“Nice pub!” 4 of 5 stars

317 St Lawrence St, Merrickville, Ontario K0G 1N0, Canada
613.269.2094
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Diner, Canadian, Pub, Family Fare
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We are a full service restaurant located in beautiful historic Merrickville. We also have a great pub for get togethers with friends or casual meetings with clients all in an 1856 historic building. During beatiful summer weather sit on our patio and have a great meal in the sunshine! Book your next party in our separate party room that can accommodate up to 50. If it's a group, a family outing or a romantic night out give us a call or just drop in and we can accommodate all your needs. Cheers from The Goose!!
Ottawa, ON
“Nice pub!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great ambience and good food. The menu has a good variety to choose from as well. The G&G is a great place to finish a day's shopping at the many shops of Merrickville.

Visited October 2013
Thegooseandgrid... M, Owner at Goose & Gridiron, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
We are very happy you enjoyed our pub in beautiful historic Merrickville. We hope to see you visit our village and establishments again. Cheers from all of us at The Goose!

Ottawa, Canada
“Nothing to write home about!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I think it would be a good spot if you we're stopping in for a beer. I wasn't overly excited about the food. I had a club sandwich and sweet potato fries. The fries were ok but the sandwich was over toasted and bone dry. I added as much mayo as I could but it still didn't help. There are many other small cafes that I would rather try next time. The only positive part was the air conditioning.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thegooseandgrid... M, Owner at Goose & Gridiron, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thanks for visiting us. We would like if you would give us a second chance and we would make it worth your while if you did. We prepare all our food on premise and take great pride in doing so. Our turkey is fresh roasted every week for our clubs so we have the freshest ingredients possible. This said we snort know what happened but never want our guests to leave unhappy so email us at thegoose1856@hotmail.com and we will make things right so you give us a second chance. Cheers from all of us at The Goose
Perth, Canada
“Good restaurant but spotty service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Last week we took family out to celebrate a birthday, this week to celebrate our anniversary. The food was good as always but the service was as different as night and day. Both of our servers were accurate with our orders but one made dining a pleasure, the other tonight made us feel invisible. Our waitress forgot about us but another noticed and filled in smiling. We chose to come here tonight because of previous excellent experiences and will definitely come back but hope our waitress will better reflect the congenial atmosphere which at the Goose and Gridiron is warm and friendly. Locals join cottages, boaters and day trippers for a friendly evening out. It's worth the visit.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thegooseandgrid... M, Owner at Goose & Gridiron, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are very happy the quality of our food was up to your standards but we are very sorry you felt like your server was not attentive enough. I looked into this matter and spoke to the person who was serving you this night and she felt very sorry you were not happy with your dinning experience on this night. She is one of our senior staff and is a very good server. We always appreciate all our guests reviews and we are always improving ourselves to make sure our guests have the ultimate dinning experience. Forgive us if we did not meet the mark, it will not happen again. Cheers!
Ottawa, Canada
“20 years”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

In 20 years of living in the area, I have yet to have a decent meal at this place within a decent time frame. And I tried once a year to check again. A group of 10 or so of us used to gather once or twice a year, but we don't any more. I never wanted to go there, and the group talked me into it each time. The third year of waiting an hour and a half just for appetizers was enough for everyone. My experience has been undercooked fish, overnuked steak and kidney pie, and generally badly cooked everything else. As a local, I never recommend this place to anyone. Oh wait, the pizza used to be good -- haven't had it in a while.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thegooseandgrid... M, Owner at Goose & Gridiron, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
I'm sorry we can't seem to please you. We have many locals frequent our establishment on a weekly basis and love our place. We also serve thousands of people a year with rave reviews. We take great pride in offering high quality food that is prepared on premises. So upon reading this review I spoke with our staff to try and get to the bottom of this situation. They assured me no one has ever waited 1.5 hrs for an app and since we had the car show in Merrickville last weekend and we served over 400 meals at lunch and no one waited for more than 45 mins for food I find this highly unusual that you would have to wait 1.5 hrs. Secondly our fish is pre blanched so raw fish never comes out of the kitchen and the pies are made by the day and oven baked so overnuking them is also not possible. If you would have emailed us we would have certainly rectified the situation and if you would like to bring in your receipt we would gladly refund your money!
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
“Best barbecue sauce north of the Mason Dixon line”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

After returning from my trip to Germany, Ireland and Ottawa, people asked what was my best meal. I had to admit it was the quarter barbecue chicken, cole slaw and fries at the Goose & Gridiron in Merrickville. Having just been to Kansas City and eaten at famous barbecue joints, I can truly say that the barbecue sauce at Goose & Gridiron is fabulous. The cole slaw and fries were the best I've ever had, and normally I don't eat french fries but these were wonderful, especially dipped in the extra bowl of barbecue sauce. I'd go back in a heartbeat, and next time I'd save room for the desserts that were chalked up on the pillars.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thegooseandgrid... M, Owner at Goose & Gridiron, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are thrilled to have been part of such a great adventure of yours and are very pleased you had a great stay with us. Thanks for the great comments and we look forward to being part of your future adventures. Cheers from all of us at The Goose :)