“great day out” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Par
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Trek through the world's largest indoor rainforest, take in the sights and smells of our Mediterranean Biome, and explore our huge outdoor gardens. At the Eden Project you'll discover the fascinating relationships between plants and people. You'll also find a full calendar of family events throughout the year and music festivals in the summer. As an educational charity we run transformational social and environmental projects locally and internationally.
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

we enjoyed out trip th the Eden Project very much. Although it was very busy, it did not seem to crowded or people pushing. So many people had told me I would enjoy my day here and I did. All facillities are great and staff were all friendly and well informed about their job. Really enjoyed reading about the different species of things and going into the rain forrest and the story teller in the Meditaranian was keen and exciting. Would probably go again at some point as with the growing plants and seasons there would always be something new to look at.

• Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
“A good day out if you like that sort of thing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have visited the Eden Project a number of times, and decided to take my in-laws for a trip as they had not been there before. I do have a background in Environmental Sciences having studied it at a degree level, but the Eden Project does seem more suited to those with a passion for the subject.

I do enjoy happily discussing the impact of global warming and stating that scientific evidence is very strong both for and against the human impact on climate change, however, the Eden Project does enjoy force feeding the subject down your throat with no concern whether people want to discuss it or if they just want to see some tropical plants.

I personally am the latter. I wanted to see some plants, and I had an interest in seeing the biomes in spring as last time it was closer to summer, and before that, it was winter. I was impressed, the plants were very pretty and a delight to walk around.

The eden project is very impressive and has made fantastic steps in the regeneration of an old open mine. It sits sheltered and there is a lot to do. Seeing the different plants and the project going on makes it a really nice walk through something different. Just looking at the biomes reminds me of bubble wrap, or when you used to put paint in a cup and blow on a straw in junior school.

Inside you are greeted with some of the most fantastic plants, and you really feel as if you have changed country. The outside biome is really nice and well presented. It is true that a lot of passion has gone into this project as well as a lot of research. It is definitely worth a visit, however it has fallen into the same trap as many other tourist traps.

The cost of getting in is pretty pricey, it is what it is, a giant garden centre. The Eden Project gets pricer from there. Its stalls are full organic goodness, which means companies can charge whatever they like (mainly 50% more than non-organic stuff) for to lead us believe that organic food production is more 'costly' and good for us, which to me seems more like a marketing ploy.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't really want to visit for the third time but once there, I had a great time! Even if it was to disagree with their own view on climate change.

Good point: Very pretty.

Bad point: I don't really understand 'The Seed'......

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Before you go, double check you understand what you are going to.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

You really actually have to have at least a remote interest in plants I think. I don't. I had a number of enthusiastic people endorsing it. When I tried to ask, what it was exactly, they all gave me vague answers. Or at least, answers that didn't make sense to me.

There's probably nothing wrong with the place. Except you need to be interested. I was waiting and waiting for the point. And when I didn't find it, I realized the whole Eden Project just went right over my head. It would have helped if I had understood it's a couple of very big green houses. If someone had just said that, I wouldn't have gone.

I tried my very, very best to be polite to the people I came with and look around. But that only killed about 20 minutes. I just couldn't appreciate it. If you don't like greenhouses or gardening, this is not for you.

Visited June 2012
5 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We visited son a wet and windy mid May day. I'd picked Eden because I knew the weather was going to be rubbish and it was an inside day. To my surprise there is vast amounts to see outside as well as inside. The rainforest dome is the centre piece and is quie spectacular, as well as very educational. I certainly learnt quite a bit, and I consider myself pretty well read. The med dome isn't as spectacular, but I did find it enjoyable. The cafe's are quite good value and the gift shops are well stocked with good gifts. I stocked up on a few future birthday presents. It isn't a cheap day, though I believe it's heavily discounted if you go by bus ( part of an Eco initiative) I would highly recommend it.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Impressive but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

There's no denying the Eden Project is an impressive achievement, however, there is no getting around the fact that the price is probably double what you would expect to pay for this type of attraction. Certain elements are outstanding, ie the Rainforest Biome, unfortunately this can't be said of the rest which is good but not amazing. The "Core" in particular is a bit disappointing and feels like the space could have been used better.
The food on offer is very good and reasonably priced, with some really appetising and fresh food available in the bakery.
All in all, it is worth seeing, but it's difficult to see what would bring you back for a second visit, which is a shame as one admission buys you a years membership (great if you're local, but I'm guessing most visitors aren't).
Worth booking online 7 days ahead as this will get you a discount, also if you visit the Lost Gardens of Heligan first (which are fantastic!) then you can get 25% off at Eden.