“Fantastic botanical park” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 9 Attractions in Par
Type: Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Trek through the world's largest indoor rainforest, take in the sights and smells of our Mediterranean Biome, and explore our huge outdoor gardens. At the Eden Project you'll discover the fascinating relationships between plants and people. You'll also find a full calendar of family events throughout the year and music festivals in the summer. As an educational charity we run transformational social and environmental projects locally and internationally.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Armadale, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Fantastic botanical park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

My other half and I visited once before a couple of years ago, but this time we were visiting with friends.

One of our friends required a wheelchair which are available from Car Park Apple 1 (the car park guides will try and put you in what ever car park they are filling at the time, so you just have to tell them you're needing a wheelchair). As we were using our car, we didn't have a blue badge so we could only drop off in that car park (there is a drop off point next to the wheelchairs). If you book well ahead there are also a small number of motorised wheelchairs available too. By the end of the day our friend said that she wished she'd brought a cushion for the wheelchair as it wasn't the most comfortable.

On arrival into the gardens/park itself we had a lovely relaxing stroll down towards the biomes looking at all the plants and sculptures on display. This was much better than last time we visited because then it was raining so we took the fastest route to get to an indoor area again.

The biomes (the large domed greenhouses) house plants indigenous to rainforest and Mediterranean zones. On the day we went the Mediterranean zone was actually cooler than the outside. There is a café in the Mediterranean zone too. I love Mediterranean food and I was disappointed last time that I didn't know about it until after lunch. This time I was disappointed that nothing on the menu actually appealed to me. The Paella, despite being called "authentic", did not resemble anything I'd ever conceive of as being available to order at an arrozaria in Spain - They seemed to decide to throw everything people might think of as being typical Spanish food into it and hope for the best.

There is a Pasty stand outside the biomes that you can eat at that also does baguettes. The baguettes are bought in so we were not able to ask for a plainer one to those that were available. My other half has IBS so has to be very careful about what he eats and one of my friends has to maintain a very bland diet - so basically the pasties and baguettes were completely out for them.

I've probably overly concentrated on the food options. But that's because since our last visit we now all had to be more careful about what we eat for medical reasons so it is a constant area of concern.

The biomes and "the core" exhibits were excellent. There was a new canopy walkway which wasn't there last time, which is excellent as it allows people in wheelchairs a view over the top of the rainforest zone they wouldn't have had last time. The steps up to the very top are still there, but were shut on the day we visited because the temperatures at the top were too high. I also notice that they have added a "cool room" since the last time too in case you find the humid heat overwhelming. There are water fountains provided on the upper levels of this biome now as well.

All in all, it was an excellent visit. I'm not going to score down on the food, because those are our issues. The food is of excellent quality and (if you can eat it) I highly recommend it.

If you book online you can get a discount on the ticket price and given the amount of time we spent there and overall how much we enjoyed the day it is well worth the money.

• Polish first
Amersham, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Returned again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We visited here when it first was established. Remains a truly amazing project for all ages. Some of the family ascended the 50m high viewing platform in the rain forest. Well worth a visit again and again.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Hot stuff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

This place has matured a lot since my last visit in 2001. It has also got a lot more expensive. But there is a lot to see. Take your time and wander. The biomes are spectacular but the tropical one is very hot. I would absolutely recommend using the facility to leave your outdoor clothing behind before you enter. Failing that there is a small chiller to cool you down. Lots of exotic and colourful plants to see and enjoy.
We ate a very enjoyable lunch Al Fresco you could say in the Mediterranean Biome.
At busy times I suspect that the parking is not easy but there is a bus service to the front door.
OK it is expensive but it's a lot cheaper than flying to Malaysia

Leeds, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Lots to see…if you like plants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Pros: impressive scale, lots of outdoor seating, well themed, interesting

Cons: Not that interactive (not sure what they could do about this, although more names on plants would be helpful), busy in certain areas even outside of school holidays

Conclusion: Enjoyable but don't feel the need to go back now I've been. The best bit is definitely the climate-controlled indoor biomes (particularly the larger rainforest one)

Camberley
19 attraction reviews
“A unique attraction, not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

The Eden Project is outstanding! Breathtaking in concept, inspirational in philosophy, imaginatively executed to a consistent, very high standard everywhere. Friendly, very helpful staff throughout and an extensive and interesting gift shop at the end. A brilliant day out and very reasonable in all its prices!