“Disappointing...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Craigieburn

You added Peppers Craigieburn to your Saves list
Peppers Craigieburn
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Centennial Rd | Southern Highlands (formerly Craigieburn Resort), Bowral, New South Wales 2576, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bradman Experience
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had heard really good things about Peppers Resort and believed that they were the best resort chain in Australia.... but certainly not what I expected... The property was beautiful, well kept, tidy with beautiful gardens...But the service was quite average. We booked the high-tea package, for which the reception told us that it started from 11am.. yet when we turned up to the restaurant at 11am, the woman's attitude was woeful. Is it my fault that there was a breakdown in communication between the restaurant and reception?! I took my mother away for a Easter weekend away and was a bit embarassed about the way that we were treated. Reluctant to stay at one of your properties again due to a lack in service...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Casunieks

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I have noted your comments in relation to the food & beverage experience and have addressed this with the staff member concerned. I assure you this is not the normal standard and appreciate the feedback that has enabled this to be addressed.

Thank you for your kind comments on the properties presentation as we do take pride in our Hotel and the grounds and it is great to know they are enjoyed.

Robyn Bautovich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here as part of a conference. The rooms are small although tastefully appointed with ensuite including bath and separate shower. Bed was very comfortable. The property has communal spaces inside and out which invite relaxing and create an atmosphere of peacefulness and calm. The staff are all quite friendly and the Executive Chef cooks some amazing dishes.

Room Tip: If you travel with a lot of luggage, ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hi Brissiegurl

Appreciate you having taken the time to provide feedback on you stay. Great to read you found the staff friendly and you enjoyed the food.

Hope you find time to visit with us again.

Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

A quick getaway weekend was just not memorable as a result of the service offrred by Peppers. It was a last minute idea to splurge on something better than a motel and we sadly left wondering why.

The location is beautiful, rooms great although I would be careful as we were given a shoebox in the old part of hotel.

I guess most of our dissatisfaction was a result poor service and a very average breakfast. Sure it was a Sunday and yep we rolled in with half an hour of service left, but this shouldn't account for a shortage of food, dirty tables etc. I watched as a couple who arrived after us who left to eat elsewhere because there simply wasn't any food left!!

Oh and to add insult to injury, espresso coffee wasn't included, "that will be extra". When are hotels going to learn that, no one will pay extra. Like Internet usage they should be complimentary and not some stupid extra.

We visit the Southern Highlands regularly and won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi Sydney tiger

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay.

I apologise that the breakfast had not been fully replenished on your arrival at the Restaurant and understand your disappointment.. Your comments on the breakfast and have past this on to the relevant Department Manager to address.

We do take pride in our service and it is disappointing when we do not meet the guest expectation. I assure you we will take this feedback on board to ensure we improve in this area in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have recently returned from a wedding at Bowral and we stayed at Craigieburn with high expectations. We upgraded to a balcony suite but unfortunately it was a suite in name only. The room was extremely small and very disappointing, I know that this is only trivial but there was not even a waste paper basket in either the room or the adjoins small bathroom.
The outside awash old world charm and the grounds were magnificent. All in all a great disappointment

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hi cjgdegh

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay.

Sorry to learn you were disapponted in the complimentary upgrade to an Elms Balcony room which you seem to have had the impression was a suite which is not the case. The Hotel only has one suite which was occupied by the bride and groom during your stay. My apologies if this was not conveyed to your at the time.

Great to read that you enjoyed out magnificent gardens and the old world charm of Peppers Craigieburn.

Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a group of 10 people stay for 3 nights at Peppers Craigieburn for a Research Retreat. The property is so beautiful, the food was absolutely amazing and the service by the staff was fantastic - nothing was too much trouble! We'd totally recommend Peppers Craigieburn!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you Kelly for your great feedback which will be shared with the team. It was a pleasure to have you and your group with us

We look forwad to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Overwhelmingly disappointing for a variety of reasons.

Booked 5 Elm Balcony rooms in December 2012 (for a stay in January 2013) and asked that the rooms be located next to each other. Not informed by Peppers staff at time of booking that room requests are not guaranteed. This wonderful piece of information is given in writing only after the booking has been made. Be that as it may, subsequently had a member of my party ring a few nights before our arrival and we received oral confirmation from Peppers staff that all 5 rooms would be together on the Elm Balcony. On arrival however this wasn’t the case as one of our party was given a room (it was more like a shoebox) on the other side of the complex. After some tedious discussion this was changed to a room on the Elm balcony which was close, but not together, with our other 4 rooms. Why this wasnt done from the start I dont know. If room locations are not to be guaranteed then this message needs to be given consistently by staff at all times from booking, to confirmation to arrival, and not in a piecemeal fashion.

On arrival staff at front desk couldnt find our booking. After finding the booking the staff member couldnt work out who had which room. All the necessary information was contained in the accomodation confirmation. It just needed to be printed and read which seemed to be difficult for some reason. This fluffing around took about 20 minutes for my booking alone.

Reception is at the top of numerous steep external steps. Whilst a porter service is advertised there was no porter to meet guests at the bottom of the steps which is where the assistance is really needed. I was offered a porter after I checked in but by that stage the hard work had been done, and in any event the porter did not seem readily available so I decline assistance. I later regretted declining assistance as the halls leading to our room were very narrow- I would guess around 90-100cms wide. Definitely a one way corridor as two way traffic was definitely a bit too close and personal. Navigating the halls with luggage was cumbersome, difficult and annoying. We were later informed that there is a disability/level entrance around the back of the premises. This is not readily obvious on arrival.

Whilst some staff tried their very best to be helpful I found the general level of service to be poor, and staff generally disinterested. Staff appeared well trained in passing the buck to each other and proffering excuses.

Food in the dining room was average. Prices high.
A round of golf for guests costs $15 for a round, more if you need clubs.
Grounds were lovely.
It is hard to recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear ChickieJ

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay I appreciate all feedback as this allow us to address areas in need of improvement.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced with your rooms and check in. This has been addressed with the staff concerned to ensure improvement in this area.

It is disappointing when we do not meet guest expectation as the staff are very passionate about the Hotel and what they do, however with this feedback we can improve on the overall guest expereinece.

Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Well...a lovely place significantly let down by ordinary service and disinterested staff. There is no porter to assist navigate both the stairs and the corridors, sheets weren't clean & no real interest from staff when advised. That's not to say the sheets were not exchanged...there was no reaction at all from housekeeping and it seemed that this was something that happens all the time. When my mother advised the wait staff in the restaurant that the coffee was tepid a waitress told her...and I kid you not as I heard the exchange..."I don't have that problem, I don't drink coffee". She then turned on her heel and left our table. When we asked another member of the wait staff to assist in bringing a cake knife to cut a cake she replied..."sorry, it is in my contract of employment that I cannot carry a cake knife, it is an OH&S issue". Even if that is true, our party would have appreciated someone that could assist us with a proactive solution rather than giving us such a glib response. As for OH&S issues...I noted that there were a number of power plugs in the rooms that either had not been tested or were out of test date (management...I'll give you a clue...check the wall mounted TV, electric kettles & lights around the mirrors in the bathrooms). I'm sure the staff could do with a little more front-line training and be a little more empathetic and accommodating. I hope the management see this as a very real improvement opportunity and not provide a stock standard response about being sorry.

In a nutshell...I just expected more. More professionalism, more service and more desire to provide a special experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
pepperscraigieburn, General Manager at Peppers Craigieburn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear bigbadlupo

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay. We welcome all feedback as this enables us to improve on areas needing more attention and reward staff where due.

We do offer a Porter service and I apologise if this was not offered in your instance. With regards to the comments on the linen I can assure you this is not a not a common occurance and is taken up with the linen supply company should the quality not be up to standard. As you note the sheets were changed promptly when the issue was highlitghted.

With regards to your comments on the power to the room I advise the Management conducts testing and tagging of the entire Hotel annually. The issue you hightlight was due to the power tag on your room key not being inserted in the power source in the room and I believe this was rectified when queried with Reception.

I was disappointed to read your feedback on our food and beverage staff member. I have spoken to the staff member involved and reiterated company policy and that these type of comments are not acceptable. She has asked me to extend to you her apologies. Your comments on the knife have also been addressed with the staff member concerned. Thank you for providing this feedback as it has allowed us to ensure the staff are fully aware of service standards.

I apologise for the issues that you encounted and thank you for providing an opportunity to address them.

Robyn Bautovich

Been to Peppers Craigieburn? Share your experiences!