“very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Haven Valley Country Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mawgan Porth
Sun Haven Valley Country Holiday Park
You added Sun Haven Valley Country Holiday Park to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Villa   |   Mawgan Porth | Near Padstow, Mawgan Porth TR8 4BQ, England   |
Brownhill, United Kingdom
“very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was very excited to be staying at sun haven with my partner at the beginning of August, as i used to come here for 5 weeks each summer with my family and each year i came had a very enjoyable holiday (the last time i came was in 2006 and i was aware that the site had changed management since then but did not expect it to have gone down hill so much)
I understand the need for campsite rules however was very shocked to be given the page of rules on arrival, which weren't very politely written. In previous years coming to sun haven we were always asked to put a sticker in the car, however they never had so many details on as the one we were asked to put in this year. I understand the need for the stickers however as my partner pointed out too me by having so many details (reg, dates, pitch number), if we were to be parked at the beach for the day, anyone looking at the sticker would be able to see that our tent was empty. I also don't know if anyone else has had this trouble but the pen used to write the details on the sticker have printed onto the windscreen of my partners car and we are having difficulty getting it off!
From my experience of camping the majority of campers quieten down as it is getting late out of respect for other campers and in the many years i have been to sun haven valley it has never been a campsite famous for its late night parties or noise. Therefore it was a bit of a shock to have the silence after 10:30 policy. Before coming on the holiday i read online that if was ok to sit outside your tent after 10:30 and read a book as long as you could not be heard off your pitch....this was not the case. On the second night of our holiday a torch was shone on our tent shortly after 10:30 when my partner asked me to turn the light off as we were going to bed. A voice from outside our tent told us to be quiet. if it wasn't poring down with rain then i think my partner would have packed up and gone home there and then. To be given a bedtime 45 minutes later than under 18's put a bit of a downer on the whole holiday!!
As other people have mentioned the toilets were not very clean. On a number of days during the week me and my partner stayed on the site during the day...on these days not once did we see a cleaner in the toilets...even when the closed for cleaning signs were outside the toilets.
Please please sort out the drainage on the washing up area...every time my partner went to wash up he came back to the tent wet due to the water running straight off the sink area.
We used the site shop once during the week....and on this occasion were met by an extremely rude lady, who greeted us by asking 'what do you want' and walked off when we said we hadn't quite decided. The young lady/girl who greeted us on arrival and then served us in the shop is very polite and helpful, however the other staff we met during the week were very rude.
On the final day of our holiday we sat in the tent and heard the young man emptying the bin presumably talking the bin called it 'a f*****g piece of s***'...i'm just glad that we didn't have children with us to hear this.
The walk to beach is lovely in the daytime, however does take longer than the 10 minutes we were told it would. The walk now it is covered by the trees feels very unsafe to walk down to the beach or back to the campsite when it is dark.
Overall i was very disappointed by sun haven this year and can safely say i will be looking for another campsite, hopefully in the Mawgan Porth are, to stay at in future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SunHavenValley, General Manager at Sun Haven Valley Country Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We have been put on Trip Advisor by someone and we cannot remove ourselves, and we note, that our campsite is reviewed under the classification of hotel and that no other local campsite is up for reviews so, because of all this, we have chosen to respond to reviews that are, effectively, posted anonymously.

It is interesting that some of my replies have been met with emails to our park,(outside of Trip Advisor), expressing outrage that I have responded; and this year one young lady added in that she would have all of her friends post bad reviews. So let me start Ms "Georgina" by congratulating you on your FIRST EVER Trip Advisor review. I wonder what prompted it ? .

Can I just summarise the problems highlighted in your review -

(i) - there was too much information on the car sticker
(ii) - the information was visible to the public in local car parks
(iii) - The woodland walk is dark at night and you find this scary
(iv) - your partner cannot do the washing up without getting wet
(v) - you didn't SEE a cleaner ( though you do NOT say that the showers / toilets were dirty )
(vi) - you found the "other" staff rude
(vii )- the rules written to control the selfish, bad mannered minority, who are happy to spoil the holidays of others, are not written very politely but (vii) clearly these rules were not harshly written enough for you as you had to be asked to obey the "silence at 10.30" rule and not to be selfish, and bad mannered by spoiling the holidays of others
(viii) you object to the "silence-at-10.30" rule as you feel it is too close to the bedtime of the younger children and you feel you should be allowed a later bedtime.

IF these are the BIGGEST problems on our park in the middle of August I am delighted - however for your benefit

(i) - the information is for us and has no effect on you
(ii) - - the car stickers adhere to the windscreen by "friction" not adhesive - they can be removed and replaced in seconds and this can be done dozens of times. We do not insist on your using them when you leave the park - and as you are now home you may take it off the windscreen.
(iii) - my daughter,when home from college, walks to the beach in the dark - my wife walks the dog up in the woods in the dark - and I regularly walk to St Mawgan to and from the Falcon Inn in the dark - and do you know sometimes it is so dark that we turn the torch on ? - may I suggest that if you are scared of the dark that you don't go for walks in the dark ? ,
(iv)- The washing up sink area is as level as possible so that the water neither runs towards the washer-up, nor ponds at the back of the draining area to accumulate grime - but water is "self-levelling"; if people 'spill' water it needs to be wiped up for the area to be dry . My children get wet when they unstack the dishwasher - I think it just needs a little thought, care and a rag to deal with any standing water dripping from newly washed crockery
(v)- I note your complaint is NOT that the toilets were dirty, but is that you didn't see a cleaner . - perhaps you didn't see a cleaner because we don't do the cleaning when customers are using the facilities - cleaning is timed for minimum inconvenience to customers. When the toilets are closed I hope you cannot see a cleaner - cleaners should be down the corridor round the corner cleaning cubicles - if they are standing at the door looking after the "toilets closed" sign , or watching the floor dry , they won't have a job for long - and if you can see round those sorts of corners you should be worried .
(vi) - you will find the majority of reviews talk about how friendly the staff are. As you didn't see a cleaner & don't mention the gardener we wonder which, & how many, staff you dealt with in our small family company ? Perhaps you should find the fable about the old man on the bench who asks "What were the people like where you've come from? " ( try Google)
We apologise for the employees outburst - had you reported it, so that we knew who it was, we could have carried out some "re-education" but clearly you didn't think it was important enough. In their defence the frustration usually arises from people who "mis-use" the refuse system for example - clearing up excrement because someone hadn't made the effort to tie a nappy bag properly and has then dropped it outside the bin , (and even worse) often exposes an employee's worst reactions - but none-the-less still not acceptable . Clearly though, two weeks or so later there is little we can do.
(vii) If you are young enough that you need to be given a bedtime I suggest that you shouldn't be here without your parents. We don't give bedtimes - we just ask that you respect other peoples bedtimes.

Some of course might suggest the REAL problem is that you were asked to be quiet after 10.30 on one night, to which you objected so you have generated a whinge. My summary may be facetious, but it's not incorrect.

I note that we now have so few people who are happy to disturb the sleep of others by their inconsiderate behaviour I have an idea of the incident as I think I was the night warden on duty - about pitch 85 - large silver transit - Trip Advisor will not allow me to detail more. If I am right , your version of events borders on the ;level of "fantasy" but I would say that clearly , from what you say, that you read our website before you came and ignored it - I am told that our "behaviour" page which details the 10.30 pm silence system is actually quite "scary" - but we don;t care. The only people "scared" of policemen are those who break the rules - perhaps you should have read it twice and if you didn't like it , you should have gone elsewhere.
You state "From my experience of camping the majority of campers quieten down as it is getting late, out of respect for other campers"" - well our customers will be laughing at that one for years to come - as you seem to be one of the minority of bad mannered campers who talks 'til late and disturbs others not only do we have to call your judgement into question , but you clearly have very little family camping experience on large parks in school summer holidays , and nor do you take young children to such parks

We have a semi-" system" for the ""10.30"" rounds , and I will save you the explanation , but if you were asked to be quiet after 10,30 pm it would usually mean that

(i) you had been talking loudly for AT LEAST 10 - 5 minutes - because we would not normally say anything on the first walk round
(ii) you had exceeded the usually generous allowance we make for family/childrens "going-to-bed" conversations
(ii) at the EARLIEST it would have been a little before 11pm as the rounds don't start til 10.35 - 10.40
(iii) you were loud enough for us to consider that you could be heard by people ( children) in nearby tents and might be disturbing their holiday

If people don;t want to obey the SILENCE after 10.30m rule then may I suggest they must PLEASE NOT COME TO US - there is no reason for them to spoil their holiday on a park where they don't like the rules and want loud conversations til midnight - and I can assure you the rules will not be changed and the regulars think it's marvellous ,

May I wish you luck in finding a campsite to your requirements ELSEWHERE next year.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just returned from 11 nights camping. The site is nice, has good facilities and is well maintained.

The showers are hot and clean, there is a good laundry room and freezer facilities. The private bathrooms are great for little kids wanting a bath :0) although a stool would be a good idea to sit at the bath with the kids.

The play area is nice, the new play house for little ones is also nice, and the kids love looking at the birds, chickens and guinea pigs.

I was disappointed with our pitch as we were advised to have our pitch with having 3 and 5 year old children. Although close to the toilets, near to the park was not a good idea! as is was very loud with older kids playing, shouting and running around all night until nearly 10.00pm each night it was certainly not peaceful. This made it very difficult to get my 2 young children to sleep each night.

I was also disappointed with the walk to the beach that we were told was 10 mins. With small kids it is much further and subsequently we drove away to other beaches as our local wasn't actually that close. It is certainly not a buggy friendly either.

We needed emergency help at 1.00am as my child had an allergic reaction, but when I went to wake the owners and the warden up, the was no answer!
The emergency list we were given did not give you the nearest A&E, but was an out of date list, so after calling Newquay and Bodmin to find no A&E I had to call 999 from the phone box (due to no mobile signal) for an ambulance and we ended up at Truro A&E. The ambulance called the reception telephone for an update of how my daughter was, to plan the necessary treatment, yet the phone in the reception office was not answered and we couldn't get to it! The paramedics and hospital staff were fantastic and she was treated and recovered fully.
Fortunately the site gates were not locked and the ambulance could get in and we could get out. It was very traumatic and I was disappointed and annoyed by the lack of service provided, not being able to wake staff to help as well as the inaccurate list.

If all is well on your holiday and you don't need emergency help in the night, you have older children then this is a nice campsite.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SunHavenValley, Manager at Sun Haven Valley Country Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
All arrivals are shown, and a are given a copy of, a comprehensive list of telephone numbers including Newquay hospital (stating no major accident unit ) , Truro Royal Cornwall hospital and for good measure Bodmin hospital. The sheet also includes numbers for the NHS-out-of-hours and the local GP surgery -(which diverts at night to the NHS out-of-hours). This same sheet, issued to all, also informs customers that there is no mobile signal in the valley but that there is a phone box opposite the reception and that in case of an emergency, people should dial 999. On the notice boards is also a copy of the NHS number for out-of-hours medical advice with the message that in an emergency you should dial 999.

We would apologise for our family not being able to sort out your 01hs00 emergency for you , it would have been nice to help you as we have helped others before. For a night time emergency with a small child it would have taken either my wife, myself, or the family just seconds to decide to dial 999 and I am sure that this would have been much more reassuring for you - HOWEVER as family members working 12 hours a day (often much longer) we obviously sleep deeply, - though we are still not sure why, when you rang the bell at both houses, you did not wake the dogs in each house - both dogs are light sleepers and this is usually what wakes us for such problems in the early hours.

The reception/office is not manned at 1am which is why the phone was unanswered, and we do not have anyone sit in reception overnight for a once a year event - however we are glad to hear that your daughter recovered from the early morning peanut allergy attack after someone dialed 999

The gates were not locked - but I am very, very, sure that the ambulance men would have been able to wake us if they decided they needed to.

Pitches are allocated depending on tent sizes and availability at the time. Some pitches are loved by one family only to be intensley disliked by another. Parents with young children often choose pitches near the playground so that the children are not too far away when playing - one particular mother lets the children go off and then listens for them - but we are sorry to hear that it was wrong for you.

We are very strict on silence at 10.30pm ( or shortly thereafter), and we start moving children off the lawns, play area and games room (hopefully towards their accommodation) at 9.30pm but this can be a long job, but clearly having stated silence at 10.30 we cannot then try and impose silence in selected areas at 10pm .

We hope that these matters did not spoil your enjoyment of Cornwall
Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Sadly we were not able to fulfil our booking as I broke my ankle so I am not actually able to comment on the site. What I would like say is that the people who run Sun Haven Valley are very ill mannered, dismissive and extremely unprofessional. We will certainly be looking for an alternative campsite next year.

Stayed August 2013
SunHavenValley, Manager at Sun Haven Valley Country Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
You bought your holiday from us and a few days before you were due to arrive you informed us that you had had an accident. We offer a "cancellation scheme" at nominal cost which would have covered your accident (we are not allowed to call it insurance) which you hadn't taken; we had advised you to take holiday insurance, which you didn't do and we then offered you a low season credit if we could resell your pitch, which you didn't want - and in response to our sending an explanation of all this we received some unpleasant & unhelpful emails from yourself.

I wish you the best in finding a campsite elsewhere next year.
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have just returned from 10 nights camping. We travelled with our 2 girls aged 9 and 11. We have been coming for 2 years now. We keep returning because we love everything about it. You get to know the same families which return the same time of year.
The staff are very friendly. Our children played out every night and made lots of new friends. They love using the site shop which is well stocked. The noise policy is great knowing you wont get disturbed and the children return to there accommodation at the same time. Very relaxing.
The shower block is clean and we often booked the family bathroom for £2 which is great. Great facilities.
Nice walk to the Falcon Inn for a lovely meal and lovely tea room nearly opposite campsite for breakfast and lunches.
We have booked to go back at the end of August. Children love it and can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SunHavenValley, Manager at Sun Haven Valley Country Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
What a lovely review, thank you very much!

We hope your second visit was as enjoyable at the first, and will endeavour to maintain everything to the standard you experienced during your stay.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review for us, we hope you can return soon!

Kind Regards

Nina
Sun Haven Valley
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here for one week in a static caravan, we came to spend a week with our family who come here camping a few times a year. The site was very well maintained and tidy, our caravan was well equipped and clean, the rubbish bins were emptied several times a day, there was never any rubbish laying about round them. The play area was well away from our caravan, the children staying on the site were all very well behaved, the site is very strict about no noise after 10-30 at night. The shop on site was small but seemed to stock anything we needed, and the prices were not over the top like some parks charge. All in all it is nice for families but also nice and quiet for older people as well. Dogs are allowed but not on the grass areas where the children are playing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just returned after a weeks stay in our motorhome. On our arrival the staff were very helpful and enforced the 10.30pm silence policy.......A pleasant site, our two children 12 and 9 really enjoyed the holiday and met lots of friends. My only gripe was our pitch unfortunately.... it was right next to the gate to the footpath that leads to the beach. It is a shame that the 10.30 silence policy that is so strictly enforced to everyone didn't apply to the people walking through the gate and letting the steel gate fastener drop loudly each time...I lost count to the number of times I was woken up by such inconsiderate people. People generally started walking dogs from 6.30am so not so much as a holiday lay in for me. One night I was woken at 12.30am by the dreaded gate!!!
My suggestion would be to replace the steel fastener with a piece of rope. Also the pitch is next to the recycling bins which again meant no peace. One considerate camper decided to dispose of her recyclables at 7am on the Sunday morning!! but then on two occasions a site worker emptied the bins at 8am!! Maybe an early morning no noise until policy should be introduced too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the constructive review - you have some good ideas which we will implement
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We have jut been to this site for a 5 night stay in our tent. We chose the site for its location but also for the fact that it was described as 5star and that dogs were welcome. I was also enticed by the lovely photos online of a tent pitched next to a stream.

However when we arrived, this was no the case. We were greeted at reception by 2 lovely, helpful ladies who checked us in and gave us all the site info. I put all this to one side and proceeded to our pitch. We actually drove past the pitch once because we couldn't see an area that looked big enough for the tent!! Couldn't believe it when second time round we noticed the pitch number and this tiny little area was our pitch. The tent fitted, as I had to give the dimensions before we booked but we were literally in the pockets if next doors tent. The lovely stream as pictured online may as well not have been there. we couldnt see it, let alone get to it as it was down in a sort of ditch and overgrown with long grass and weeds. (And we paid extra for a stream side pitch!!)

Once pitched I got to reading the "info" I was given at reception. I understand that there need to be rules and most sites give out info on them, but this was ridiculous. The wording of the part that was about dogs made me want to go home. Basically dogs are "allowed" but not at all welcome as stated on the website. I understand that they have to be kept on a lead but a whole paragraph about how they MUST ABSOLUTELY NOT GO ON THE GRASS etc etc made me feel unwelcome as a dog owner.

Nevertheless we had a nice time. The walk down to the beach and nearest bars/shops was ideal and felt like being abroad (the great weather helped). There are loads of places nearby to visit and the shop on site is adequate. My favourite thing was the man who came on Wednesday night selling creeps..... DELICIOUS!!

Toilets/showers were ok, but could have been cleaner..... I never actually saw a cleaner in 5 days which I know could be a coincidence but you generally do usually see the facilities being cleaned at some point.

Overall, not the site isn't bad, I just think it is "talked up" too much online. If it were more realistic online a d the price more reflected what it actually is, it wouldn't lead to disappointment. Definitely more like a 3 star than a 5. Although the kids play park looked great there was absolutely no space at all for kids to play by the tent.

I wouldn't go there again for that price

• Stayed July 2013
The toilets and showers are cleaned daily by two cleaners who take 3 - 4 hours to do so . For cleaning we close off the blocks in turn, and closures are timed so that most of the customers are off the park. You would only meet a cleaner if you were showering between about 11am and 2pm or on some days 1pm to 4pm.
The blocks, by the way, are also "looked over" at 7am, periodically during the day and about 11pm for any obvious faults to be remedied. We receive far more unrequested compliments on the toilets blocks than we do complaints

Many parks have banned dogs because of the small percentage of bad mannered dog owners who believe that children’s play areas, such as our lawns, and other peoples pitches, are simply oversized dog toilets. We allow dogs, but attempt to curb the bad manners of the minority by asking that they be kept on leads and by banning dogs from the lawns. We note that all the reasonable dog owners understand why and have no objections. Our only other option is to also ban dogs totally, which is what many would have us do.

Our back gate sits on the junction of 3 footpaths which can be used for dog exercising with a wide variety of circular walks of up to eleven miles.

Popular campsites in Cornwall are full in August. We state our pitch sizes on the internet so that there are no surprises and we help select a pitch for the size of tent that you say you are bringing. Clearly if you are not able to keep the gaps that we stipulate between tents , then yours is probably one of the tents that we get every year that appear to have "grown" between booking and arrival. Out of season we will happily provide you with a double sized pitch for no extra charge, but in season, as you discovered, tent size is important.

Most of the children play on the communal lawns, in the playground, cycling around the campsites roads and in amongst their tents and many of the groups of children playing together have in fact never met each other before they came to the park. Playing around the tent only usually becomes a problem if you have not given us the correct tent size

Been to Sun Haven Valley Country Holiday Park? Share your experiences!