“A relaxing break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate

You added The Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate to your Saves list
The Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pentewan Road | Tregorrick, St Austell PL26 7AB, England   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in St Austell
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“A relaxing break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Having previously stayed at The Bedruthan Steps when our children were younger we decided to give The Cornwall a try. The rooms were nicely furnished and the staff very helpful. We made full use of the spa facilities using both the pool and gym which was very well equipped for a hotel. The food was nice if a little overpriced in the a la carte restaurant. The Acorn Brasserie lovely and more reasonable. The only criticism I would have is that there was no hair dryer in the room and none available on asking at reception. Also the mattress on the sofa bed was uncomfortable, the springs pressing through, would recommend a family room if you have children so they get proper beds. Will definitely stay again and will recommend to friends.

Room Tip: If you have children book a family room so they get proper beds - the mattresses on the sofa beds ar...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
James H, General Manager at The Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you for your reveiw.

I was very pleased to read how your stay was an enjoyable one. However, I was disappointed to read how there wasn't a hairdryer in the room. I can confirm that hairdryers are standard in all rooms, and can either presume that a previous guest may have removed it (although it should be checked by our Housekeeping team), or, as happens on occasion, it was difficult to find - they tend to be located in the drawers next to the bed. Albeit, I will ask our Executive Housekeeper to make a check of all rooms to ensure that a hairdryer is present.

I was also sorry to read of the sofa bed. As these sofa beds are less than 2 years old and are used only a few times a year, they will of been used a few times. I will, again, ask our Executive Housekeeper to check the sofas, as this sounds like something we may need to take up with manufacturer.

Never-the-less, I am very grateful for you taking the time to post a review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

James Hemming

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

What a fantastic time we had at this place. The rooms were great the beds were so comfortable. The fine dinning restaurant that we paid £35 per person for was out of this world. The service was A* and the food was amazing. The Spa was nice but the Jacuzzi was cold. The two highlights to our romantic stay was Breakfast which was also amazing. So much choice and all included in the price. Secondly I had the best massage ever after that wonderful breakfast which made my stay even more memorable. I have and will recommend this Spa to ALL of my family and friends and im even thing about returning very soon. In total I paid £135 for dinner bed and breakfast for 2 people which is fantastic value notwithstanding the free use of Spa facilities.

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay, i was particularly pleased to see that you feel the improvements we have made over the last few weeks to breakfast have paid off.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff, the staff in the spa will be specifically pleased.

Kindest regards,

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Just got back from a couple of nights stay and it was bliss, just what we needed! The room was clean and spacious. There was a problem with the TV on both days we were there; hope the problem isn't more permanent. The spa facilities and treatments were great. The pool was split between the lane swimmers and play area for kids and families, which works really well as each side didn't spoilt it for the other. Both restaurants had a good choice of menu and the food was exquisite, the drinks were a bit on the pricey side.
My only real disappointment was that I found not one or two but three hairs in my plate underneath the fish I was eating! (dare I say anymore!) Whilst the waitress apologised, no further apologies came forward in terms of a change in the bill or a small token as apologies, which was a real shame; as it really spoilt it for me that evening.

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read that overall your stay was a very good one, however, I am shocked that your complaint regarding your fish dish was not dealt with more appropriately. Please rest assured I will be carrying out a full investigation to establish, not only how this happened, by why it was not pounced upon as a major issue. We pride ourselves in the quality of our food, as well as our customer service, and it would appear that we failed on both counts on this occasion. For which I am very sorry.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Kindest regards,

Liskeard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We took advantage of a 'Winter Warmer' 2 night break. It represented fabulous value. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a view of the parkland. The food was delicious and the service was charming. The pool was a good size. It would be nice to to go again later in the year to get the benefit of the landscaping. Obviously the garden had its winter coat on.

Room Tip: You would not want to be in a room on the lower level behind the hotel as I do not think you would h...
Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you had a good stay with us. You're right; the estate had its winter coat on, plus with only 2 summers under its belt the grounds are still developing. However, we have some excellent species of plants and a number of Arboretum quality trees (hence the name of our fine-dining restaurant), which hold their own even over the winter. Next time you are with us, let me know and I shall arrange for our Head Gardener to give you a tour of the grounds, he'd be delighted to show them off to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

The welcome was friendly but very over bearing (we were bombarded with intructions and left slightly dazed). Our deluxe room was a good size but otherwise a typical hotel room. However a bargin for only £75 b&b! We had dinner in The Arbortium. Whilst the lamb was delicious the meal overall was not really up to the standard to be expected for the price charged. The wine list was expensive and mostly only available by the full bottle - not easy if only one of you drinks wine!
The Spa staff were all very friendly/helpful and the changing rooms very clean. I had a wonderfully relaxing massage. Wished we had time to enjoy the lovely looking pool or try the gym and wouldn't rule out returning to do so.
We would recommend staying there to make the most of the Spa rather than for a gastronomic experience. We enjoyed our stay but were slightly dissapointed as the reviews we had read on here prior to booking had led us to expect better than we experienced overall.

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that we were unable to acheive your expectation on this occasion. I can understand that having read recent reviews on this site, plus laterooms etc you would be expecting a faultless stay - naturally this is our aim on each guests' stay. However we have clearly failed on this occasion.

I was suprised that you felt your room was typical of a hotel bedroom, we strongly believe that the spacious balconies, coupled with the 30sqm bedroom which 50% larger than an average bedroom (which I appreciate you have noticed), make the rooms anything other than typical. However, we clearly need to make more of them.

We are in the process of changing our wine list, which should (If we are able to agree on stockholding figures) give us a wine list with possibly the largest selection of wines in a hotel in Cornwall. Unfortunately we have needed to run our stocks down to facilitate this change.

Once again thank you for your feedback. I am grateful for you taking the time to relay your comments.

Kinest regards,

Bournemouth, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Driving up the drive it was impressive; checking in friendly; bedroom immaculate; clean modern bathroom; lovely view of extensive grounds from balcony; main restaurant "Cordon Bleu" standard with exceptional service; second night similar food and really good value in smaller restaurant. fresh hot full breakfast. Undoubtedly one of the best hotels I have ever stayer in and incredible value. Spa was brilliant also

Room Tip: Modern rooms at rear are brilliant
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.

The team and I are delighted that you had such a wonderful experience. Naturally, I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the staff, to demonstrate the fruits of their labour.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

St Austell
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

My partner and I have eaten here on many occasions when Tom Bradbury was Head Chef and we decided to come and try the food of the highly advertised Brett. As always we had a nice warm welcome at reception from a lovely blonde lady. We had a drink in the bar which we thought was a bit pricey. A woman with short dark hair came through and told us that our table was ready so we walked through in to the restaurant and we were seated at a table tucked away in the corner. As there was only 2 other couples in the restaurant i asked if we could sit at a different table which the waitress replied "NO" and then walked off. My partner decided to have a glass of wine when the waitress came over my partner asked if the chardonnay was oaked to which the waitress said "let me find out" 10 minutes later she returned to say "no its not old, its a 2010 vintage". Anyway, the food came out and what can i say, the taste of every dish was mesmerising and well worth the money. Overall i think the food was very good but the staff need some training.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I appreciate your comments regarding Staff Training. This is an area of development we have worked on very hard over the last few months, and whilst we have made a huge difference, there is clearly some way to go. I will discuss your comments with our senior team and will ensure that we learn from the experience.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

James Hemming

Been to The Cornwall Hotel Spa and Estate? Share your experiences!