“False advertising, tasteless food” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Cairns
“False advertising, tasteless food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Beware of this place. We booked here as a group recently because the website promised a $20 set menu for groups. When we called to make our booking, the staff member on the phone confirmed that price for us and also promised to do us a seal on a drinks package. It sounded too good to be true and of course it was. When we got there the staff denied any such package existed (though they still advertise it on their website. We should have left then but we thought we'd give it a go and if the food was decent we certainly wouldn't have minded paying extra. Unfortunately the food was awful, among the worst I've ever had in a restaurant. It was completely tasteless - I don't mean it wasn't spicy enough for my palate; I mean it tasted like absolutely nothing, and everyone at our table had the same experience. Even the Sangria was tasteless. If you ever find yourself in Byron Bay and the Aztec is the only restaurant you can get into, my advice would be to head to the nite owl and pick up some 2 minute noodles - cheaper and better quality food than you will find at this place

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Should have gone to McDonalds”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

As a lover of Mexican food, I was quite surprised at the quality and authentic taste of the Mexican food in Australia. Sadly, the Aztec is Byron Bay is so far moved from this experience that it's slander calling it a "restaurant".

A group of 6 of us went to this establishment on a Saturday night. We should have known something was off because out of the bustling night life in Byron, this was pretty much the only empty restaurant. We were seated quickly and the wait/bar staff were very friendly. We found it amusing that the bartender did not recommend the margaritas, so those who weren't driving ordered beer.

We started off with the guacamole, salsa, and cheese dip. As we waited for the starters to arrive, we all took turns picking the old rice off of the tablecloth and playing "guess what that stain was from". The starters arrived promptly and were decent sized portions.

The salsa was good (I suspect it came from a jar), the guacamole was decent (served in a corn chip cup for some reason), and the chips were good and fresh. The cheese dip was some sickly yellow colour and cracked over the top like it had been sitting out for a while. It tasted like cheddar cheese mixed with sour cream, with the texture of hard ricotta cheese. I'll let you imagine eating that for a few seconds before I continue.

The wait staff was gracious and accommodated out odd request of 32 tacos, four different types, bought out randomly so we didn't know what we were getting (taco eating competition). We ordered 8 of four different types of tacos: beef, chicken, chorizo and bean. Sadly, we did not listen to the waitress who, when asked how good the tacos were, said "yeah they're all right..."

The chicken taco had absolutely no flavour. I believe it was just plain poached chicken, with cheese, lettuce and all that. I could barely choke it down without ample swills of beer. The beef looked like it had been regurgitated by a penguin, with the taste not too far off. It seemed like it had been run through a blender to produce this marginally flavourful beef like slurry. The chorizo was the absolute worst. I think the chef just wanted us to leave, and dropped 8 perfectly log shaped turds in between taco shells and covered them with lettuce and cheese. The filling was hard and aside from a rancid spice favour, tasted of nothing. Upon biting in to one, I immediately felt violated. The taste made me want to curl up in the fetal position and weep softly.

The bean and cheese was quite nice, but I think I would have hung myself if they managed to mess up refried beans covered in cheese.

All in all, the whole experience left us all feeling sick, and not from eating too much. Eight of the 32 tacos were left on the table. Even the wait staff knew we didn't want to take them home and simply took them away not offering to box them up.

So if you're in Byron Bay and have a craving for Mexican food, just go get an El Paso taco kit from Woolies. You'll save a lot of money and it will be ten times more "authentic" than the Aztec.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wollongbar, New South Wales, Australia
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Massive meals - I was so full afterwards couldn't even eat half ofmy main i got it takeaway. Reasonable pricing, friendly staff. Will visit again most definately.

Visited April 2012
“Best Nachos and Margaritas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I don't normally like Mexican, but this is great. Honestly the best nachos I've ever eaten - not too much cheese and other toppings. Really tasty and moorish. Fab margaritas, made with top notch tequila.

Visited December 2011
Brisbane, Australia
“margaritas with a kick!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Liked - Quick service, Food was scrumplicious, Fair Price
disLiked - Closes a little early so if you turn up late you may miss out!

Visited January 2012