“Sublime” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Sublime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

A friend and I spent three wonderful days at this very special hotel in October. It was cold, blowy and largely wet while we were there, so we felt little compunction about staying put almost all the time. We ventured down onto the beach and for a short cliff walk on the second day. Also with so many different and glorious places to sit and read, chat, look at the fabulous sea views, who needed to be anywhere else? Add to this the fabulous spa with it's pool, outdoor hot tubs (not to be missed and good at all times of the day or night - we did both) and quiet spaces, we had everything we could possibly need or want right there.
The service is quite simply second to none. All staff are incredibly friendly, phenomenally helpful and approachable but not in your face. Nothing is too much trouble and there is such a "can do" approach here you feel you could ask for anything and it would be possible.
Utterly delightful experience from start to finish and next time I will definitely do some of the wonderful walks which start right from the front door............ Well..... maybe!! A place to seriously recharge, unwind and be peaceful.

Room Tip: The 'Just Right' rooms really are exactly that.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a kind review of your stay, and I'm so glad that you had such a delightful time with us. I will let the teams know you were well looked after, and that you will be back to stay again soon to take in our wonderful coastline, be it through our lovely coastal walks, or from the hot tub!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Our second visit in 2013 and our first for New Year. The three days were without fault. The program of events including a wine tasting were just right. The food was excellent and more importantly all the lovely staff worked so had to make it a fantastic experience. For anyone who is thinking of staying for the first time try a Just Right room you will not be disappointed. The whole atmosphere of the hotel is very relaxing perfect for a short break away from it all!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad that you had a wonderful stay, and it will be a pleasure to read out your comments to the team, who all really enjoyed making the celebrations as magical as possible! Hopefully we will be welcoming you back to The Scarlet again soon.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

It was a nice but a bit cold day but the scarlet hotel spa experience did complete the day. We had the couple's treatment which include the rhassoul and the hot tub (wooden) experience overseeing the nice view of cornwall. Few of our friends already been there and told us their amazing experience. The only thing is going there as there are narrow roads leading there, though someones's driving for me so shouldn't really complain. the whole place smells lovely as they are using those neom diffusers. Would definitely recommend and go again :D

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
What a lovely way to spend a chilly day with your partner! The Rhassoul is the perfect experience for couples, and to top it up with a soak in the hot tub must have been the perfect end to a relaxing day. Thank you for taking the time to review us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stunning, beautiful views!!!! The hotel is an eco hotel and the theme runs throughout whilst maintaining elegance! It's really modern and rooms are light, very clean and standards are high.

There is very little at fault with this wonderful retreat so I will get the only areas for improvement out of the way quickly. The in room hairdryer didn't work and when replaced wasn't very powerful so I utilized the spa dryer which was a parlux each day! The robes in the room one of them had a stain on it so I didn't use it and the bar area was a little small so we had to sit on the central area until we could get a table but non of these were a big deal and I would 100% return. There is a couple of things that may bother other people but that I didn't mind EG phone signal as this is only available out of the hotel at the top of the hill but they do give you free wi fi.
Also the parking there is very little and the car park concierge often has to move the cars around.

For me it was so nice not to have my mobile on!!! Very relaxing indeed!!!

Staff are a joy throughout. The check in is in a stunning area overlooking the sea and they don't have a reception desk but a casual welcome area with a lounge where you sit which is lovely!

The best two things about the hotel are the views from the rooms and the breakfasts that are the BEST breakfast we have ever had in any hotel world wide!!!

We stayed for three nights and each day the breakfast was from a new menu with some constants but also some variations. There were so many tasty options including the worlds best granola which was divine!!!!! We can't speak highly enough of the breakfasts!!!

Whilst we were here we also did a spa experience which was a hot tub on the side of the beach in a heated tub you were allowed to order champagne whilst in the hot tub and it was just perfect a definite must do!!!

This hotel was a real retreat and we would definitely return. Thank you to the wonderful team at the Scarlet!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review, it was a pleasure to read it out to the team. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us (especially breakfast, which I agree, with the ever varying three courses is always a treat!) and we hope to see you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I'd booked The Scarlet as a treat with my mother for a short break before Christmas. As a weekend away, it was the perfect antidote to a hectic lifestyle and we both left with our shoulders feeling a good few inches lower without realising how tense they were to start with.

Among the many things I fell in love with, the decor was at the top. Scattered throughout the hotel are beautiful works from local artists and nods to nature everywhere you look. Perhaps most captivating of all though are the floor to ceiling glass windows all along the front of the hotel providing uninterrupted views of the stunning Cornish coastline. And I haven't yet mentioned the food, which gives its famous neighbour Mr.Stein a run for his money. In fact,there are so many tiny details that make up The Scarlet experience that you'll just have to find out for yourself. Next time though I'll be taking my husband, I think he'd divorce me if I didn't!

• Stayed December 2013
I'm so glad that you and your mother felt more relaxed following your stay with us. What a wonderful gift, and such a lovely way to unwind during the busy Christmas period. I agree that you should treat your husband to a stay... With our 'designed for couples' spa treatments and our cliff tub hot tubs it really is the perfect experience for partners, too! Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Sevenoaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

What a lovely place, well appointed and modern feel. Spa was good size, we didn't have treatments but used the pool, steam room, relax room- top tip..ring in advance and book an out door hot tub session! Breakfast was a treat, great local food cooked well.
Didn't gave dinner, visited no6 in Padstow- 20 mins in a cab.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us - and good of you to post such a kind review of your time here. I agree that our breakfast is the perfect way to start the day, especially with the ocean as a backdrop! We hope you can come back to stay again soon.
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Booked the Scarlet for new year for the second year running. It wasn't a let down. Just as great as the last time and the 3 dy package they arrange for their guests is excellent. Room 22 was superb. The view is amazing. Highs were the hot tubs on the cliff, relaxing in the spa areas and the lounges and the breakfast / day time food. The environment too is out of this world - an amazing coast, sand, cliffs and sea waves that have to be seen to be believed. There are lots of activities if you want them. We are a bit private so didn't join in many. I missed to tea and cake that was available every afternoon last year, but you can have tea when you want and this is delightful. The only tweak required to make this place a heaven, is the evening food. It's fine dining, yes, but the portions are tiny and the chef seems to hate carbs. We had to fill up on bread as the meals are beautiful and tasty, but tiny. Expect the ubiquitous ' skid mark' of sauce on the pate and a post it note sized piece of fish. Ceps and gnocchi means spot the Ceps and gnocchi ( expect 3 pieces) . It made us laugh. I'm sure some of my fish could have lost this much flesh and survived to swim away:) . Bit too much binge - watching of masterchef professional in my view. After 10 mile sea walks something more honest humble and carb inclusive is required. It can still be fine dining!
Still, it was all fantastic and once of the best hotels in the world in my view.
We love it's adult only exquisite peaceful ambiance in an otherwise noisy world.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to review your stay with us, and I'm happy that you felt that you had a 'six star' start to the new year! It sounds like you really could make most of our beautiful coastline here, too, which is breathtaking at this time of year. Thank you also for your comments with regards to the kitchen, which I will pass on to our head chef for you. If you have any further comments please don't hesitate to contact me and we hope to see you again very soon.
Kindest regards
Erica
House Manager

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!