“Another wonderful break” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in St Austell
Loddon, United Kingdom
“Another wonderful break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I am not sure why people complain about the cottages and the access as the hotel website clearly explains about the access to the cottage?? Anyway, we stayed here this last weekend and it was our second stay this year. We have stayed in two different rooms both of which were very clean and well decorated. As for low ceilings, its an old building and this adds to its charm as do the wonky floors!. It you are looking for a large 5 star often souless style chain hotel, then this is not the place to stay. If your looking for a small cosy but well decorated and boutique style hotel that makes you feel at home, then this is the place to stay!ll

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Okehampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here with friends last night , we received a very warm welcome with coffee and mince pies. Our rooms were stunning, comfortable and warm.
Our evening meal was exceptional - nothing left on the plates ! The staff were a credit to the Hotel
Breakfast - my husband is still raving about the kippers !
Without doubt I would recommend this hotel /restaurant to anyone - can't wait to go back !

Bodmin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night with friends we had a very warm welcome and the staff could not have been more helpful. The food in the restaurant was absolutely fantastic you could not fault it at all. The room we stayed in was beautifully decorated and really clean. we had an absolutely fantastic relaxing night away. We will be returning in the not too distant future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My fiance and I arrived here for a romantic weekend away - in many ways it was not the idyllic weekend which we had hoped for. The actual manor house itself was nice although the ceilings are incredibly low be warned - however, the cottage was quite a journey/walk up two hills from the manor house- I came in expensive boots and the gravel destroyed my boots. However, the good news is that there is separate car parking for your car close to this cottage. There was no safe in the room which was highly disappointing as it says on the company website that there are safes in every room.

The bar area felt dirty - the tables weren't very clean and uncomfortable wicker chairs (also the dining room chairs are incredibly uncomfortable). The food was admittedly lovely - no complaints there. There were two pools and a hot tub which for me personally, for hygiene reasons i would not want to use.

What was most disappointing was how soft the bed was too - my fiance and I literally sunk right into the middle of the bed and it put us both in incredibly bad moods. Instead of having a £200 radio they should seriously look at investing in a new bed - even given previous reviews have been so negative about the soft beds - we had two single beds put together too - I figured that the management would have read these reviews and then bought a new bed - shocking, truly the worst bed that I have ever slept on. The cover was also dirty with disgusting dark brown stains - I do not know what these stains were but they made me feel ill. Also, there was no duvet and it was freezing.

Then - there was damp all on the one side of the wall in the bathroom - one of the staff members kindly brought us some logwood for a fire, however this lasted for a good 15 minutes. I would also recommend for them to put a bigger jug of milk in the fridge for guests - as my fiance and I fly through coffee - and the tiny jug of milk did not go very far.

The ambience for breakfast was awful - very uncomfortable breakfast furniture and the wicker vibe is not to my taste. The staff, apart from one gentleman called Lee who was wonderful were not very animated either.

I would definately come back if the above issues are resolved - and the rooms need to be revamped, however I will not be back in a heartbeat. Also, apparently you can hear noise from the room next door as there is an interconnecting door - luckily we did not experience

Room Tip: Try and go for a room in the manor house and make sure the two beds are a double if you are a couple...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Cant rate this place enough, all the staff were very pleasant ,,helpful and approachable, room was to an excellent standard and food in the restaurant was fantastic. The local brewed lager is a tad expensive but very good.
All in all we had a 3 night stay, and loved it, will be returning one day.

Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed for a two night break in September and had a lovely time. The rooms were lovely and very clean with attention to detail. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and have since sent our son and daughter in law there for a romantic break away from their three children. We have since booked to return with friends in January. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: We very much recommend this family run hotel. Staff very friendly and accommodating and rooms very n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We came here for my birthday and a romantic relaxing weekend; I wanted to love it and some things were great, but it just missed the mark, mainly in little ways. We arrived to a friendly welcome and were escorted through the grounds to Jasmine. We had asked for a double bed but arrived to find two twin beds with rather shabby white candlewick bedspreads on them. I pointed out the error and received a prompt apology and this situtation was resolved instantly with a gold overspread on the top which looked much nicer. The room had been cleaned but the previous guests soap and shower gel had been left on the soap tray in the shower; there was only 1 packet of biscuits which my husband promptly polished off - surely in a double room, one would expect a packet each? There was some slighly over-ripe fruit left on the side but no bottled water. A fridge was in the wardrobe, which whilst useful, took up a lot of space and was rather nosiy at night. There was no safe in the room and the room lock was a bit dodgy on the patio double doors so my husband improvised with an elastic band to hold the lock up! The walk to the hotel for dinner was a bit precarious too; my Quashqai only just fitted up the drive to the room with the mirrors folded in, but we were pleased it was close, as the drive was badly lit, slippery and steep and we managed the walk down with an emergency torch found in the car as there wasn't one in the room. Dinner was superb and I had birthday conferetti left on our table which was a lovely touch. However staff need better training - I used to work in catering management and guests should be served in the right order; this was particularly noticeable at breakfast next morning when we were in first but were last to have our hot order taken - and there were only 3 tables. The Breakfasts and Dinner on the second night were all good but DON'T order the cheesecake - this consisted of two teaspoons of an Angel's Delight type mixture in taste and texture, a scattering of crumbs any self-respecting sparrow would have rejected and a dollop of sorbet in the middle - seeing as all the desserts were in excess of £6 I was not amused - a reaction shared with at least two other tables who were equally appalled. Yet none of us as far as I am aware were asked if we'd prefer to order something else - I thought the waiter has misheard my order when mine arrived and my face obviously said it all when he confirmed it was the cheesecake! So all in all a mixed reaction but when we're back in Cornwall we will be exporing other options first.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa? Share your experiences!