“A reply to DK9000's cranky review!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harvest Cafe

Harvest Cafe
18 -22 Old Pacific Highway | Newrybar Village, Byron Bay, New South Wales NSW 2479, Australia
+61 2 6687 2644
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 139 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Awarded 1 Chefs Hat 2015 Good Food Guide The Harvest Ethos is Fresh Local Seasonal and Sustainable.We focus on using an abundance of fresh local produce - showcasing the best of what our region has to offer. A majority of our herbs and vegetables are grown on our very own organic farm and on site kitchen garden. A Devine carefully crafted seasonal wine and cocktail list enables our beautiful staff take you on a true dining journey. Located in Newrybar - we are 10 minutes from Byron Bay but in a world all of our own. Time seems to stand still in the hills, come and see for yourself. We also feature A Cellar & Private dining room, Artisan Bakery and Deli. Harvest is also available for Catering and Private events. Welcome to the Festival of Food in the Byron Bay Hinterland.
Brisbane
“A reply to DK9000's cranky review!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2014 NEW

Dear DK9000,
I was one of the 'select crowd' you are talking about.
I seldom write reviews, but I feel compelled to, after our experience of you and the nastiness and aggression you showed the staff at Harvest.
You and your partner were seated at the bar on the veranda outside the cafe itself. Right opposite the window where the coffees are made. We came and sat beside you; my neighbour, her dog and I.

You were disgruntled when my friend and I turned up. It showed. It's a busy time of the year, Christmas, and you're right - we did see a lot of friends as we walked in. Neighbours, farmers, the local mechanic - it's that kind of a place. We also know the staff well. We come here often, and the staff have become our friends. They are good people. They care about their work. They care about their customers. That's why so many locals make it their 'local'. That's why we hugged people and wished them Merry Christmas. Not because we're the 'beautiful people'. Far from it. We were in our farm clothes - daggy, hot and sweaty. That's why we sat out on the veranda at the entrance. So that people who were at Harvest for the dining experience could enjoy the space and service inside the cafe. As you could have.

So you got your pastries, but your coffees didn't come. You'd obviously been there for a while. Why didn't you pop your head through the window and inquire about your order, or have one of the staff chase it up? It was obvious they were getting slammed. It's Christmas, and the place is popular. Sometimes mistakes happen. I think all of us at some stage have had the experience of an order being forgotten or wrong.

Yes, the staff know our coffee order. We've been going there for years. If you came here often they'd know your preferred beverage too. What rubbish that someone 'bumped' your order for ours. The rush was over, it was quieter and people were being served more quickly. I don't know what happened to your order. Did I mention they'd been very busy and mistakes do happen?

When the manager found out what had happened, and that your coffees hadn't come, she was so apologetic. You could tell she was upset. She offered you free coffees. She offered to pay for your pastries.

And what did you do? You were aggressive, rude, disgruntled and threatening. Instead of being a decent person, you loudly advised that obviously you'd received deliberate poor treatment because you're not a local. You made it very clear (and I was sitting close enough to hear your loud cranky rant) that you were going to write a damning review on trip advisor. Which you then did.

I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience. I'm also sorry that you weren't able to speak up and ASK about the delay with your order.

But mostly I'm sorry for how upset the staff were that they couldn't make it right for you and were then shaken by your bullying, that you were so offensively aggressive, and that you wrote such a misleading review.

Harvest have a fine team of dedicated staff. Great food. Great coffee.
I'd recommend the place in a heartbeat.

• Visited December 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Byron Bay, NSW
“Terrible service. Unless you are part of the select crowd.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014 NEW via mobile

We often eat here and have always found the food to be good but pricey, and the service generally poor. It's been that way for years but this morning I had it explained to me. We arrived for coffee and cakes and placed our order. The cakes came immediately, of course, but no coffee. While we waited, a couple of very loud people arrived and proceeded to shout greetings to the staff, lots of air kissing etc, big fuss, big egos. All very annoying but bearable. Within minutes their order arrived and we continued to wait for ours. Finally, we enquired after our order only to learn that our order had been bumped by a staff member in favour of her friends. Our order was "in the system " and would be arriving eventually. So we paid for the cakes and left but were followed outside by one of the staff who explained that these people were regulars who expected - and got - priority service. So, it's simple - if you aren't one of the select few, don't expect anything resembling decent service here. I'd say we won't be going back but I doubt they care - what with all these friends for customers...

Visited December 2014
Hong Kong, China
“Best place in the area. Worth the trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014

It's by far a pioneer in the area serving high quality produce and food with great coffee and decent service. I have only good things to say about harvest. (Note the price. It's exceeds the prices of some of the most expensive Sydney spots). I still go almost everyday when I'm in town for holidays. It's an a1 establishment and worth the trip to newrybar.

Bourne End, United Kingdom
“An absolute must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2014

I very rarely give an excellent, but this place really warrants it. Where to start? We actually went twice, once for lunch, then again for dinner as the place we had booked had a power cut due to a tropical storm. No problem for the Harvest Cafe, they have their own generator.
The service on both occasions was excellent, friendly and informative without being pretentious. The decor in the cafe is relaxed but smart, and the kitchen is open to the dining area. Speaking of the kitchen, I was keen to know about a recipe for carrots, of which later, and was introduced to the chef responsible, who was more than happy to tell me how to cook them. Needless to say, having had a couple of glasses of wine, I'd forgotten all the details by the time I got home!
To the food. I think the piece de resistance had to be the slow cooked lamb with roasted carrots, minted yoghurt fennel and pea shoots. There would have been enough for three, it's a sharing dish, and even with the third person helping us out we couldn't finish it. No problem, we were provided with a doggie bag.
I have to say that all the food we ate was delicious and innovative. It is also locally sourced. There is a marvellous deli next door, with beautiful cheeses and wonderful looking meet hanging in the walk in chiller cabinet. A foodie paradise!

• Visited December 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice evening but perhaps below expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014 via mobile

We have been coming to Harvest Cafe for years for breakfast and lunch but not for dinner. Our expectations were high and although we had a lovely evening it fell below our expectation for a great meal. I will still be back as I love the ambience and location and still one of our favourite places.

Visited December 2014