“Great pub” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, British, English, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Award winning cosy Cornish pub situated in a beautiful valley near St Austell and the Eden Project serving great food, wine,ale, and coffee.
“Great pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Had this recommended to us by Tim at the B & B and he wasn't wrong about. The food was excellent, staff were brilliant, and a lovely warm welcoming atmosphere. Would definatly recommend a visit even if of the beaten track although it is signposted from the main road.

Polgooth-Inn, Owner at Polgooth Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review - must thank Tim also !

Leeds, United Kingdom
“I don't get it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This place was recommended to us so we decided to have an evening meal here on the last night of our holiday.
Service was quick and friendly but I don't get why everyone says the food is good!
The food was below average in my opinion.
My husband had a whitebait starter - usually these are small and come in a light batter - these were large and in some kind of breaded coating and many of them were clumped together so had not been cooked with care - i even suspect they may have been frozen.
I ordered scallops which came with a smoked pattie sausage and pea and mint puree. This was ok but the puree was over sweet and the patties were tasteless. There were 3 scallops but they were more queenie size so 3 was pretty mean.
I ordered mussels for a main - these were in a cream sauce which tasted of nothing - i didn't bother eating much of this dish. My husband ordered the steak and kidney pie - this looked like a school dinner version with a slab of soggy pastry and not much steak versus kidney. He too left most of his. We also ordered chips which were soggy.
The website for this place claims to have a in-house butcher and to have fresh fish daily but i find it very hard to believe that there isn't a 3663 lorry delivering most of the stuff.
Very disappointing given the hype.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Jools,
After reading your review, I have to say I am a little dissapointed at your comments.
We are a typical Cornish pub set in beautiful countryside, serving good honest, homemade food, we grow our own fruit, vegetables, and herbs, and yes we have our own in-house butcher who carfeully prepares our meat.
We do not pretend to be a 'gastro' pub or any kind of fine dining restaurant, we simply use the highest quality Cornish ingredients, sourced from local suppliers. We are surrounded by an abundance of meat and fish suppliers who source the best possible produce and therefore we have no intention of ever using 3663 for this, why would we? We have the best local produce on our doorstep!.
Your whitebait starter is slightly different to the usual smaller size, ours is breaded and slightly larger, and as we serve over 300 meals per day, yes it is purchased from a cornish frozen supplier, it would be an extremely lengthy task to prepare hundreds of miniature whitebait to order!
The scallops that you mention are a starter portion, so 3/4 scallops would be a perfect amount combined with the Cornish hogs pudding and minted pea puree, if this portion was any bigger I'm sure you would struggle to finish your main meal.
Our Mussels are bought locally from Fowey and are cooked in a mild white wine, cream, garlic and parsley sauce, this is not intended to be a strong overpowering taste as this would ruin the delicate flavour of the Mussels.
Our steak and Kidney pie is a firm favourite, and is what we call 'a proper pie', it is made in a large dish with a suet pastry topping.
We decided not to head down the route of meat and gravy served in a dish with a puff pastry lid on top, this is not real homecooked food.
I hope this has given you a better understanding of the type of food served here at the Polgooth.
Thank you for your time.
Basingstoke
“Couldn't fault anything and will be back again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This was our first visit, and we were not disappointed. The atmosphere when you walked into the bar (as a stranger) was warm and inviting. Staff were naturally very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Even my Doberman was given special attention and treats (which of course he loved). Food was cooked to order, of an adequate portion size and above all tasty. Both had the steak and kidney pie which was delicious. I would also recommend one of the puds although I think I will need to complete another long run just to work off the calories! We have already booked a table for a return visit as we were so impressed. Thank you to Tanya, Alex and the team.

Polgooth-Inn, Manager at Polgooth Inn, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind review, I have to say it was a pleasure to serve you both ( and your gorgeous dog.)
Our pies are a firm favourite and Im glad you were able to find room for a tasty dessert afterwards.
We look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Truro, England, United Kingdom
“First Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was our first visit to the Polgooth Pub, near St Austell. We were there for lunch. We had very attentive and helpful friendly staff. There were 3 of us, my wife had squid, my mother in law rump steak and I had the pork pie. All were superb, the squid a good size and excellently cooked, the steak just right for mother in law and the pork pie a treat and a pleasure. Staff friendly through out and the fact that it was busy says it all. All very good quality. We will be going back soon!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Polgooth-Inn, Manager at Polgooth Inn, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review, our Squid and Pork Pies are all hand prepared and are extremely popular, Im so pleased you enjoyed your lunch and have passed your comments on to the chefs also.
We look forward to seeing you again on your 2nd visit.
Many Thanks
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Returned here after a few years and was not disappointed. I had BBQ Belly Pork and my companion had seared garlic scallops and crouton salad. Both were superb!! The service was great, atmosphere just right and the puddings are to die for. It was very busy even early evening so please book if you can. I definitely won't leave it so long before returning again now.

Polgooth-Inn, Manager at Polgooth Inn, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
This review was wonderful to read, thank you so much!
The BBQ pork belly and Scallop salad are new additions to our summer menu, so we are extremely pleased you enjoyed your meals.
Im glad you saved a little bit of room for a tasty dessert, and am glad this finished your meal off nicley.
We look forward to seeing you again soon, and maybe sample some more of our summer dlshes.