“Visiting the Eden Project” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
10% DISCOUNT OFF ROOMS
Ranked #46 of 98 St Austell B&B and Inns
Marnhull, Dorset
“Visiting the Eden Project”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had a very pleasant stay with Ray and his wife in their centrally situated house for the Eden Project and The Gardens of Heligan. My room with en suite was most comfortable though the decor could have been a little lighter in colour but still keeping the nautical theme. Ray was a genial host and one couldn't fault the breakfast which catered for every taste.
A happy visit in glorious sunshine.
Judy Fyfe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
high wycombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

A real find here, house of character, equalled by the host. So much history (and humour) in both,
gently released, we needed more time to enjoy & appreciate it --- don't miss the perfectly boiled egg, 3mins: perfection!

Room Tip: The Nursery was delightful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ericthehalfbee, Public Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, particularly those related to the eggs! I must confess that I find boiled eggs a problem. Apparently, Prince Charles has a selection of 6 eggs prepared with different boiling times so the "perfect soft-boiled breakfast egg " is amongst them; I regret I cannot duplicate this service!
I normally show the egg to the guest and ask how long they'd like it boiled for [passing the egg buck] and it's 90% successful.
Thanks again.
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was a late booking...made on my train journey down from Paddington to St Austell. Ray was not phased by my late arrival (11.45ish p.m.) and both he and Blue greeted me warmly.

Ray good humouredly showed me my room and an assortment of paintings in the room; then the kettle went on! cafe at midnight...I don't normally drink caffeine at that hour but it was so comforting to hear the kettle-on, I did. I even got my wi-fi sorted...all before bed.

Delicious breakfast next morning almost rounded off my comfortable stay.... I had a new job induction and Ray kindly let me leave my luggage behind until my return at the end of the day.
Ray gave me some good tips on computer ink....and I heard Bat Your Lashes for the first time...lovely voice....at least I hope I remembered that ok?
A memorable stay...thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ericthehalfbee, Public Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We always try to help regarding guests' arrival times. If we are in and awake when folk arrive, we try to be helpful! Thanks for your kind comments.
Kloof, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was a last minute booking and I didn't know much about the place before arriving but what a gem this B&B is !

The owner cooks a mean breakfast in the morning and you can wash it down it a perfect cup of tea over an amazingly in-depth conversation with inspiring amounts of local knowledge not to mention his quirky personality makes just staying around the B&B fun.

The rooms are as clean as I have ever seen, bathrooms were sparkling everything was above standard.

They go out of their way to go that extra mile and give it that really homely feel.

If I ever have the chance to refer anyone to stay in the area I would certainly point them here first.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Ericthehalfbee, Guest Relations Manager at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
I don't normally function too well in the mornings, at least, that's what I thought! As I recall, though, we sorted out all the problems of the world before 9am!
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Wow, what a find. Accomodation is spacious, scrupulously clean and absolutely loaded with character. We were made to feel very welcome by Ray, his wife and Blue. We stayed in 'The Nursery' which was roomy, comfortable, and thoughtfully furnished. Breakfast was plentiful and included slices of 'real potato', free range eggs and homemade bread - lovely.
Unfortunately we were on a flying visit to Cornwall so only stayed the one night, but we would have loved to have stayed longer.
Thanks Ray we really enjoyed our stay with you in your beautiful home.
Diane, Bob & Ewan Dog

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ericthehalfbee, Owner at Sedgemoor Heights, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your short stay. Since your visit, The Nursery has had a total make-over. It's still big, but there are lots of changes; new wall-paper, new beds, furniture, toilet, sink, carpet, etc, etc ...even a new [well, reclaimed] Victorian door for the ensuite. I hope you return to enjoy the improvements.
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We chose to stay at Sedgemoor by chance, but it has been a truly amazing experience. Great owner with a great house full of wonderful collections such as paintings, souvenirs and other collectable items. We like Blue (the border collie) so much and really enjoyed her little game of hidden toy. When you enjoy your breakfast, don't forget to ask about the story of the doll at corner of the dining room. Will definately come back if we visit Cornwall again! I will tell my friends in China about this great B&B.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room, which is great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

In short: great - if I am in Cornwall I will come again.

After a very difficult day of an 80 mile cycle trip, I was exhausted but I felt instantly welcome. I am glad I chose to come to Sedgemoor Heights.

The accommodation was fine in itself - very clean room, comfy bed, clean and functional bathroom and nicely chosen bits of decor.

However, when the owner is someone you would happily spend evenings down the pub with, you know you are onto a winner. Ray was polite, friendly and erudite. The best B&B owner I've had the pleasure of staying with. I would happily return for another visit if I was to be in that part of the world again.

Please do ask to listen to the record collection. Audiophiles will LOVE this place.

Obligatory criticism: I only got one slice of toast in the morning because the bread ran out when my cycling partner ate the rest. Breakfast was otherwise very good.

As for the need for matching towels - DILLIGAF? Give me a charming host any day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sedgemoor Heights? Share your experiences!