“holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in St Austell
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went into the White Hart for dinner and everyone were so helpful and the food was really very good. Thank you everyone for your kindness as we had our Grandson with learn difficulties and you all coped very well. I will class everything as great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My sister and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights whilst we were in St Austell for our Grandad's funeral. The rooms were really nice, clean and comfortable and plenty warm enough.
Breakfast was very good value for money and very fresh. But the best thing about the hotel were the staff, really lovely, polite friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this to anyone :)

Room Tip: The Duchy room is great and easily sleeps 3
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

They are located on a one way system and their parking lot is by the turn-off for the hotel across a very busy road.

Bed was not so comfy, views were not great.

At breakfast, we were handed a menu with prices, the waitress did not tell us that as overnight guests a part of the breakfast offerings were included and therefore we were to ignore the prices. I think this is something we should have been told when we sat down.

We did not have dinner here, as the menu was not enticing.

Staff were friendly.

If I were in this area in the future, I would not stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chepstow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We didn't stay at this hotel but its restaurant was recommended by the people at the B&B in which we stayed.
Service was excellent and the food superb. If the place gets onto a restaurant list I'd happily write about the food.
Only blip was the fire alarm going off twice while we ate! Apologies were immediate and profound!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

From the cheery hello to the friendly wave goodbye, I had a great experience at the White Hart, it is the best hotel I have stayed at in Cornwall. As a cyclist the bath was very welcome, as was the excellent real ale - it helps that the brewery is within walking distance. All the staff I dealt with were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

I don't like dining alone in restaurants so I asked if I could have dinner in my room which was no problem. For the £15 half board deal (two courses from the menu) I expected decent pub grub but what I got was fine dining. Juicy scallops on hogs pudding which is the delicious Cornish version of black/white pudding, followed by duck breast with the creamiest most scrummy potatoes I've ever had. I love food, and I've eaten at some great restaurants, so I appreciate top quality home cooked food. The White Hart may not quite be Michelin star but for £15 I felt I was stealing from them! When I asked why the place wasn't packed with diners I was told they struggle to compete with the local Wetherspoons on price. IMO they are not on the same planet as Wetherspoons, they need to market their great food before the talented chef and his staff move elsewhere.

The White Hart is right in the middle of town so handy for the cinema, shops etc. People mentioned the church bells, which concerned me a bit, but I could hardly hear them from my room, so it wasn't a problem at all.

I can honestly say that the breakfast was the finest I have ever eaten in a hotel in thirty years, both in quality and quantity. Even the hash browns seemed home made rather than the usual frozen cheap affairs. If I was staying anywhere near here, I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else. Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have baths so ask for one if you fancy a soak.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Nice little guest house/hotel. Ok decor and nice dining rooms and bedrroms were ok.
The staff while always very nice and friendly seemed to have been trained quite poorly. i got the feeling they had all started in the job that day. They had a habit of running out of things aswell. They ran out of risotto for one customer and coffee from one machine at breakfast for another. Somebody abandoned 'Henry' the hoover (and a bag of rubbish) outside our bedroom landing for at least 12 hours. Quite funny really.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The White Hart is an unpretentious St.Austell Brewery Hotel. My guess is that they would rate themselves 3-star, and by that measure they do a very good job. The place has been made-over in recent years and, whilst one might regret the loss of some old pub/hotel feel, its light new decor is well executed and the place is clean. The Manager does a good job keeping an eye on things, and the young, mainly local staff are friendly and obliging. Our double room overlooking the church was large, light and comfortable, with a very adequate en suite bathroom. Everything worked, which is not always the case. The church clock has a pleasing Westminster chime, which is turned-off through the night, so there's no problem sleeping.
The dining experience is fine for the type of establishment. Breakfast buffet is a tad underwhelming by modern standards, but cooked food was all as ordered. Service was fine.
St.Austell Breweries make a big thing about locally sourced ingredients, so it was disappointing to be served over-heavy German yoghurt and rather thin French marmalade at breakfast. There's a private hotel carpark across the road, though it does tend to fill-up, and I think that some of the 'culprits' were probably not residents - need to tighten-up ! Overall this was a good value 3-night stay, enhanced by helpful and friendly staff, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The White Hart? Share your experiences!