“Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Bay Whale Watching

Blue Bay Whale Watching
Brunswick Heads Boat Harbour | Old Pacific Highway, Brunswick Heads, New South Wales 2483, Australia
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Blue Bay Whale Watching, Byron Bay’s most comfortable Whale Watching tours. Come and enjoy an intimate encounter with our majestic Humpback Whales from the comfort of our 8.5m Cougar Cat “Bay Warrior” without getting wet. Whale sightings are guaranteed or get a second trip free (our success rate in 2012 was 100%). Experience the thrill of seeing Humpback Whales breach and witness the curiosity and playfulness of these magnificent giants. We are the only whale watching operator in the Cape Byron Marine Park whose customers step safely onboard our vessel at the Brunswick Heads/ Byron Bay Boat Harbour without getting wet. The “Bay Warrior” was purposely built for comfort and stability. It has a large cabin for those who feel the cold or want to keep their camera gear dry while still observing the whales. Our stable back deck is also sheltered from the sun and the rain which makes for comfortable viewing for all passengers. The “Bay Warrior” is the only whale watching vessel in Byron Bay with a cabin, shelter from the weather and a toilet. We believe in making our customers as comfortable as possible, so you and your friends and family can fully enjoy their Byron Bay whale watching experience. Small group sizes of no more than 12 passengers per trip allow our friendly professional crew to give you the personalized service you’d expect from the charter operator of your choice.
Brisbane
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I love these guys, genuine people who take great care of their customers. I return year after year. Avoid the crowds and sneak into the sleepy town of Brunswick Heads. Blue Bay will do everything they can to make sure that you have a great day.

Visited August 2013

Lismore, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Brilliant Experience - Fantastic Operators”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had a wonderful whale watching experience with Blue Bay Whale Watching in July 2013. After boarding the boat at the Brunswick Heads jetty we were given a safety brief as we motored out to the bar. Life jackets were handed out for the crossing and the skipper made a smooth and safe pass through the entrance and in about 15 minutes we had whales in sight.
For the entire trip we had a group of 4 or 5 whales quite close to the boat and there were many photo opportunities. We followed the whales along the coast stopping every now and then to enjoy their close inspection of the boat and showing off for us.
Towards the end of the allotted time for the trip we noticed a couple of whales doing head stands and flapping their tails. These were a way off but the crew decided it was worth while extending our time and getting closer to these whales to see what they were up to.
For the entire trip were treated to a spectacular display of whales doing all sorts of interesting things. I had a ball and found the crew to be very happy to go out of their way to allow the passengers to get the most out of the trip.
We were served a hot drink and biscuits during our trip.
I have been on whale watching trips in Queensland and NZ and the experience with Blue Bay Whale Watching left the other operators for dead. We saw whales up close, the crew looked after us well and did an excellent job providing us with a close up experience of whale watching.
The Bay Warrior is a well appointed boat with a shaded viewing area and a marine toilet. There was also opportunity to move around and get different viewpoints. I spent a lot of my trip up on the bow where I had an excellent view in all directions and managed to take some wonderful photos.
I would advise anyone who is considering whale watching to make a booking with Blue Bay Whale Watching. You will not be sorry you did. I know for sure that I will be going out with them again.

Visited July 2013
Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Great day, friendly service and wonderful whale watching experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Thanks for a fabulous morning whale watching - I really enjoyed my trip!

After a fabulous whale watching trip last year with Blue Bay, I booked to see the southern migration of the humpback whales with Blue Bay Whale Watching again this year.

I live in Brisbane, and I chose Blue Bay at Brunswick Heads as they have a smaller comfortable boat and offer friendly, personalised service, limited to only 12 passengers.

We had a lovely group of 12 people on the boat – and it was fun sharing the experience and listening to the oohs and ahs as the whales breached, splashed and showed off.

The team had someone watching from a coastal vantage points looking out for the active whales and guiding the boat to the best places for watching the whales.

Mark, the boat’s skipper, is very knowledgeable about humpback whales and their migration and was eager to answer the group’s questions.

I will be booking again next year – and have recommended Blue Bay to my friends!

Visited October 2013
“Great experience, with exceptional customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My partner and I have gone out with blue bay both whale watching and diving half a dozen time over the past few months. Once you've been, you just cant keep away! It's so much more personal than other companies and you are well looked after every minute. The staff have years of experience and will do everything they can to make your day special. You should strongly consider taking sea sickness tablets to make sure you get the most out of the day, in case the ocean is a little rough. If you do happen to get sick rest easy that the staff we look after you. You will always feel safe and comfortable on their boat. I would highly recommend Blue Bay and have gone back again and again myself. You'll have a great day getting up and close with the whales.

Sydney, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Far from stable!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

The website clearly states this is a very stable boat and ample space...I also made a point of calling and asking how rough the boat would get as my husband does get sea sick when it's rough. I was assured if the weather means the trip will be too rough they cancel. She did suggest sea sickness tablets if i was concernd at all. Well, my husband took a double dose and even with that he had to spend the whole trip standing and focussing on the horizon so he wouldn't vomit as the boat lurched up and down and side to side. My poor nine yr old, who has never been sea sick and has been on boats before, didnt fare so well - she threw up six times and the trip was hell from start to finish as a consequence. $230 down the toilet as far as we were concerned. I think it would be fine if you knew what you were getting and were prepared for it (I didn't get sick although i spent the whole trip looking after my daughter) and we did see whales, but I think they should have been more honest about how much motion there would be - I felt deceived, particularly as they were trying to get us to take sea sickness tablets before we boarded - they obviously know it's pretty rough. And although there was only eight of us I would find it hard to believe this boat would even seat 12 - we didn't have that much space as it was.

Visited October 2013
Christina G, Manager at Blue Bay Whale Watching, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear LPTraveller
We’re very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your whale watching trip with us. With regards to your comments about our boat, we would like to point out that the Bay Warrior is a heavy fibreglass twin hull boat and as such the most stable you could possibly get in a seagoing boat of its size. It is 8.5m long with two viewing decks and surveyed for 12 passengers plus 2 crew. Other operators in the area will take you out on a 6m rubberduck with up to 14 passengers plus crew, so in comparison, there is a lot of space on our boat.
We mention seasickness tablets to everyone, even on the calmest of days, just as part of our customer service, because a lot of people are not used to going out on boats and appreciate the advice as they might not think of it. If we deem sea conditions to be unsuitable on the day, our trips get cancelled. You have to understand that we are going out into the open ocean where it will never be like a lake. There will always be some water movement whether it is swell or wind chop. We work very hard studying forecasts and reading the ocean to pick the right times for our customers and to make our trips enjoyable. All the other customers on the day said they really enjoyed the trip. It is impossible to say exactly how much motion there will be on the boat on the day and how the individual will handle that motion. We’re sorry to hear that this didn’t work for you and your family, but I remember that when booking and on the day of your trip you were complaining about your previous whale watching experience further down the coast. I also remember suggesting a different date with a better forecast for you and your family after hearing about your seasickness concern, but you chose not to take our advice. We hope that you will consider that it’s not fair to give our operation or any other operator a poor rating as a result of not being comfortable on boats in general.