“What a great B&B” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 98 St Austell B&B and Inns
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“What a great B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

OK, so there are a couple of bad reviews against this hotel, but please, if you are thinking of stopping here, don't hesitate. The best thing about this hotel is the service. The fact that a couple of people said that their service was bad baffles me completely. Before we even got there James (the owner) was giving us good service.....I'll explain...James was due to go out for an hour on the day we were due to arrive, so he called us to let us know and to find out whether that would affect us. Now I have never had a B&B call me to let me know they wouldn't be there for a while - massive tick!! We weren't due to get there until around 10:30pm, but James arranged that no matter what time we got there, we would be able to check in ok - huge pressure taken off us at that point! First impressions of the room = it smelt lovely!! Second impression = small. We were not in the main building so can't comment on the main rooms. The room we were in was very clean and was decorated to a high standard. It was modern, welcoming and the bed was comfy. When we went to breakfast the next morning, James was extremely hospitable. The food was really good (We both stop away a lot with work and have eaten in many places -all I will say is that we looked forward to breakfast the next morning!) James went over and above to help us out with local attractions, restaurants, places to go. We couldn't ask for more! In summary, we had a lovely break, in a modern B&B that made us feel welcomed, that served great food and has a great owner. Would definately recommend and would definately stay there again. Hope this review helps.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
benjiecornwall, Owner at Sunnycroft, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Many thank yous for your kind review it is very much appreciated we hope to see you again in the future take care best wishes Sunnycroft.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Niagara Falls, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

After a very long trip my husband and I were looking forward to retiring at Sunnycroft, we had travelled from York and after booking our stay online (an impressive website which made the place look very swish) we were looking forward to our stay.
Now, I have to add that my husband and I have stayed in some very nice b&b's and have had excellent service, unfortunately this was not one of those occasions!
On arriving we were disapointed to find that the place was situated next to a very busy noisy road, not really what we had wanted for a peaceful stay.
We knocked on the front door to find no answer, there was a crumpled piece of paper sellotaped to the top of the door which read something along the lines of "if no answer please phone this number". I assumed that maybe they don't always hear the door. On ringing the number I was greeted by a very rude man who I can only assume was the proprieter he demanded to know who I was and what I wanted. He then went on to say that he was busy and no one was home and that we would have to let ourselves in! We were gobsmacked, not the welcome we wanted after our long trip.
Now I don't want to disclose too much information about how we were told to gain access to the property as it was highly easy and I feel it would put the place at risk, this was another thing that worried me about the place, I mean anyone off the street could easily let themselves in.
Once entering, the place was very well decorated, clean and tidy, I have to say it was very well presented.
The rude gentleman on the phone then instructed us that our room was at the top of the stairs on the left hand side and that the key was in the door waiting for us.
We ventured upstairs to find that there were infact two rooms on the left both with keys in! After the abrupt manner of the man on the phone I didn't want to trouble him and phone back to check what the room number was. We let ourselves into both rooms hoping that there might be a clue as to which was ours.
The rooms were small and the beds were far to large for the room but again were clean and well decorated.
At this point my husband and I decided that it may be best to go down stairs and simply wait for the owners to return, we felt very uncomfortable about the whole situation. After 45 minutes wait some more guests arrived and went through the whole rigmorale that we had an hour before. It was at this point we decided that we didn't want to stay in a place which had such poor customer service and left straight away.
Overall a very bad experience, we were gutted that we had paid our 50% deposit. I think it is terrible that the place is left unmanned when guests are due to arrive. I obviously cannot comment on the food and the comfort of the bed etc as we didn't actually stay.
I have noticed that there is another bad review on here and the owners have written a comment saying that they didn't actually stay there, To me it is clear from the descriptions that they clearly did stay there. I assume they will probably do the same to this review, don't believe it! And don't stay there!

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
benjiecornwall, Manager at Sunnycroft, responded to this review, June 14, 2010
Firstly upon reading this review is very upsetting as we did in deed have a guest who booked through a booking company not ourselves for a one night stay who firstly through the terms and conditions of the booking company pay a 50% deposit. which when taken was declined, upon contacting the guest had confirmed insufficient funds in her account however this was rectified within a couple of days.
She booked one of our small double/single rooms which are clearly written on all our advertising where we clearly confirm that the room is better suited for single occupancy however we will accept two persons upon the knowledge of this information.
When this guest arrived we were servicing our apartment they had arrived before our arrival time of 3.30pm which again is stipulated on all correspondence however we have a safe security system for the benefit of early arrivals so guest can access them into the bed and breakfast.
The guest was informed politely of our where abouts and given instructions to enter into the bed and breakfast and the room allocated to her, she was also informed that we would be approxely 20 minutes but to make themselves comfortable.
We did have another guest also arrive early but they came to the bed and breakfast in error as they were staying in one of our apartments and were quite happy for us to return to give them detailed information how to get to the apartment they informed us that another couple came out of the front door and said they were fine.
Unfortunately we were unaware the guest had decided not to stay until the next morning as when we arrived back my husband went to greet them but their was no answer so we presumed they had gone out. It was only realizing they had not come down for breakfast that we were worried and went up to their room to find know one there.
We think they were very rude not even to inform us they did not want to stay was appalling yes we are near a busy road as we are central St.Austell anyone goggling us will clearly see our location and we would advise anyone booking with us through different websites and have specific needs especially if they prefer a quite location we would not be suitable.
We pride ourselves in honesty and most importantly our guest’s satisfaction and have never been rude to any of our guest we feel this review is very misconstrued and the facts are not grounded.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Well we did stay in the best room which had a fantastic bed. Lovely and clean. Cracking breakfast really set you up well. Good location for visiting the whole of Cornwall. We booked last minute (owing to Volcanic Ash) even open at 10pm when we arrived.
Excellent

Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

Friendly welcome.
Guest House situated on a main busy road. We had a room facing the road, but traffic noise during the evening was minimal, and not disturbing.
Stayed here for 3 nights. Room was clean, bed very comfortable, light and airy.
Breakfast consisted of cereals, fresh fruit, and indivually freshly cooked breakfast, with a good choice.
Service very good, quality and quantity breakfast very good.
Would thoughly recommend this guest house for a short or long stay. Within walking distance of main shopping area.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

Lovely hotel! Lovely owners contempory room (room 3) as its at the side, lovely brekkie very pleased. will be back!

aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

I have just been reading the reviews on Sunnycroft and was shocked to see an adverse review on the Guest house I wasn’t sure if I had stayed at the same property

as my view is with the positive reviews written.

Sunnycroft is a little gem the proprietors are just fantastic they went out of their way to make my wife and I stay wonderful, recommendations of fantastic restaurants one night we dined at Wreckers

Situated on the lovely port of Charlestown and we treated ourselves on our last night at the two rosette restaurant Austell’s.

Sunnycroft is within easy reach of the town making an ideal location for local amenities railway and bus station for those who decide to travel via our great British transport and within easy reach to The Eden Project and Lost Gardens of Heligan.

The quality of the furnishings are not of budget but of class and detail our room had a lovely 5ft king size leather bed together with funky bedside tables and dressing table plus a writing desk which was an added plus for working on my laptop oh yes they have free wifi too. Thick luxury curtains, Egyptian cotton bedding, chocolates waiting on your bed on your arrival and many more little touches that make your stay special.

The breakfast is served in their conservatory with a fantastic choice to choose from and starter buffet laid out with cereals, fresh fruits, natural yogurts, fruit juices and more.

They also provide a snug lounge especially for guest use which we found very convenient when waiting for taxis etc made a nice meeting point instead of having to wait in your room.

The overall ambience at Sunny croft is one of not been rushed, courteous, caring and stylish I have travelled for many years and seldom come across to find a little gem like this and highly recommend my findings for anyone that is heading down the St.Austell area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Just recently stayed at Sunnycroft and I just wanted to say how wonderful it was the owners went out of their way for us in choosing restaurants, places to visit they were great.

The accommodation was very stylish with all the little extras of chocolates, speciality teas, mineral water bathrobes as well as your normal tea/coffee tray.

Sunnycroft is situated in a central part just outside of the main town centre but within easy reach to the town main rail and bus station making it an ideal location for commuting.

Also within a stone throw of both the Eden Project and Heligan gardens and costal local beaches.

I can highly recommend this establishment for it’s courtesy of owners and high class furnishings and its location.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
benjiecornwall, Owner at Sunnycroft, responded to this review, July 30, 2010

Been to Sunnycroft? Share your experiences!