“Fish away from the hustle and bustle” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Bentleigh East
“Fish away from the hustle and bustle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

I'd read the reviews here and thought this sounded right up my alley. And it was.

The shop was much less a takeaway and much more a cafe than I'd expected. They save by havig you order at the counter and collecting your own cutlery. There aren't any corners cut on the food though.

I chose a blackboard special of Moroccan spiced wahoo with chips and lemon. My dining partner had the fried fish and chips.

A large square black bowl quickly arrived, with a large, perfectly spiced and cooked fillet on a generous serve of hand-cut fries. It was delish. My companion looked a little wistful - his fish seemed a little less special by comparison.

If you don't want the fries they were offering some other choices with the specials, I can only remember rice, though.

Mongers is off the main drag, so it was lovely to be somewhere more quiet, and there were still people-watching opportunities. The meals were very reasonable, especially since I imagine prices in Byron Bay are standard tourist prices.

Well worth a try if you like good fish cooked well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

sydney,Australia
“Great little find!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

This place is a takeaway fish shop with a few tables for dining in. They provide wine glasses so you can BYO. The fish is incredibly fresh. We had oysters, grilled salmon with handcut chips and salad. All very tasty. The salad is nice with a slice of grilled corn on the cob ontop. Not massive portions but all tasted great!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth
“fresh good food in casual atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband and I wanted a good BYO place to eat in Byron and asked the clerk at the liquor store where we bought a bottle of wine. She recommended the Fish Monger located just behind the Byron Bay Hotel. The place is in an alley way with other restaurants but were told that they made all the food on the premises like hand cut chips, sounded good. We arrived around 6:30 so it was easy to grab a table, any later and you may have to wait. They do do take away. I had calamari with salad and kumera chips. It came served in a big black bowl as all meals did I think. Yummeee! My husband had snapper and chips and salad and his meal had so many chips, rather potato wedges he couldn't eat them all. I like this place as they have fresh fish and that's what you come to Byron Bay for isn't it? Price wise it is excellent value and fresh good food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere