“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 107 Restaurants in St Austell
Cuisines: English, Seafood, British
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We came here to celebrate my mums birthday on a quiet Sunday evening. The restaurant itself looks good and is laid out nicely. The food was what let it down. Food would either be overcooked or not cooked enough. I had pork for my main dish and for what is was it seemed very overpriced due to being overloaded with vegetables and lacking in meat. This was all a bit of a shame, as I only live 5 mins up the road I would probably have returned had I enjoyed the food.

“lovely location & staff but.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

after a 3 hours drive from home to Charlestown; we decided that Wreckers looked the best out of the choice in Charlestown; oh how we were wrong...the service was incredibly slow...there were NO draught beers (reading other reviews here there weren't any in January either...so not sure how long this has gone on for!) As a driver I had Orange Juice & Lemonade the lemonade couldn't have been any flatter - but as we are not people to complain carried on without comment but...
Our main course eventually came out after us being there for almost an hour (they weren't busy there was only about 8 of us in) the vegetables looked pretty raw not even dente but what was worse was that my cod was freezing cold and not even cooked so it was returned - meanwhile my husband ate his main and finished when mine arrived back...it looked much better, however was not hot and as Iflaked my fork through the fillet i got towards the end of the fillet yet again it was raw!
I found a staff member who was very apologetic and offered me something else...sadly this had left a bad taste in my mouth and I didn't fancy eating there at all sadly. We requested the bill; there was only 1 main course on it which was fine but no recompense for poor food...so we requested that our 3 drink were taken off (total of £7)
We were firstly told no as apparently the 2nd piece of fish I returned was cooked...when we explained we were both keen fishermen and had cooked and eaten a lot of fish over the years and it defo wasn't all cooked we were given a discount of £7.00.
The staff are extremely pleasant and friendly although service was far to slow and the location is stunning...sadly the food was not

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cornwall
“Freezing cold”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have eaten here twice in recent weeks.On each occasion, the meals delivered were not as described on the menu.On the first occasion the "sun blush tomatoes" we're sliced,tasteless ordinary tomatoes, and there was barely any Parma ham ,just lots and lots of Rocket!!The bread was however lovely and fresh.
On the second visit, no French bread was serve as listed on the menu,,just lots of slices of crostini.
Would also comment that on both visits it was cold.On Saturday it was so cold,I mentioned it to the waitress, and her comment was " oh I know",and that was it!!!!
Don't think we'll be returning any time soon!!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Solihull
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We just called in for a snack - a very cheerful and helpful server. A jug of water came with a smile. Excellent fish cakes(cos & salmon) and goats cheese , although scones were a little doughy.

Worth a visit.

Sadly, the nearby Heritage & Wreck Centre was closed (out of season).

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wiltshire
“Reasonably priced meal but service could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked for Saturday evening, on arrival the restaurant was not full but had a good atmosphere. This is my second visit, the previous being a couple of years ago in August. We found the menu to be reasonably priced with a few 'specials' on the board. Servicve overall was satisfactory but once we had finished it was a bit of a nightmare trying to attract attention to get the bill. Just thought the waiting staff could be a bit more aware of all tables. I would try again the next time I am in this part of the country.

Visited February 2013