“Interesting, flavourful food in a comfortable atmosphere.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ottawa, Canada
“Interesting, flavourful food in a comfortable atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We ate here on a Friday lunch while visiting Merrickville. It is hard to find since the yellow canoe marking the front is on the main street, not actually on St. Lawrence Street; you are better to continue west along Main street past St. Lawrence and park there. Either that or park immediately on St. Lawrence when you turn South from Main at the intersection with the bridge.
The owners seemed to know most of the patrons who came while we were there although they were not necessarily locals. We had half sandwiches and their soup. The bread was delicious, the fillings fresh and the soups very tasty. I had their chocolate truffle cake for dessert which was amazing. They do have vegan and gluten-free options and handled the allergies well. We will be back!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

76% Recommend
Kingston, Canada
“True meaning of Home Made”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

These folks raise their own meats on their farm! If knowing where your food comes from is important, check out this place. Not fancy but great food!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nassau, New Providence Island
“Interesting Food, Small Portions, Great Ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Yellow Canoe Cafe is hard to find. It is at the back of the building in the first heritage building on the main street near the intersection that leads to the bridge across the canal.

We chose this as a lunch place because I am a believer in that the crowd is always right, and the Yellow Canoe Cafe was packed. The ambiance is great. A yellow canoe hangs from the wall. The view of heritage buildings from the window is superb. The staff is helpful, amazing and well trained, in spite of an inordinate amount of body piercings on them. All great people though.

The menu is limited but it is obvious that care is taken in the food. The bread is artisan bread. The menu has such things as pulled pork sandwich and a zinger version called the Zesty Pig. There was a lovely pear and ginger soup. There are no fries on the menu in spite of a club sandwich on the menu, which is good for the waistline, but bad for me because I am a fry addict or a french fryaholic. There is the usual cafe items, and this is one of the few places where one can still get a Ploughman's Lunch. It was a rather perfunctory Ploughman's Lunch with artisan bread, but a good one nonetheless, in spite of a misery amount of groceries.

That is my one complaint about the place. The waitress touted the pulled pork so I went for it, and when it came, I was a little amazed at how small the sandwich was. The Ploughman's lunch had just a few meager slices of cheese.

The food is fabulous. The julienne carrots were actually dilled (marinated in dillweed) before being added to the salad, which shows that attention is paid to the food. The salad had toasted walnuts which gave a very pleasant and unexpected taste. The bread, what little of it came, was heavenly.

It is obvious that this is where the locals eat for lunch. The food is healthy. There are wonderful desserts like the gluten-free coconut macaroons which are fabulous. As for ambiance, there is a heater that works well that pumps out a lot of heat, so that the place is always toasty. There are some amazing photographs on the wall that have obviously been taken somewhere on the path of the paddle. And of course, there is the yellow canoe on one wall and a lithograph of a yellow canoe below it.

So all in all, this is still the go-to place for lunch. As for the crowd-sourcing, the Yellow Canoe Cafe has the numbers to be number one, but I am going to rate in average in value, because of the small portions. The Ploughman's Lunch rang in at thirteen dollars, and the pulled pork sandwich for the full portion (a half portion is available .. for canaries I suppose), came in around $11 which is a little high for the quantity. If the sandwich was bigger, I wouldn't have minded the price.

The wine is meh -- they need someone who can pick wines. The beers on the other hand are fabulous. We had a Netherworld Flying Monkey Dark from Barrie Ontario which is a dark stout and delicious. The Cracked Canoe from Moosehead was a delightful beer, with a nice hop fragrance. The bottled beer was $5 per bottle, which is OK, I guess.

Lunch for two came to about $40 which is high considering that I went away wanting more. So we will be back if we are ever in Merrickville again, but I really do hope that they hop up the portion size or lower the price.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Smiths Falls, Canada
“lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Everything was home made and fresh. They even take vegan and gluten free into consideration. Desserts were very good

Visited June 2012
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“OK - But Once Was Enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

A colleague and I met at the Yellow Canoe for lunch on a Monday. I was glad that I phoned ahead because I was asked if I wanted to make a reservation...So perhaps, because it was so booked up my expectations were high. The service was friendly but slooow. The cafe was full, but it's a pretty small place to begin with. There's not much atmosphere, but I don't really mind that. The food was great - nice, homemade soup and tasty sandwich on artisan bread (gluten free bread was available) - but the serving sizes...well, my friend summed it up nicely "These are little old-lady sized servings aren't they"? she commented. The full soup bowl was about 1 cup, the bread was very thinly sliced and the filling scant. I'm not a really big eater or anything, there just wasn't a lot there. The prices weren't outrageous ($29 for the two of us, plus tip) but I really didn't feel like I got enough value for the money.

• Visited November 2012