“The food is so great it will make your cheeks hurt!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Trewithian
Cuisines: English, Seafood, Contemporary, Eclectic
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: We could go on, but let's leave that to the Guide Books. Come and experience Driftwood's Michelin Starred Restaurant for yourself. There are no extravagant promises, only a guarantee of the freshest, finest food, served with stunning views across the sea. When the weather is warm we light hurricane lamps on the deck to enjoy pre-dinner drinks and after dinner coffee.
private
“The food is so great it will make your cheeks hurt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Firstly the map currently shown is incorrect. This place is in Cornwall, not London! I've been here twice now, the first time was booked by my, now, wife as a surprise. The second time was for her 30th birthday. Both times were fantastic. To start with the location is great. It overlooks the beautiful gardens then the amazing coastal views. There's a cosy room to sit in before and after a meal with comfy sofas and a relaxed feel. I would describe this place as 'posh' but it certainly isn't stuffy and uncomfortable. It's got a good atmosphere and the staff are really pleasant and helpful and there was never any rush. The lady that served us the first time was excellent. She had a great knowledge of the what she presented to us on the table. That said the chap that served us with her the second time was just as good. This brings me to what has to be the best bit....the food. I imagine the chef has a wand in the kitchen as he must be a magician. It looks like artwork and tastes like food I've never tasted before. I love food and to look, smell and taste the food was a real pleasure. I was that impressed I was smiling throughout, so much so it made my cheeks hurt!! It was a shame when I'd eaten it all and my wife didn't leave anything for me either! OK, this place isn't cheap, but you're not booking a night out at 'spoons, your eating at a place that has just gained a Michelin star! Saying that it's not unreasonably priced and is certainly worth it. I haven't been fortunate enough to stay in the hotel yet (which has a seperate tripadvisor page by the way) but if it's anything like the food and experience of eating in the restaurant i'm sure it'll be superb!

• Visited May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Truro, United Kingdom
“Seriously Good..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

So this place has just got a Michelin..? Wonder why? Must be the delightfully fascinating menu whcih is reproduced on the plate with a wonderful expertise. It's not 'ponced up' for the sake of it, just brilliant seasonal dishes that make you want to go back just to eat the rest of the menu. The service is warm and knowledgable and welcoming. The ranking of 'one hundred and whatever in Cornwall' shows the fault with Tripadvisor because if this is'nt one of the top three I don't know what is.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
cornwall
“fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

on a cold wet windy night in october my son and i ventured out to this fab place we were welcomed by fantastic service a very warm welcome by the owner and the waitress both were very attentive to all our needs throughout the whole evening.
The food was amazing 1 michilin star awarded to chris eden and very worthy of it, the restaurant itself is very romantic with candles and dim lights shame i went with my son and not my hubby i think we would probably booked into a room for the night the wine fantastic value for money and will be returning in the very near future thank you to all for a fine dining experiance.

• Visited October 2011
Cornwall
“Something different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We were aware of Driftwood from friends who enjoy good food, however with a Michelin star now under their belt we felt we should go and 'check it out' for ourselves.

On arrival we were shown through to the lounge to have a drink in front of a roaring log fire. Plied with olives, roast almonds and little cheese biscuit nibbles, drink in hand it would have been easy to stay and relax all evening, yet the dinner menu looked interesting and tasty! It was imperative that we all chose something different!!

As you would expect the service was impeccable. We had booked a late table so were on a second sitting. The wait between starters and mains was perhaps a little longer than you might have expected, but it was worth it. The food was beautifully presented and tasted gorgeous. The chef is clearly thinking for himself and there were none of the usual suspects on the menu providing a very different dining experience to that proffered in other local hostelries.

Overall we had a lovely meal and enjoyed the ambiance of the surroundings. Although a reasonable drive from Truro I think Driftwood might just be added to our list of preferred suppliers!!

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Gorgeous food - highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I have eaten here twice now, and each time had a fabulous meal. The excellent chef, Chris Eden, has put together a sophisticated and original menu. Each dish contains an array of -sometimes unusual - ingredients but the result is a perfect balance of flavours. And it all looks as good as it tastes! It's great value for the standard of food and service, and the atmosphere is welcoming and unpretentious.

Don't be put off by the slightly remote location - it is 100% worth it. Especially if you arrive early enough to pop down to the beautiful beach nearby. Or if you combine it with a stay in the hotel.

If you are staying in the hotel, it's worth booking into the restaurant, otherwise you're not guaranteed to get a table, because a lot of people go there just to eat.