“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mullion
Bournemouth, UK
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went for a 1 night stay on a travel zoo deal. £99 for dinner bed and breakfast. Lovely staff very friendly. Had a great sharing board to start which was fantastic, nice steak and a good pudding. Even gave us 20% off the wine. Very nice room with some sea views which we were not expecting. My girlfriend had a treatment as well (elmis) which apparently was very good. Not a great pool (small). Shame as this was the only flaw in a lovely stay. Great location. Nice walks nearby. We will go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Asistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Hello JohnL9
Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you both had a great stay and we are pleased that the special offer was such a success.
We hope to see you soon.
Best wishes

Paula

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The hotel, staff and location were all excellent. I don't know how a reviewer could suggest this isn't a luxury hotel, because it is!
We were lucky enough to have a sea view room and it was delightful - very comfortable bed, bedding and a large en-suite.
The breakfast was superb, with excellent choice and quality - and quantity. If they'd have thrown in a vegetarian sausage or some veggie bacon, I'd have been in culinary heaven! Dinner was included as part of our deal and was lovely - perhaps a little pricey if you took it separately. But then again the quality was excellent, so that would be up to you.
During our stay, we had to draw the staff's attention to something (late night noise from the 'Snug' below our room) and we were very impressed with how they dealt with it, resolving the matter as quickly as possible, and even instanly changing their policy on the use of the Snug after a certain time.There is no one here with anything less than a very diligent approach when it comes to guests enjoying their stay - thank you to everyone for their conscientiousness.
We would be very happy to return to this lovely place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Assistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Hello MeandMine98
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that we responded promptly to the issue you raised with the noise in The Snug. This is not the best area in the hotel for late night chats so we are now advising guests to use the main Vista to minimise the chance of disturbing guests in rooms above The Snug.
I look forward to welcoming you back.

Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We have recently returned from a fantastic two night stay with friends.
We stayed in 2 superior sea view rooms and had splendid views looking out to sea. We ate in the main restaurant both evenings and our vegetarian request was well catered for. All of the staff were fantastic and a credit to the hotel especially Sophie who works in the vista lounge.
Only negative that we had was due to other guests, doors being banged instead of closed early in the morning (7.30am) and hearing 'sizzles' being shouted down the corridor isn't the best of wake up calls .
We will definitely be returning in the near future

Room Tip: Superior sea view is worth the extra
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Paula C, Assistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Hello LisaM14
Thank you for taking time out to write a review and for your kind comments. Sophie was very pleased to see her name in print and I think there's now some keen competition to see which of the team will be the next to get a mention.
I am sorry that other guests were not considerate when moving around the hotel : I think sometimes guests forget they are not at home. I'm glad the early morning call did not put you off and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is our third trip to the Polurrian over the last ten years, the first time on our first anniversary and so the hotel holds special memories for us.
Though we have two children, this was a treat just for ourselves.
Having previously experienced the hotel as an Edwardian Gosford Park style hotel, we were taken aback at the changes - and not in a good way. The old style glamour had made way for a Butlins/Haven/Fun pub look, though the hotel is keen to brand this particular style as "luxury". Er, no. Whilst the vista lounge extension is a fantastic space, it lacks intimate corners, whilst the interior furnishings look like something my daughter would have chosen to furnish Barbie's house, and the seating far too low to the ground for me to rise out of elegantly!
Also, there was a total lack of atmosphere in the Vista lounge due to the absence of a bar. In the blurb, it is pointed out that the absence of a bar is a deliberate decision, and that there is instead waiter service. Well, that's all very well providing you can find a waiter. There were a couple of occasions where the management might be interested to know we found it difficult to spend money in the hotel. One of these was sitting in the Vista lounge after dinner, wondering how much longer it would take for a member of staff to appear so we could order drinks. And prior to dinner, we lamented how nice it would have been to wander down and sit at the bar for a quick drink before dining. Alas, it was not to be, due to the absence of waiting staff.
Now to the restaurant. This fantastic room largely remained elegant, with the exception of the awful chairs that did nothing to encourage you to linger and order more wine due to the uncomfortable backs. Dinner was well cooked - the best soup I have ever tasted, tomato and basil. However, I have never dined anywhere that served soup minus any bread. I believe even the menu described it as being accompanied by homemade bread. When we asked the staff about the missing bread, we were informed that yes, the soup did come with bread - the bread for dipping in oil was meant to also be for the soup. What?! As we were given the bread and oil before we had ordered our starters and mains, there were baffled looks aplenty. The food was lovely, but you have to know this was a ridiculous conversation to be having. Someone in the kitchen found us some toasted soda bread - and I'm glad they did because this too was delicious. All the restaurant staff were very polite and helpful, though I had the impression they were not well briefed about what the dishes contained, and the service seemed at times slow: whilst waiting for a fairly long time for our empty plates to be cleared and dessert offered, a waiter appeared....only to clear the long since empty table next to us. Though he came back not long after to clear our plates, there was a long delay in remembering that we might want pudding and coming back. There was also a long delay in receiving our wine from the invisible bar. This arrived after our first course. My husbands lemon sole was a good size and well cooked. My baby artichoke and puy lentils were also delicious. The restaurant needs to sort itself out so that the fantastic food is well represented by equally good service - and don't be stingy on the bread.
Room wise - well, the bathrooms are heaven. Just heaven. Bedroom nice and clean, bedding crisp and comfy. But again with the furniture - at odds with the architecture of the hotel and even the adjoining bathroom. Just get rid of it. Very Premier Inn.
My last grumble - before I get on to telling you about why I would stay at the Polurrian - is that we had to wait quite a while to check out at the reception area that would look more at home in a bank foyer. Where is the counter with brass bits? And a bell - which we could have done with. I almost left without settling the bill, and planned to do it via telephone from the car park - this would have been quicker and made my point. Again, the Polurrian made it difficult for us to part with money.
Now, I do realise that my view of this new Polurrian Bay Hotel (though I notice the hotel still makes use of the old "Polurrian" hotel coasters in the bathroom, either a branding oversight or a cost saving exercise) is heavily influenced by a nostalgic remembering of a treasured time for my husband and I. And I do recognise that in order for the Polurrian to be viable, probably things needed to change, and though this may not entirely suit my taste or fit in with my memories, the Polurrian Bay Hotel is somewhere I would take my children. I wouldn't plan a couples trip there, but I would consider taking my children, and perhaps I should. It would please me to see them gasp in awe, as everyone does, when they first set eyes on the place, and that amazing view of the Atlantic. They wouldn't appreciate the bathroom of course, with its huge deep bath, or the lovely food. But they would be thoroughly impressed with the Vista lounge, the hot chocolate sachets next to the kettle in the room, the free DVDs, the view of the tide coming in to the bay, the Den, the swimming pool and the games room. They would probably think it a luxury.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Assistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello Mrs Pudsey
Thank you for your comprehensive review. It is clear that you have considered every element of your stay and there are some learning points for us to take on board.
I am sorry that the redesign and refurbishment of the hotel are not to your taste. Prior to the hotel becoming part of the Luxury Family Hotels group in 2011 the building was very neglected and definately in need of a lot of TLC. We have aimed for a new style that is fresh and modern but still sympathetic to the age and history of the building.
The lack of a visible bar does mean that we have to be attentive with our table service and many guests do still choose to have pre dinner drinks in Vista and enjoy the interaction with staff and other guests. Ordinarily there will be dedicated staff in Vista whose sole aim is to look after guests in that area but regrettably we seem to have failed to serve your efficiently.
I am delighted that you enjoyed our food and have passed your comments on to Darren and his team. Again there are a number of service points that we failed on and there is no excuse for getting some of the basics wrong. I am mystified by the bread saga because we should always serve bread with the soup as the bread and oils pre dinner are extra to the starter. Thank goodness you were able to enjoy the soda bread ,which is home made and delicious, albeit later than you should have.
Check outs can be busy and we aim to staff reception according to the number of departures. We should always acknowledge guests who are waiting and wherever possible alert another member of staff to people checking out. However on occasions back up staff may get involved in a query or on a telephone call which keeps them from the front desk. Without knowing when you checked out I am unable to be more specific on why you wre delayed.
We do take our feedback seriously and we have discussed all the points you raised to ensure that all staff are aware of the correct procedures.
I am pleased that you found a lot to enjoy and I very much hope you will visit again with the children.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here last weekend for a couple of nights.Paula, the assistant General Manager was on reception and explained everything to us and showed us around the hotel and to our room which was delightful.The bed was very comfortable with a quality duvet and pillows. The bathroom was spacious with lots of fluffy towels. We ate breakfast and dinner in the in the main dining room rather than the Vista restaurant. The waiters were very attentive and the food excellent. Sarah , on reception, suggested good walks in the area and gave us leaflets on them. We look forward to a return visit and hope to stay longer next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Assistant General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hello Seniortraveller27
I was delighted to read your comments - thank you for taking the time to post a review. It was a pleasure to meet you both and I look forwadr to seeing you back soon.

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

As a family we stayed the weekend at this hotel 4 adults, 1 child 7 years old & 1 18 months old and what a superb break we had. It is diffcult to give an excellent grade as this should be when everything excels! and in the case of Polurrian this is the case. The minute you walk in the staff are so friendly, efficient and nothing is too much trouble. Rooms are so well decorated, comfortable, warm and very clean. Location is excellent and food delicious with lots of choice. Children are entertained with lots of facilities and litlte extra touches quizzes, treasure hunts etc.

We will definately be back and as grandparents we will also be back without the children to experience the wonderful hospitality that was provided by all staff Manager, waiting staff, receptionist, domestics thank you to you all you for making our weekend so enjoyable and comfortable! The Vista room is a fantastic addition with spectacular views out to sea and very relaxing.

Room Tip: Sea view a must with lovely chairs to sit in to get the best of the views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello holiday190730

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It was great to meet you all and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best wishes

Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in a Sea view room which was lovely. The hotel itself is beautiful with a fantastic vista lounge where you have panoramic views out to the gardens and sea. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and made every effort to ensure we had a great stay. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because although very nice, the evening meals were very limited in choice and after walking and swimming all day were very small portions which may suit some of course. I also felt the service was a bit rushed in the restaurant, despite it being fairly quiet that night. The breakfast was fab though so well worth it. The spa is also great, with a gym, pool and jacuzzi, very nice. Would recommend totally and return again as well.

Room Tip: Would recommend a sea view room as its well worth the extra.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hello Kate23b
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were wowed by the Vista views and the Spa experience. I appreciate your comments regarding menu choice and service and have discussed these with Chef and the Restaurant Manager.
Feedback is essential and In response to guest comments we are changing the menu after half term.
I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Paula

Been to Polurrian Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!