“Great food, venue lets it down” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 139 Restaurants in Byron Bay
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Fondue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Traditional French Cuisine. All-French staff. Affordable French and Australian wine list. Fully licensed. Gift vouchers available.Vegetarian and gluten-free friendly. We hereby certify that ALL testimonies are genuine, unlike some of our competitors, who need to improve their rating, we have not bought testimonies from any dubious websites..
Brisbane
“Great food, venue lets it down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We really enjoyed the food at The Petit Snail and the staff were great. We would certainly go back, but it is let down by its venue - small, and on the evening we went, very hot. I realise this is the risk with partly outdoor spaces, but it did impact on our enjoyment.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ballina, Australia
“A Lovely Night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Gorgeous food, excellent staff, warm and friendly hostess. The duck was delicious and the snails very tasty. The French white wine I chose was so lovely, I had to ask for them to write down its name. We had a great night just as a couple, but will bring our son with us next time as there is a kid's menu too.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lismore, Australia
“Hostess problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

The food was good, not superb, not fantastic, but my scallops were very nice. My partner had the duck which was also good. Pate was tasty. Our waitress was nice, friendly. Well done to the Chef and staff it is hard work the restaurant business, I know. I am sorry to say the problem we had was the female owner, who at the outset seemed to dislike us. She was short with us when I pointed out to her that there was cigarette smoke wafting through the eating area from someone sitting upwind of the dining area. I wasn't able to make my point, and she got quite defensive. I was pretty shocked, as no reviews I saw mentioned anything similar. She also presented the bill in a rush, and I never actually saw it before she shoved the credit card machine in front of me. Time to go my partner and I thought. They also need a new premises, the dining area is like a cafe, I expected a bit more in terms of decor, paper napkins, cheap aluminium chairs, at $40 a main you need to have an dining experience beyond just the food.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bangalow, Australia
“Special, delightful, delicious and welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

From the moment you arrive at this special, small restaurant you are transported out of Byron Bay and into France. The food is extremely delicious and the atmosphere wonderful , there is a extensive wine list and fine french wine to enjoy with your meals.
The Petit Snail is not a budget restaurant , it is an experience that one must have , it is such fun to visit , because it is a small restaurant, you are treated like part of the family and welcomed so warmly.
Don't miss an opportunity to go to the Petit Snail!
Make it a special night out !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Byron Bay
“A bit for Paris in Byron”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Its obvious this delightful little French restaurant is run by the owners, as the service is immediately attentive, friendly and professional. A couple of complimentary olives as a small starter usually accompany your first drink. If you are dieting this is probably not the place to go, as butter is the friend of French chefs, but all the meals we've tried there have been delectable. They offer French wine selection, however you can still BYO. Probably one of the best restaurants in Byron, especially for special occasions when you don't want any disappointments.

Visited August 2013
Igor A, Owner at The Petit Snail, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear ByronVIP Travel,

thank you so much for your beautiful testimony. We pride ourselves on our service 'à la Française" and our food is prepared from local, organic and mostly home grown produce in the traditional French style. Although we do of course use butter, and various types of oils, these are NEVER cooked and therefore much less harmful. We do not even have a deep fryer in the kitchen...
As a rule we have not accepted BYO for more that 4 years, but trust the French, rules are meant to be occasionally broken ! And I think that on the night you came you were not aware of the change and this is the reason why you were allowed to BYO ! But as we now keep a wide range of French and Australian wines, BYO is definitely not an option anymore.
Hoping to see you again soon...