“Stunning views - great service” 5 of 5 stars

Polurrian Bay Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Polurrian Road, Mullion TR12 7EN, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mullion
London, England
“Stunning views - great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We spent three days at the Polurrian mainly to attend an anniversary event, part of which was also held there. The location is unparalleled - green lawns leading down (steeply) to crashing waves on the nearby cove with views of the Lizard in the distance. We had a seaview room - definitely worth the additional money - so we enjoyed the views there, in the lounge and in the dining room. We also chose a recently refurbished room - good pick - done in cool colours and with a great bathroom (also with a seaview) and Elementis smellies in abundance. We were particularly delighted with the level of service from the outset in a friendly reception and from the bar and waiter staff. Our friends held their anniversary lunch there and it was arranged smoothly with a wise range of food. Food generally was of a high quality for breakfast and for dinner. The ground floor is still undergoing extensive renovation but the works didn't disturb us. It would be a fantastic venue for families with small children as there is a separate Den with masses of toys, and activities are planned on a daily basis + films for kids.

Room Tip: Choose a seaview and a room that has been recently refurbished.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Wonderful hotel, well maintained, stunning location, helpful staff but above all the food was phenomenal. Both dinner and breakfast outdid our expectations, hats off the the chefs. Only problem was there was some maintenance work continuing on the ground floor so the hotel was full of work men. We were a little disappointed that the spa only offered a pool and jacuzzi and the therapists were not working on the two days we were staying at the hotel, something the receptionist had not mentioned on booking.
Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would recommend this stay to others.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
PB H, Front Office Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. Feedback is important to us and I am grateful you have taken the time to offer your comments. We have recently included details of the Spa therapists hours in the confirmation letters we send to guests but I am sorry this was not in time for your visit.
I hope we will see you again and that you will be able to enjoy a treatment then.

s Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

This was our 3rd visit here - (see my previous comments 3rd March 2011) It was good to see that since the new ownership, there were some familiar faces there still - Paula with her welcoming smile and cheerful disposition, and "Uncle" Richard, always ready to help with anything from the dining room to serving drinks and so on, and Sabrina, again very able at her job, to name a few. They have some new young faces too - Jenny, a waitress with a beautiful smile and very professional at her job scored 10 out of 10 with us.
Things HAVE changed - some for the better, some for the not so - hence the title of this critique!
Good points:
Our room was one of the newly refurbished sea view rooms, with a most comfortable bed. Unlike other contributors here, tea/coffee making facilities were supplied without us asking, and cleanliness was good. The view was as we remembered - you will not see anything better from a hotel room! The bath and shower were fine, towels replaced each day - all fluffy ones, but the bedroom furniture I would describe as "basic" with the most uncomfortable apertures for handles on the doors and drawers! I also gave myself a nasty clout on the very sharp pointed corner of the bed-side cabinet - my fault I suppose, but it is still hurting 4 days later!
The main lounge has been re-decorated and I presume is back to its original size after the removal of the bar. It really is a stunning room, with plenty of comfortable seating (lacking on our previous visits) I'm not sure I like the idea of having people eating lunch and dinner in this room however, although whilst we were there, we only saw some cream teas being served. I should think the food smells would be a bit off-putting especially if the battered fish and chips were being served. This now gets me to the "not so good” points:
The bar has gone - sad! It was a focal point, and I don't think we are the only ones who miss it either.
Restaurant - service was good, polite and professional. However.... the food we feel is lacking, not only in choice (fixed menu that doesn't change) but quality and execution. An example was the 3 seared scallops on a cauliflower puree, with a spoonful of unstrained and wet spinach with a few capers thrown in. 3 x 1cm scallops. £7.95. Come on Chef - that's taking the Michael a bit. I did have a superb sirloin steak one night, which was done perfectly to my request, but again, lacking in finesse - just a few chips to accompany it - no vegetables, or garni. A few petite pois would have brightened it up, with perhaps a slice of grilled tomato for colour? There was no mention of availability of extra vegetables on the menu as far as I can remember. All in all, an uninteresting, pretentious, over-priced and poorly executed menu, but I am sure improvements can be made with very little trouble. Oh yes, one other moan - please give a bit more consideration over the choice of background music. This is a personal thing I suppose, but it was pretty awful whilst we were there this time!
It has been mentioned here before about the facilities being more geared up for children. True - they are in the 21st Century now, with all sorts of computer paraphernalia and games. Nice to see a room dedicated to this, although I miss the full size snooker table!
So, to summarise: Yes we shall visit here again, despite the adverse comments above. There is a magic about the place that even the new owners have failed to eliminate in their efforts provide an up-market effect. Thank goodness the decorations have been sensitive to the age of the building, and original staff members have been retained. I do miss the bar though!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view - not to be missed!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
PB H, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Thank you for your constructive comments. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know your concerns and hope that you do visit us again. You will be pleased to learn that I have already made alternative arrangements for the background music. The menu is constantly under review and is evolving to meet the expectations of our guests.

Peter Holgate
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed for two nights in October 2011 with our kids, 9 & 11. We stayed in a newly-refurbished suit (separate room for the kids) with fantastic sea views. Perfect.

The main lounge, smaller one and dining room all take advantage of the fantastic sea views and are spacious with a luxurious feel. Attentive staff brought us drinks there in the evenings, along with free olives etc.

Food and wine was good and the facilities are extensive: two pools, great tennis court, play area for younger ones and the 'blue room' with pool, table football, internet and every games console I'd heard of, so our kids were happy; also at breakfast - they loved the waffles & fruit.

Great beach 5 minutes walk away and right on the cliff coast path: couldn't be a better location. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Sea views worth paying a bit more for (as long as you don't mind the sound of waves at night if...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.We really do value the feedback and are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back for another visit.

Paula Cooke
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is in quite simply an amazing location. The sea views are incredible, it is a truly enjoyable experience to sit either inside or outside simply taking in the spectacular views.

The one downside to the experience is the lack of bar snacks. Having spent a number of afternons making the most of the vistas. Simply put a bag of crisps or a bowl nuts would have made me stay in the amazing surroundings for longer rather than heading to the next place for some salty snacks.

• Stayed September 2011
Redruth, Cornwall, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I booked this last minute as a surprise for my partner who was due to go away for 2 months his job, so I did not have a great choice of room. I opted for a sea view room which was yet to be re-furbished, but was advised by the receptionist that it would be a room of a very high standard as it had only been refurbished within the last few years. On arrival I was slightly disappointed with the room as when we opened the door it smelt slightly damp and we immediately opened the window to let a lttle air in. The literature stated that you had to 'request' a tea tray, as the owners felt that it would be a better experience having tea with fresh milk, I did this, and when the tray arrived was surprised to find the milk was not fresh in a jug as I expected but the long life single sachets. We also requested a ironing board and iron and when this arrived asked for two glasses but were told we would need to get these from the bar area!

However, the restaurant menu although limited, provided a very high standard meal and the waiting staff were excellent. The hotel seemed to employ quite a few young staff members in this area and we found them to be very personable and an assett to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
PB H, Front Office Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
I am pleased that overall you seem to have enjoyed your visit. You have highlighted some service issues that we need to address and I thank you for taking the time to add your feedback.

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

lovely hotel with great views.
took two small children and they had an excellent time, really enjoyed the free creche which was superb.
spa was good as was the indoor swimming pool which was empty both times we used it. spotless changing rooms.
room had a great view and could hear the waves crashing on the rocks at nght. bed was huge and v comfortable. Only downsides were it seemed a bit dated in places and the bathroom had a very tempermental shower which wouldnt expect at the price.
staff were very helpful. food a bit hit and miss. Lack of drinks and fridge in room a bit annoying.
overall though would recommend and return - to a fully refurbished room

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
PB H, Front Office Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased the children had such a good time in The Den with the creche team.
Tea and coffee can be provided and subject to availibility we do have small table top fridges that can be placed in guest bedrooms on request.
The classic rooms were last updated 4 years ago so do not match the style of the recent improvements. However these rooms will all be refurbished by mid December so they will meet the high standards of the rest of the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Assistant Manager

Been to Polurrian Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!