“Very homely, but not very clean.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Penkerris

Penkerris
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Agnes
Penkerris
You added Penkerris to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Penwinnick Rd | Cornwall, St Agnes TR5 0PA, England   |
Ranked #8 of 13 St Agnes B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Very homely, but not very clean.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The pictures on the website are a very accurate account of the B&B – the furnishings are out-dated and in places falling apart, although the owner Dorothy was incredibly hospitable and the atmosphere very homely. This was all as we anticipated, however we were not expecting the lack of cleanliness. The carpet was extremely dirty in our room, so bad that I didn’t even want to walk on it in bare foot! Despite booking an en-suite we were put in room with a shared bathroom, not a massive issue as the shared shower and bathrooms were clean and tidy. Breakfast was adequate but not amazing. However I wouldn’t recommend this B&B, despite the owner being lovely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorothy G, Owner at Penkerris, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
I was so sad and puzzled to read this review. I always give an en-suite booking an en-suite room but if an en-suite room is NOT available, I will offer them a standard room and this is often accepted. According to my records, this was the case. I am so sorry, amazed even horrified that the carpet was dirty (we could easily have addressed this immediately if we had been told!) But how could this be ? It was an incomprehensible puzzle but I think I now understand what must have happened, Some of my standard rooms ( particularly room 6 with the little kitchenette in it )and are frequently booked (cheaply) for several weeks at a time by guests who don't wish to be disturbed. They request that the room should NOT be service as they want to work, write etc. My staff get used to NOT cleaning such rooms.!I had a room let like this to such a guest until mid-August.Obviously this room should then have been blitzed clean ! I feel sure I would have told told my staff to do this but I fear it probably NOT done and whats more they may even have thought that, as usual, the room should NOT be serviced. I am so sorry.
We have just all the carpets in the house shampooed with professional carpet cleaners and the rooms deep cleaned.
We offer such good value for money (these guests only paid £25.00 per night including breakfast) I have an extensive breakfast menu and most guests thank me for a delicious meal and a lovely stay. I am so very, very sorry that these particular guests were displeased.

Dorothy Gill-Carey
owner

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Burbage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed with Dorothy and her team for two nights. Nothing was too much trouble. We even took the dog! There were kittens in the house at the time of our visit. Breakfasts were everything we wanted. The rooms are alittle cluttered. You really do get the sense that Penkerris is Dorothy's home and you are staying there. It all just adds to the charm of your stay. Dorothy owns a beach hut at the local beach, which she let us use for our 2 day stay. It's amazing and really added to our stay, (somewhere to leave the dog while we bodyboarded). Dorothy has a wealth of beach toys available for guests to use and also a well stocked leaflet display on things to do in the local area. The house has a lawned garden with seating for guests too. I would stay here again and recommend Dorothy & her team to everyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week in this delightful ivy clad bed and breakfast, nothing is too much trouble for Dorothy and her team, en-suite rooms have everything you need and the seperate bathrooms and shower room are an added bonus. Breakfast offers a large choice of cereals,fruit, yogurts and the full English breakfast, added bonus is you can use your accomadation and garden throughout the day. Fantastic value for money. Plan to book again for couple nights next year before a week camping.

• Stayed July 2013
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Me and my partner both come from the Netherlands and have returned to Cornwall many times for the holidays.
This time it was the sixth time I myself stayed at Penkerris. The house is a fairytale house, situated in the lovely village St Agnes. The house has a lawn on which you can play badminton and other sportgames. Both adults and children love to sit or play games in that wonderful garden. On the beach of St Agnes, Dorothy owns a big beachhut, which you can use for changing into your bathing clothes and get a surfboard or simply sit in a chair and enjoy the spectacular vieuw. Dorothy is a very warm and welcoming person, she will do everything to make her quests feel comfortable.
We can very much recommend staying at Penkerris, also in spring or autumn. We have had different rooms every stay, they all are very good.
L. Scheeres & S. de Jong

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with Dorothy for two night and was catapulted into the 50's my room was fashioned in the Queen Anne style. It was very reasonable and Dorothy was delightful suggesting numerous walks which were breathtaking. Breakfast was ample but simple. Overall central, friendly and value for Money.

• Stayed June 2013
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have just returned from 6 nights at Penkerris. When I booked our stay over the phone Dorothy exhorted me to phone her a few days before we went so that she could give us directions. These were duly given in great detail - I can't see how anyone could fail to find Penkerris!

Penkerris is located on the edge of St Agnes, but most of the village's amenities are within a few minutes walk. The house itself has a reasonable sized garden with benches and seats as well as some play equipment for the younger guests.

Breakfast offers a comprehensive choice of cereals, three choices of fruit juice, a full English and toast, not forgetting tea or coffee! The bread is fresh and local, the "brown" variety being a very nice variety that contains sunflower seeds.

Our en-suite bedroom was comfortable and clean, with an electric radiator had we needed it and a small colour television.

If you want to tour about Cornwall, St. Agnes is within an hours drive of Penzance, Bodmin and all points in between, with miles and miles of superb coastline to explore.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have just spent 4 very happy nights in PENKERRIS . such a freindly homely atmosphere ! we felt completely relaxed , nothing was too much trouble for Dorothy and her lovely staff
Breakfasts were wonderful with a huge choice of cereals ( I counted 18 boxes of different ones ) the full English set you up for the day ! + unlimited toast , yoghurt, tea ,coffee ect
the gardens were a joy with so many birds busy feeding their babies in various nests in the chimney pots .
highly recommended , you won't do better !!! beds clean and comfy , we would certainly go there again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Penkerris? Share your experiences!