“Sunday Lunch Carvery....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Smugglers Inn

The Smugglers Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seaton
The Smugglers Inn
You added The Smugglers Inn to your Saves list
Seaton PL11 3JD , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Seaton B&B and Inns
maidstone
“Sunday Lunch Carvery....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Well today we happened on the Smugglers Inn..... in Seaton, East of looe...I remember stopping for a pit stop beer some years ago...so to say i have no recollection of the pub is fair...but anyway
to cut to the chase....the food and the menu was very much what I expected...your traditional Sunday offerings ...The Starters very reasonably priced @ £3.25 todays offerings were Broccoli and Stilton Soup, Farm House Pate and Melba Toast, and a Traditional Prawn Cocktail...which in all honesty I fancied but didnt bother with ...because no one else wanted a starter so i just did the SHEEP thing and opted also for the Carvery....Which was a Top side of Beef and Pork Joint ok not a massive selection of meats...But in term of the Middle of the road sit down lunch...what more can i really expect for £7.50? so of course i had both meats, there was quite a selection of veg that was in a long hostess heated self server station, I had 3 yorkies, a scoop of carrots which were of the frozen variety, and some sprouts also which were frozen, and a heap of ruff cutt savoy cabbage and roast potatoes...the potatoes had clearly been deep fried prior to the roast, because the overall appearance was dark but on the whole.. quite edible....but to get back to the point when I sat down and viewed the plate after bathing it all in gravy which was nice ...it turned out to be quite a fair sized portion, Im a Sous Chef in a Taste of the west Gold award winning restaurant...so im always fussy...on first poke the beef looked pretty over cooked....and the pork looked unloved....but much to my surprise ate really well the beef was not pink at all but melted in the mouth? not sure how the Scottish Chef pulled that off must have been cooking it since yesterday :) and the pork which i would never normally eat out was also well cooked and nicely moist...I enjoyed it?! The deserts offered were Profiteroles, Trifle and......duh i forgot ....anyways we skipped desert because we all ate to much carvery :) ...... so to summarize .....Service was nice and straight forward...Drinks were fine but a little limited on the beers lots of reversed taps......and the meal was nice and it did indeed fill me up....this isnt fine dining nor is it anywhere near a gastro-pub status, it offers straight forward pub dining. The Chef is warm friendly and inviting, and the staff all nice, light hearted and helpful......If i have one final thought its this, declutter the restaurant, group the furniture and allow the pub / restaurant to be just that, with a little coordination, the space could be so much more improved. but on the whole...This was fair priced food which added to a nice local feel dining experience. Cheers Guys! we will stop by again...an enjoyable lunch was had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and wished it was longer. The staff are really friendly and helpful, rooms very clean and the food is excellent pub grub and a lot cheaper than the cafe over the road.It's right next to a lovely beach and easy driving distance to Looe and Plymouth. Don't expect a 5 star hotel but for an Inn on the beach it's very good value.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

we stayed in the smugglers inn we found it very welcoming the rooms were clean and tidy the ensuite was spotless the location was brilliant the only fault was the menu as it didnt change but that is a small thing we paid extra for breakfast and we werent disapointed the service and food was excellant we were told by the lovelly lady who cooked our breakfast that her daughter had recently bought the property and they are still learning what people want well we think there on the right road we will visit again and we will recommend it to our friends we used ut as a base to travel from

• Stayed September 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have just come back from staying at The Smugglers Inn cornwall and we cant see what the bad press is all about. We had a very warm welcome, the food was great especially the Sunday carvery (although, Brian the chief refused to give out his recipe for the port wine gravy which was out of this world). The room was clean and comfortable. The staff were always on hand for anything we required. The bar service and atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. And the breakfasts were more than well worth the money. We chose this Inn because we felt that it would give us the break we were after and it didnt fail us, and we hope to return again in the very near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
Redruth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My partner and I have visited this pub on countless occasions, we have friends and family who live in the area, and I can't get over how AWFUL this pub has become, it has changed management in the past few months and if I were them I'd be totally ashamed of myself for destroying such a great pub! The list of negatives I could write is endless, however I will say that the chef was the only positive thing about our weekend there, his hospitality, food and cheerful smile was the only thing that brightened up the place and he is probably the only thing apart from the other guests, that actually made it feel like a pub and not a dull and drab community centre. We stayed in the pub for one night and I was shocked on how the standards have dramatically fallen. When we first walked in we weren't greeted with a smile or any sense of happiness what so ever, the one member of bar staff that was actually there looked like they really didn't want to be which puts you off straight away. After getting the key to the room I went and had a look, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the carpet was filthy, the tea tray was sticky and stained and then I went into the en-suite which I wish I hadn't. I work in house keeping myself and if I had left a room in this sort of state I would be instantly sacked! The sink had dirt and hairs all over it, the shower was also covered in sand and hair along with the floor, and then I looked at the glass shelf above the sink which had two glasses for drinking from which I really wouldn't advise unless you want to catch something. There was sticky smear marks all over it with a white powder underneath one of the glasses. I have photos on my partners phone of all of this. We did say to a member of staff downstairs in the pub about the state of the room and they went straight up to "clean" it. The only change was a bit of the sand got washed down the shower plug hole. Anyway, we thought we would give them a chance and just put it down to being a bad day and we had a nice meal and started drinking with a couple of our friends from the area in the pub. Things just got worse, we were disgusted by the state of the cider on pump my partner couldn't drink it and the bar maid didn't really care at all and just carried on serving it. We went outside to get some air and sit down but even that's a challenge, some of the benches are broken with nails sticking out which is extremely dangerous especially in this sort of environment. It got to the point where we were made to feel that unwelcome that we went back up to our room by about half 9 ish, which is disappointing when we have come down to visit friends and family and have a nice time. The bar staff were rude, unhelpful and seem to not care about anything in the pub in the slightest they certainly don't seem to care about their guests. We did have plans to stay again but we actually had a nicer time on the beach and frankly it was a lot cleaner so we all camped out on the beach and had a fun round a fire. I really have not liked slating this pub as I have been so fond of it in the past, however I feel that people should not be treated the way we were, it's very sad to see this pub go so badly downhill. I could carry on writing about this all day but I am boring myself with all the negatives! Therefore, I would like to say to the owners and the majority of the staff in this pub that you should be totally ashamed and disappointed in yourselves for ruining such a great opportunity, let's just hope that this pub can actually recover in the future with people in it who genuinely care about it! ( highly doubt this will be read because of lack of caring!)

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jane w, Manager at The Smugglers Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Many thanks for your review of which i was half expecting, as i had already been informed that you were intending of making a complaint.
As we are all aware you have more than visited this pub on several occassions as your partner was the previous tenant of the pub, and I have been the new licensee since April 2012.
I have also been informed that this premises has been through approx 8 - 10 maybe more tenants in the past 3 years. Therefore going to show, that so far no one has been able to make a go of it.
If the pub was a thriving business when yourselves or anyone else had it in the past three years, then why has it gone through so many tenants.
Believe me, when we moved in there was definately no standards, we have blitzed the premises from top to bottom and have spent alot of money doing up the inside, including the bedrooms. There is still plenty more arrears that need addressing, but at the moment we are waiting for more funds to become available.
We do apologise that your room may not have been cleaned up to standards, but I was unable to attend the property on Saturday and therefore the checking process was missed.
We intend to continue at the business and therefore do not appreciate negative reviews that are only written out of jealousy.

Travelers are raving about these Seaton hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I visited this inn whilst staying at Mount Brioni self catering apartments. We had intended to have a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary, but the non-existent welcome put us off. The decor and layout resemble a transport cafe with the bar right down at the back. We stood and waited for 10 mins for someone to acknowledge us and the place was completely empty. I tried to find someone who might be interested in taking our money,to no avail. In the end we walked out and up the hill to find another restaurant. Incidentally, we discovered that on Sundays this pub does not serve food in the evening, only Sunday lunches. In fact, none of the local establishments in Seaton village serve meals on Sunday evening. The beach cafe does take away fish and chips as long as you get them by 5.30pm! Seaton is a pretty hamlet, but is sadly lacking in places to eat and be prepared to starve on Sunday if you like to eat in the evening. The Smugglers Inn seems to cater for the locals who hang around outside the front door puffing cigarettes and the smell is dreadful and very off-putting. I think it is under new management who have a long way to go. This inn is definitely an opportunity gone to waste.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments all of which have been taken into account.
As you are aware we were still in our first couple of months in June, and we were still finding our feet and sorting out arrears that need addressing.
I can now confirm that evening meals are served on a Sunday evening, as we realised that this was a must for the Seaton area. We do operate a menu which is available and we are not a table service pub, you will need to order drinks and food at the bar arear.
Unfortunately we are a public house and we do need our locals in the winter months to survive, and we do allow smoking outside, we do not have a back garden, therefore this is why they smoke at the front of the property.
We are hoping that we are making this property better each month, and that you will stick with us.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I visited this pub for a drink and a meal. First of all, the service was lousy. There was one person on duty behind the bar and it really did take ages to be served - on a warm sunny evening, with lots of customers, there should have been more staff on duty. The food; I ordered pasty, chips and peas. My meal was served without peas. The pasty was stale, hard and dry, and the contents were dry and shrivelled. My wife chose a meal which was accompanied by a baguette. The meal was fine but the baguette was dry and stale. Finally, there are approximately five circular wooden tables, located immediately outside the main entrance, for use of the customers. We found that three of those tables were old and broken and could not reasonably be used. We won't ever return to this pub and consider that they do not care about their clientele and don't have to; because they are the only pub in this area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We are terribly sorry that you experienced a bad evening with us back in July.
We have recently taken over the property and we are still finding our feet.
On that evening in question, we were not expecting it to be so busy, therefore we did not have enough staff on, and therefore the time of being served takes alot longer. We have since rectified this problem and when the sun is out we always have more staff working.
We are now looking at getting new benches and lighting outside. The summer months weather has taken its toll on the outside furniture and we realise that this needs replacing.
We hope if you are in the area again, you will drop by and give us a second chance.

Been to The Smugglers Inn? Share your experiences!