“dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Smiths Falls, Canada
“dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have had several meals there both lunch and dinner. Each meal has been every good. It is an interesting spot specializing in English cuisine with A Charles Dickens theme

Visited May 2012

47% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“Poor Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I booked this restaurant two months before planning to attend the Christmas in Merrickville weekend. I requested a table near the centre of the front dining room for 5:30 and was asked if I could arrive at 6:00 p.m. instead as there was a large party at 5:30. We were a party of 4 senior ladies, all over 65 years of age. At no time were we told the table was needed for a party of seven within 90 minutes of eating.

We did not get a table in the room we requested, rather beside the bar and next door to the outside door which brought in a chill blast of air every few seconds when people came in. Our food was cold when it arrived and we were informed that "it chills down on the way from the kitchen." When I asked for another glass of wine, our waitress said "I don't know if you'll have time to drink it as we need your table in 15 minutes." We then said we hadn't been offered coffee, dessert, or even water and no one had ever come back once the plates were served to see if the meal was acceptable. Coffee arrived, but we had to ask for cream and sugar. We order a creme bulee but were informed we wouldn't be served dessert as the table was needed immediately by a group of 7 (although there were only 6 seats available)

A woman, presumably the manager, came to the table and asked us to leave -- said "you're stalling purposely" and while I was trying to count the money so we would have enough (we did not use credit cards) we were rudely informed that "I'll count the money for you" implying our math skills weren't up to par. All four of us are retired teachers.

Never have we been so insulted or treated so badly in a restaurant. In fact, one of the ladies with us -- had told us her grandfather owned the land upon which the restaurant was sitting today so she has a long-standing history with Merrickville. I would definitely not recommend this place based purely on the total lack of service we received from the early booking back in October until being "evicted" -- at no time were we ever told that we needed to be in a hurry or of course, we would have adhered to this but to give us 10 minutes notice that the table was needed before coffee and dessert had even been offered is an insult. We will not be back to this place.

Lynne, Toronto

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
crazyowner, Owner at Gad's Hill Place, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I am sorry that these ladies did not enjoy their experience with us. Unfortunately they did not seem to remember that they were informed that their table had been booked for another seating. When I realized that they had not finished their dessert and coffees I politely offered to move them to another table where they could relax and stay as long as they wanted. They did not find this to be to their liking and, although they could clearly see that the group of 7 were patiently standing by waiting for them to leave so they could be seated they refused to budge. I would like to point out that tables were occupied all day and night and were turned over quite smoothly. The hundreds of other people who dined with us that day were not only understanding but happy that they could get a table at all. The day went very smoothly, customers were happy and they thanked us profusely for the service and the food despite the "busyness" of the day. At any rate it was too bad the very gratifying day we had had to end on a sour note.
Ottawa, Canada
“Cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My friend and I stopped in for lunch on a Saturday while touring the general area. We were greeted warmly, and seated instantly in the dining room. The menus are served in copies of Dickens' works, blue cover for lunch, red for dinner. There is a history of the place in the menu, however, they were removed from our table before we could read them. Our table was small, which was fine, and the base was the base of an old Singer sewing machine. None of the tables seem to match, and the wooden chairs vary as well.

My lunch was delicious, I ordered the cottage pie, with salad. The corn relish was a perfect addition. My friend's sandwich was nothing special (according to her) but was good.

It is located in a historical building, which adds character, stone walls are visible, however, this also makes for a cozy dining area.

The only negative was that our waitress didn't know the major ingredients in many of the dishes and the delay (of 5 minutes) of getting salad dressing after our meals were served.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Awesome service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Beautiful surroundings, a feel of the past. We loved the menus printed inside a Dicken's book! Very cool! Food was excellent!

Visited September 2012
Bancroft, Canada
“Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stopped for a beer, so can't comment on the food, but would go back again just for the Dickensian atmosphere. Charming.

Visited August 2012