“A piece of old Cornwall preserved” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, British, English, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Award winning cosy Cornish pub situated in a beautiful valley near St Austell and the Eden Project serving great food, wine,ale, and coffee.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“A piece of old Cornwall preserved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Making a trip back to one of my old haunts of the sixties, I was somewhat apprehensive that the Polgooth Inn might not be as I remembered and loved it. But as I drove towards it, I heaved a sigh of relief. It looked exactly the same. Although the car park has been smartened up now with a tarmac surface instead of gravel and the garden has been paved, the inn still had its old Cornish charm inside and out. A friendly welcome, a chat with some locals and a good pub lunch fuelled my nostalgia. Some things had changed though – I remember there used to be guinea fowl running around the garden. I mentioned this to one of the staff, who replied “Now they’re only on the menu!” My only disappointment was that the inn no longer serves Cornish pasties! Well worth a visit if you’re looking for a Cornish pub atmosphere at its best. It’s tucked away off the St Austell/Mevagissey road – take a right at London Apprentice.

• Visited September 2012

Watford
“Really nice food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The traditional steak and chips with all the trimmings was really good, and the Cornish blue topped it off well. My partner had the stew which was great too. We went on a quiet Sunday evening but the atmosphere was still good.

Visited February 2013
United Kingdom
“COSY WELCOMING ATMOSPHERE - REALLY DELICIOUS FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Very welcoming staff and cosy atmosphere - delicious cuisine - the starters of hand cut squid was just tooooo delicious as was my partner's starter of mussels. We opted for a fish special of the day as mains and we were not disappointed. All round a lovely evening - we will definitely be returning - we highly recommend! Book early as is very popular!

• Visited February 2013
Cornwall England
“Great pub will go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Would like to say how I visited the pub to find lovely new carpets and snug area which I think is great with its fixed seating and mixed with the traditional slate floors and really must say the service was fantastic would highly recommend and will definitely be going back

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great pub, lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We live locally as this is our favourite pub to go too. Staff are always friendly and great food. The homemade burgers are to die for.

• 4 of 5 stars Food