also camp for $16/ night & people are always selling tents. The room I stayed in had wooden lockers but only 2 of the lockers in the room worked. There are also bigger lockers at reception that you need to pay for.

It's a 10 minute walk to the beach. They also have a shuttle that takes you to the town centre.

The hostel also sells food which was reasonably priced & good food. They also have really nice coffee !

If you want to relax & meet people than this is a good place to go.

Room Tip: If you want to save money camp, otherwise get a dorm
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tom, tahnsk for your review, it sounds like you had a pppositive experience, and this is a good thing. Fair call on the lockers, we will have to look at replacing them! Happy travels, best wishes from the Arts Factory team
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have rented a Jucy camper van and stayed here with a special offer. We slept in the van on the car park like many others had done. The toilets and showers are very clean and the kitchen is surprisingly clean for the amount of people using it. What we did find was toy had to be in your 20's to stay there (fine since I'm 22) but if you don't drink to excess or smoke various substances you will become annoyed. That isn't the hostels fault that's the people staying there. I managed to poke my head around the door to one of the rooms and found they were only small and very basic. There are no plugs in the rooms so everyone congregates in the public area to charge phones and laptops, getting a plug is hard to come by so power up before you go if you can. I walked around the camping area and it looked like a festival, very cramped but they had cooking facilities which were also nice and the tents by the river looked like a mess i wouldn't stay in one even if you paid me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dave,

Thanks for your review, overall it is pretty good. The camp ground is a scary plpace, and not for everyone. Glad to hear the kitchen and bathrooms were up to scratch! Best wishes from the Arts Factory crew!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were older travellers and owing to the high cost in Australia stayed mostly in Hostels. We were at this venue over Xmas (what a mistake). We were charged(already most expensive hostel) in GBP rather than AUD. Our room was a cell. Music was played on Xmas afternoon at extremely high volume, we were scorned when we asked for it to be lowered. Pool allowed glasses and bottles, also other guest jumped from 1st floor accom into pool. No H&S, someone likely to be badly injured here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maldon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I'm just being honest. If I'd wanted to camp, I'd have taken a tent and gone solo into the outback. I didn't though, and booking into this place turned out not to be a good idea. I love wildlife but I don't think the wildlife appreciated the screaming, midnight parties that went on every night. The place was dirty (and I mean 'unhygenic' dirty) and some of the staff were indifferent. I'd booked in 2 nights but only stayed for 1. 'Nuff said.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Banff, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night despite the fact that I had paid for two. Could not stand any longer in the dirty (disgusting) hole of a place. Got bit by bugs all night, the toilets and kitchen were like something from a horror film.

The people were not very friendly and the staff rude (they all look very peace and love but they are actually more fake and trying to portray a certain image image...maybe they think they are too cool)

Overall just makes you feel dirty.

I am not easily turned so negative but this place certainly did it!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont Go!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!