“Lovely place for lunch on a sunny day, sit outside and take your time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wreckers

Wreckers
The Old Boatshed | Charlestown Harbour, St Austell PL25 3NJ, England
01726 879053
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 107 Restaurants in St Austell
Cuisines: English, Seafood, British
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Lovely place for lunch on a sunny day, sit outside and take your time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Sharon took us to Charlestown for the regatta and we had fun watching the goings on despite most definitely not being part of the local sailing set. It was a lovely sunny day and we looked for somewhere to sit outside to have some lunch. We stumbled upon Wreckers, and it had room to sit outside with a view of the harbour and a menu that we liked the look of. We chose a variety of sandwiches and decided to share a bowl of chips. When it arrived the granary bread was thickly cut, fresh and looked and tasted home baked. The sandwiches were stuffed with filling and the consitituents were obviously great quality and very fresh. The sandwiches together with the chips were an absolute pleasure to eat, sitting out in the sunshine in the summer ambience of Charlestown. Liz had a smoothie which she really enjoyed, Sharon had a pint of Rattler (a local cider of abv 6%!), and I had a superb giner beer which went really well with the mature cheddar and srumpy apple chutney in my sandwich.
I had a white Americano coffee to finsh it off. Service was efficient and freindly and despite the fact we took our time we felt under no pressure to hurry. The cakes looked excellent too but we didn't have room!
I paid about £30 for the three of us - not cheap but it was a quality experience and worth every penny, we had a lovely time and I would definitely go back.
I hope you find my comments helpful

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Good restaurant but seriously mismanaged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We have eaten here about a dozen times over the last few years and generally its been good. However, on Saturday evening (2nd July) we arrived for our 8pm booking and quickly got a sense that things were not running smoothly (e.g. people walking up to the cash desk to pay their bill, lots of tables without any food etc). The place was probably 70% full but the waitress didn't arrive to take our drinks order until we flagged her down about half an hour later. I tried to order our food at the same time but was told that she "wasn't allowed to take any food orders". The waitress was evidently harassed by having been through this with other dinners previously but she was adamant that she was under strict instructions not to take any food orders. It was now 8.45 and I was concerned about whether we were going to get any food as there are few other options in the area at that time of night. The manageress was called and said that they were serving food but were only taking orders one at a time and that it wasn't our turn. I tried to get to the bottom of this with her, suggesting that the kitchen may have been busy but could we get our order in the queue for when they could deal with it. Bizarrely she refused this reasonable request even though the waiting staff were not busy. She patronisingly 'explained' that this was how they always ran the restaurant (not true) and implied that I was being difficult. I resigned myself to a long wait and asked for some bread to fill the gap. She said that would be a food order and that we needed to wait our turn before placing a food order. Ridiculous but I remained polite as we were starving and at their mercy. Our white wine turned up and it wasn't chilled. I asked for a cold one and was told that it had been in the fridge all day. At this point we'd had enough of the farce and walked home hungry. We really felt for the waitress having to try to implement this odd regime but the manageress (and her condescending attitude) is really doing a diservice to the reputation of a good restaurant. If we had simply been advised that they had a bit of a wait on food but offered us some bread in the meantime it would have been fine, but her approach was ludicrous. I have since heard of similar events happening with other friends and can only hope that the owners sort this out before the damage to their reputation gets out of hand

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
cornwall
“Good fish - room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

This place sources good ingredients including fresh local fish which is cooked well. The chef needs to do some thinking about use of vegetables which where undercooked and bland. Service was friendly though lacked efficiency. Good building and surroundings. Good choice of wines. For the price which is middle of the road not bad and worth going back.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Food was Ok but not worth money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011 via mobile

Food was ok Not worth money, I went there full of a good expectations after reading reviews and also recomended, but didn't for fill, excellent location by harbour but that's about it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Fresh fish, rustic charm, by the sea.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Mainly fish as befits a restaurant overlooking the harbour. Simple rustic decor (an old boatshed), simple menu, very fresh fish. Service is friendly but a little disorganised at times, we waited ages before being asked if we would like a drink. However the food (and that is why I go to a restaurant) was excellent.

• Visited June 2011